Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Thanks for all 26i/o @44.1 on the 2626

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Except for that, uhm, "bug" in 7.3cs1 that enabled all 32+ i/o on the Profire lightbridge...
As a sidenote, there have been many of these golden gem "bugs" throughout the years. Back in the day we only had 24 tracks in Pro Tools LE 5.1 but, it was very easy to get it up to 32 tracks. We would create a session consisting of 23 tracks and then import 9 blank audio tracks from another session and bingo...32 tracks in PT LE 5.1. Unfortunately, 9 years ago back then, Digi went on a rampage and deleted every single post regarding this, and I mean every one. The ironic thing about the mass exodus of this golden gem was that our computers could hardly handle 24 tracks back then never mind 32. Nontheless, you just cant stop free speech via email etc. When 5.3 came around, that so called "bug" was fixed.

If some of you guys only new.

If you're smart about it and put on your engineering hat, there are ways to get more I/O. There's always a solution.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
As a sidenote, there have been many of these golden gem "bugs" throughout the years. Back in the day we only had 24 tracks in Pro Tools LE 5.1 but, it was very easy to get it up to 32 tracks. We would create a session consisting of 23 tracks and then import 9 blank audio tracks from another session and bingo...32 tracks in PT LE 5.1. Unfortunately, 9 years ago back then, Digi went on a rampage and deleted every single post regarding this, and I mean every one. The ironic thing about the mass exodus of this golden gem was that our computers could hardly handle 24 tracks back then never mind 32. Nontheless, you just cant stop free speech via email etc. When 5.3 came around, that so called "bug" was fixed.

If some of you guys only new.

If you're smart about it and put on your engineering hat, there are ways to get more I/O. There's always a solution.

Shane
Sounds like they are putting in easter egg features for their employees and loved ones.

I will post whatever I discover...I believe in universal creative empowerment.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Sounds like they are putting in easter egg features for their employees and loved ones.

I will post whatever I discover...I believe in universal creative empowerment.
Why of course. It's always fun to be the first to discover some of these "bugs" and making it known. I've been there myself over the years.

On the subject of Easter eggs...there are quite a few good ones in PT 8...and these aren't "bugs" to be fixed by the way.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane

maybe you could elaborate on this a bit....
Old 01-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
maybe you could elaborate on this a bit....
Well there are undoubtedly ways if you can write your own plugins. The virtual instrument interface allows the generation of multiple input feeds to Pro Tools channels, and a VI could be written that circumvents most of the limits they put on the native line, including track counts etc.

There is also the Rewire plugin, that you could buy a copy of Ableton Live and rewire its i/o into Pro Tools. Not sure about the latencies incurred when doing so, and what limitations they have slapped on it.

For track counts, you can use melodyne plugin to record a track and then move the plugin to an aux input. It will play back the audio in time afaik, and you can tune it at the same time.

It's possible that the Kore plugin, which lets you access AU plugins in Pro Tools, would also allow circumvention of the limitations.

...Trying to think of more...
Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

that isnt "I/O".
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
that isnt "I/O".
Tough crowd.

Anyway if you're keen you could dig around looking for gaps in the armor. For instance, maybe they "forgot" to block hardware Inserts or "forgot" to block audio coming in on Instrument tracks. Maybe if you use sends you can access those outputs that you can't otherwise, because of an, ehm, "bug."

These are the sorts of things they may do to create an "in crowd" of friends of the company while still telling Bain etc. they are doing everything they can to extract every cent of revenue from the hoi polloi.

I hate "in crowds." That's a hollywood attitude. No place for that in music or software.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 AM

About this 18 I/O thing.
When you can't beat them join the other.

Being a recording studio & engineer since 1972, using ProTools since 1992, I think ( version 2.5, I still have the floppy ) came all the way to HD2 with a rack mounted full with interfaces etc (32 inputs). It became problematic to stow all this stuff + mics/stands/cabels etc. in the back of my car to do a location job.

Got me a 2626, after reading a great review in Resolution, in april 2008 or so. Also a MacBookPro with ProTools MP. Stupid as I am, I never realised PTMP never goes over 18 simultanious inputs. I do need this sometimes, recording a bigger band or even an orchestra may need more inputs ( mic-ing the hall in surround is at least 4 inputs ).
I'm getting to old to carry my HD set. ( I do this alone ) So this small PT-MP set ( I use 2x RME octa's on the 2626-adat inputs ), was the solution, I thought. But alas, life isn't easy.

When PT 8 cannot accept 24 inputs, I have to buy Logic 8. Sorry to say, PT HD never let me down.
But now it's better to imform myself on beforehand.
Has anyone ever worked with a 2626 with Logic & 24 simultanious inputs, and does this work?
I want to import the 24 wav tracks into my PT HD session and edit, mix etc.

All the best, stay in tune.
Ben
Balance Recording
Amersfoort NL.

PT HD2-C24 & a lot more.
PT MP-2626- MacBookPro dual 2.4 - 4gb(coming up) - 10.5.5
FCP studio2.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 AM

all i got to say is that i am glad i went out and bought a lightbridge and mpowered 7.3 the day i saw that it "leaked" with 32 inputs enabled. i reserve a corner of my hard drive on my mac book pro with a tiger partition just to have 7.3 installed.
i do agree, the input limitation is stupid. however, i would guess we would see more inputs in LE before mpowered, as LE looks to be the favored one. there would have to be new hardware for LE in order for this to happen, which requires development time. or, maybe they could just allow you to use two 002/003 together.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
i do agree, the input limitation is stupid. however, i would guess we would see more inputs in LE before mpowered, as LE looks to be the favored one. there would have to be new hardware for LE in order for this to happen, which requires development time. or, maybe they could just allow you to use two 002/003 together.
Yes this is how I think the management quells internal dissent over this issue, which must be very embarassing for the employees there. They tell them, "Full host-based power is waiting for the new hardware-based line" (the successor to HD) and, "Full i/o in M-powered is waiting for the new LE line." (the succesor to 003) This they do to artificially preserve upgrading interest.

But that's stupid as every single day the entire customer base is getting it ingrained in their minds that "Pro Tools LE/MP is a crippled joke" and "Pro Tools HD is a ripoff."

This means that the new hardware lines won't make as many non-upgrade sales to current users of competing software because those people have all been forced out of the tent and gotten comfortable elsewhere.

Instead the company should do whatever it can to keep all of those customers and let the gaddamn hardware upgrades sell themselves on their own intrinsic merits.