Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Moving to Reaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy5235 View Post
... Editing that is my only hold up at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Based on information that has crossed my desk, Reaper will likely be making some significant moves in the editing area in the not-to-distant future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
Who do you have to give a lap dance to get that kind of insider scoop anyway!
Who do you think they asked to be the consultant for some of the new up coming editing features?

I can attest that when it comes to any new REAPER editing features, you'll be in safe hands gents.

...and please, no lap dance is necessary.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I'm betting that when you say it so matter-of-fact like that, there would be plenty of those who love to embrace the latest and greatest when it comes to computing (eg 64bit) who would read that and say "sh*t. I'll look elsewhere".

Even 3 years is a long time to wait, and I sincerely hope that you're wrong.

I must admit, I've been sitting here for the last 2-3 hours going through Reaper tutorials - all of which are using Reaper x64 - and feeling that Reaper could very well become a composing tool for me while PT might still at least be used for mastering or something.

We have seen no evidence that a 64 bit PT engine has even been attempted to date and no word from headquarters to the contrary. It's easily a 2-3 year undertaking for a full time team. (we've been well over a year just getting PT8 straightened out). Fortunately we have apps like Reaper when combined with the upcoming PT 64bit driver (allowing PT to run in a 64bit environment) will give us ReWire capabilities to hold us over for a few years

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Fortunately we have apps like Reaper when combined with the upcoming PT 64bit driver (allowing PT to run in a 64bit environment) will give us ReWire capabilities to hold us over for a few years
But we would have to use Reaper 32bit to do that wouldn't we?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
But we would have to use Reaper 32bit to do that wouldn't we?

No. REAPER has also had a 64 bit version since the day of of it's release 4 years ago.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-20-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Hmm.. how about jBridge for using 64-bit VI's (and 32-bit for dedicated process, and thus RAM)? Reaper 32 ok with that?
Yes. They wrote their own "jBridge" and 1 up'd it. One has total control of even running plug-ins as a separate dedicated process or separate shared process or even in the host or all combination's with each plug-in being different. Or you can just assign this to a global setting.

Shane

Old 03-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
My best guess for a 64bit engine is about 3-7 years. It's a huge undertaking.
Looking at the history of their releases compared with everyone else, I'd say 4-8 years. 10 years wouldn't surprise me.

...if they're even still around.

Shane

Old 03-20-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
No. REAPER has also had a 64 bit version since the day of of it's release 4 years ago.
I meant when using ReWire.

Hasn't it been said that only the 32bit version of Reaper has full ReWire capabilities?

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheone View Post
Well said;

1212M served me well on more than a few occasions, I bought it with Emulator X which is a phenomenal sampler with a small but mighty library. X3 is on another level, it's like having that old hardware emu sampler with all the sound shaping features and superb sound quality.

Reaper is still growing on me; I've yet to try the Skin that makes it look like PT. Propellerheads Record/Reason is definitely my top daw and I'm integrating it and ableton live with reaper.

I've invested alot more in protools than I was able to get out of it in return; it's quite disappointing and I wish it didn't have to be that way; the way that Avid treats it's products and it's customers kinda makes you hate owning the software/hardware especially when you buy and build a system to take advantage of what you think is the best DAW.

My overall satisfaction with Reaper, Reason/Record and Live is positive and favorable; They're fantastic! Reaper's attention to detail in addressing software bugs is astounding; the price of the software is astounding; Reason and Record allows me to get [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] down and keeps me ahead of schedule; I ended up with two projects; start to finish not needing to go outside of the box. Live has brought me back to my roots with Deejaying, Remixing and Multi edit megamixing, i'm in awe at how easily you can put things together in this program. They're all processor efficient and work flawlessly in windows 7 x64 without a 20 page tweak for my bios and windows 7 services/processes. I moderately tweaked for my own personal use and it only took a few minutes.

That's why I moved on; the whole user experience with ProTools has turned to crap top to bottom. It's no longer a pleasant experience; it's a headache and it's hard to get work done when you're dealing with crashes and troubleshooting or having a piercing sound destroy your soundsytem and eardrums; there is no pushing your daw to the limit when you own protools; Protools in itself is the limitation and that needs to change.......
As sad as it is to say.. your story is not an uncommon one.

I'm reinstalled Windows 7 over the weekend and Reaper is running on it without so much as a hiccup. I also have Reaper installed on my 64-bit system and it shreds as far as performance is concerned! I switch my plug-ins while playing back, something I would never do in PT, and it just chugs right along.. sometimes I throw tasks at Reaper to intentionally get it to hang and it still amazes me. :)

I believe time is against PT here unless they scrap they codebase and start from scratch. The code base is based on ancient history and could be much cleaner and effective in terms of performance. But I highly doubt the bean counters at AVID will allow such a revamp. There has been no communication from AVID to address its users concerns and worries.. no talk of a better future.. <shrug>

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I believe time is against PT here unless they scrap they codebase and start from scratch. The code base is based on ancient history and could be much cleaner and effective in terms of performance. But I highly doubt the bean counters at AVID will allow such a revamp. There has been no communication from AVID to address its users concerns and worries.. no talk of a better future.. <shrug>
But don't you think this has already been going on for a few years? Maybe since the beginning of 64 bit technology? If they would have anounced it earlier, it would have been the death of them. I have a feeling there will be something VERY big in Digi/Avid's future, if we can wait that long.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
As sad as it is to say.. your story is not an uncommon one.

I'm reinstalled Windows 7 over the weekend and Reaper is running on it without so much as a hiccup. I also have Reaper installed on my 64-bit system and it shreds as far as performance is concerned! I switch my plug-ins while playing back, something I would never do in PT, and it just chugs right along.. sometimes I throw tasks at Reaper to intentionally get it to hang and it still amazes me. :)
I've also become one of those who has said "hell, I've gone and upped my RAM to over 4Gb and invested in a 64bit OS, so I want to start enjoying 64bit apps!"

Last year I was a person who shrugged at 64bit, proclaiming that 32bit is all we really need when it comes to music production.
But I'm also a person who loves new technologies, and 64bit has become the reason for my excitement of that.

I will still always use Pro Tools in some way, but for the moment it's looking like a mastering tool at most for me.... until Digi get back to us on plans for the future of it.