Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Can I get 64 track max with PT8 & MPT 1.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Again? You just wanna make me work here.

I'll do a tutorial on searching the DUC for info one day...and just for that, mykhal c has to do a video tutorial on how we get exactly 3G aware with the 3G switch as apposed to 2.7G. You've just been elected for LAA tutorial duty...and we want the tutorial in full blown 1080p HD.

There's about 4 or so ways to get more audio tracks in PT LE to the point were it's CPU dependent.

...and don't forget, an Instrument track can be used as an Aux track.

(Also solo safe the stereo track before you hide it. I didnt show that in those old vids.)

Shane
ok i asked for that one!!! i'm a lazy SOB today!!! shoulda searched before i stared typin'...i know!!!!

ok...on the /3gb switch. the key is DO NOT use the /userva switch to limit the apps. that and make sure you have your paging file set to 1024 for that extra gig of memory (even tho it's virtual). here's a link to the switches available... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

valuable text from link...

/3GB

This switch forces x86-based systems to allocate 3 GB of virtual address space to programs and 1 GB to the kernel and to executive components. A program must be designed to take advantage of the additional memory address space. With this switch, user mode programs can access 3 GB of memory instead of the usual 2 GB that Windows allocates to user mode programs. The switch moves the starting point of kernel memory to 3 GB. Some configurations of Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 may require this switch.

/userva

Use this switch to customize the amount of memory that is allocated to processes when you use the /3GB switch. This switch permits more page table entry (PTE) kernel memory but still maintains almost 3 GB of process memory space.

Note Microsoft Product Support Services strongly recommends using a range of memory for the /USERVA switch that lies within the range of 2900-3030. This range is wide enough to provide a large enough pool of system page table entries for all currently observed issues. Usually a setting of /userva=2900 will provide close to the maximum available number of system page table entries possible.

and as we all know, thanks to you and sunburst, the video cards do come into play.

one more link...http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/arc...fying-3gb.aspx for those that really wanna dig into it!!!

i've got more techie links but i gotta dig 'em up. and i've already proven that my 'search for $.h.i.t' finger is not really participatin' today!!!!

thanks Shane!! you da man!!

EDIT: oh yeah...what's the syntax for applyin' unique names to URLs??? i said i'm lazy today!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
EDIT: oh yeah...what's the syntax for applyin' unique names to URLs??? i said i'm lazy today!!!
Just click and drag to highlight any text you want a URL, then click on the Insert Link Icon to type in the URL. A wee bit easier and faster.

one more link...

...and great post!! It will get lost and I'll ask you about this again(along with everyone else) so bookmark it to link to.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Simpson View Post
I guess the reason I'm confused is the following, clipped from the bottom of

I just don't want or need another freaking copy of SmackLE... or the TL stuff... or multitrack Beat whatever...

Bob you crack me up. I think I now have 4 smacks!! LOL

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Just click and drag to highlight any text you want a URL, then click on the Insert Link Icon to type in the URL. A wee bit easier and faster.

one more link...

...and great post!! It will get lost and I'll ask you about this again(along with everyone else) so bookmark it to link to.

Shane
mahalo brah!!! and as you said, much faster!!! i was waitin' on that 'url=' somethin' somethin' somethin'...closed bracket...open paren..etc...etc...etc...closed paren

Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
mahalo brah!!! and as you said, much faster!!! i was waitin' on that 'url=' somethin' somethin' somethin'...closed bracket...open paren..etc...etc...etc...closed paren
...or if you prefer.

Your post on the 3G switch was killer...but where's the HD tutorial vid? We need our hands held in here!

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
i can't get link for some reason. but i know it's some crazy stuff...whatever it is!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
i can't get link for some reason. but i know it's some crazy stuff...whatever it is!!!
Oh... Let's see if others can click on it ok. I've streamlined my video capture down to a fine art for speed. Faster than typing text now.

I hope i dont have to get my own server going.

Shane

Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 AM

so...
this gets you 3.0 GB RAM to use in Pro Tools vs the old thread which gives you 2.7?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeekzine View Post
so...
this gets you 3.0 GB RAM to use in Pro Tools vs the old thread which gives you 2.7?
the initial thread called for usin' the /userva switch which put a limit on the memory to use.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM

I feel like I'm missing the instructions somewhere.

My Boot.ini looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin /3GB

What should it be?