Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 01:12 PM

Default New L.A. Post movement??

I've been hearing rumours of this from a guy I do ADR for in the L.A. region but didnt really believe it at all:

ex-HD L.A. user group.

His stats.

I cant see this happening. Have any of you guys in that region confirmed this? I find it hard to believe especially with the upcoming 7.2 release which seems to be more post aimed than ever.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-09-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: New L.A. Post movement??

Too many established Protools systems here in L.A. for this to even make a dent.

But, he has a right to his opinions, and the right to assemble, as allowed by the US Constitution!!!!

Honestly, Ive only seen a single Nuendo in a studio, and they only do language localization.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 PM

Shan,
In his letter he is going to be learning Nuendo in the next few weeks. "I am spending all of my time for the next couple of weeks learning the Nuendo system and am making appointments with all the studios, and many of the top supervisors in town to demonstrate that there is a superior alternative". How can you go on "a mission" if you don't know what your preaching about? Have Derek give me a call so we can meet at my place and he can preach to me about Nuendo. I personally have had nothing but trouble when dealing with Nuendo. It has cost me many hours of downtime.
By the way,he doesn't speak for me or any of the Sound Supervisors, Sound Designers, Sound Editors or fellow Re-Recording Mixers I know in L.A.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:39 PM

If I knew him I would definitely get him to call you. Best of luck to his mission. I cant see him making much of a dent. PT works great for my ADR personally and I myself have always had outstanding Digi support.

Maybe I'll shoot him an email and see whats up. It could also be nothing but a joke. Blogs are easy to create.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-09-2006, 01:45 PM

Hey Mr Gates, A friend of a friend told me about a company called Apples or Maco or something (i'll check with him later), but your days are numbered, I'm of on a tour of everywhere in the world to spread the word and I'm gonna bring you and your evil personal computer empire to it's knees hahahaheheheheheehahahahahohohho (evil genius laugh) WISH ME LUCK!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I cant see this happening. Have any of you guys in that region confirmed this? I find it hard to believe especially with the upcoming 7.2 release which seems to be more post aimed than ever.

Indeed.
IF 7.2 is going to offer what they announced it´s going to be the biggest improvement of PT since Digi killed AudioVision. I really hope they won´t let uns post-workers down like when they released that announcment about the introduction of Bins in PT 5.1 (I think it was 5.1) The legendary "we will bring you the best of AV and PT on one ticket" I heard on Digi roadshows many years ago

The announcement of 7.2 is almost too good to be true. I really couldn´t believe it when I read the announcement. Especially when someone mentioned that the whole way fades are made will change. I read rumors about dragable fades. Wow! The return of ideas that were reality in AV version 1.0! I hope it will become reality this time even if there won´t be any bins.

Frank.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:43 PM

I remember reading an article in Mix about the mixer for "DeLovely" using a combo of Nuendo and a Euphonics(system 5, series 5?) console. He seemed pertty happy with the system. I don't know if Steinberg was paying him to pimp the system or if he was being genuine in his compliments. I know a picture editorial house that is building a mix room around Logic. I'll be curious to see how that works for them.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:06 PM

Would it be so terrible for there to be multiple platforms in use? Of course, I had thought the new competitor for PT would be SoundTrack Pro/Logic....

Philip Perkins
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 PM

Also--I haven't had much experience w/ Digi tech support in recent years--does he have a point about that?

Philip Perkins
Old 05-09-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
igBadHenchman said...
I have been bitching about Digidesign for years on numerous forums. Most people know me as Henchman.
It is a simple fact that you can do the same job in Nuendo in a fraction of the time it takes to do in Pro-Tools.

I'll give an example. I was asked to edit the dialogue for a Docuimentary I woudl be mixing. The Sioudn Supervisor gave me a Pro-Tools session,and I started working. It took me 8-10 hours to get through the first 15 minutes. At that point I thought "Screw This". I bough a copy of EDL-Convert Pro online, and transferred the session into Nuendo. It took , me 4 hours to finish the remaining 50 minutes in Nuendo.

PT's is one of the absolute worst audio programs I have ever used, and I have always considered it far from pro.

11:00 PM
BigBadHenchman said...
BTW, if you ever need an experienced auido-post guy familiar with both platforms to do soem long distance editing, let me know.

When you say things like the above quote, you sound childish, no one will take you seriously. List your gripes and let's debate them. That goes for Mr Derek too.