Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Should I let Windows 7 Upgrade?

Thanks for that Guitardom. Helps to explain the CPU usage. I will go ahead and update everything, and then turn it off.
Randy
Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellip View Post
Ok,
Did an image of my drive at this point in time. I will follow everyone's advice and create a new image as I add plugins. I may even experiment with letting Windows go ahead and update most of the security patches, and see where that lands me !

Dverb test 2.0. Ok, the True official dverb test put QUITE a strain on the old Quad machine. I followed to the letter and was only able to put 122 dverbs on. CPU meter was bouncing back and forth between 92% and 94%.

..123 dverbs and the audio would break up every few seconds. So there it is. Is that Good? Bad? average? I'm not sure?
That's normal. The test tone was added to spot this old and odd bug that shows up now and then. You might be able to get 1000+ Dverbs, but the session and audio will be unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellip View Post
What is interesting though.. I went ahead and kept adding dverbs anyway, even with the audio breaking up, and when I got to 126 dverbs the CPU meter dropped down to 55%. I kept adding and recording (Audio breaking up) until I got to 670 dverbs and the CPU hit 99%-100% but did not go into the red, and did not throw up any errors. So what is the significance of having a pure audio tone? is it to simulate more of a real world usage?
This is the behavior of a very odd and old bug that has showed up over the years on certain systems, hence we added the test tone and CPU usage monitoring to spot it. We first saw it in the original Tyan Quadzilla PC build thread when forum member 3JDamon was claiming 480+ Dverbs, while everyone else was getting 130ish or so. 3Jdamon eventually debunked his own system, but what causes this still seems to be unknown as far as I know.

Your 122 Dverb benchmark is in the ballpark for your system. Don't forget to do all the Windows 7 Optimizations and create some Disk Images. Hope that info helps clarify things.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit

Last edited by Shan; 08-05-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Amendments with reference links added
Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Thank You, I really appreciate your time explaining the test and some history behind things..
Zalman CNPS9500 cooling Fan
ASUS EAH3450 512MB Radeon 64 bit video
SIIG 1394 PCI firewire
Corsair 650 Watt power supply
Corsair 4GB DDR2 1066 ram
2X Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
Lite-On 20x DVD-r
Dual 22" Hannspree LCD

Control 24/Digi 003R/PT10/RME ADI-8/Waves SSL/Waves Platinum/URS CSP/IK Total Studio 2 bundle/Massey/Strike/MPTK 1
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
This is the behavior of a very odd and old bug that has showed up over the years on certain systems, hence we added the test tone and CPU usage monitoring to spot it. We first saw it in the original Tyan Quadzilla PC build thread when forum member JCBigler was getting 500+ Dverbs, while everyone else was getting 130ish or so. What causes this still seems to be unknown as far as I know.

Your 122 Dverb benchmark is in the ballpark for your system. Don't forget to do all the Windows 7 Optimizations and create some Disk Images. Hope that info helps clarify things.

Shane
Woahh...I just saw this post. I remember that thread, but I don't think it was me that got the 500+ DVerbs. I don't remember ever getting more than the normal amount of DVerbs...Maybe my memory is flaking out, though.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Woahh...I just saw this post. I remember that thread, but I don't think it was me that got the 500+ DVerbs. I don't remember ever getting more than the normal amount of DVerbs...Maybe my memory is flaking out, though.
My error. I meant user 3JDamon. You were definitely there though with the rest of us doubting the claim. My main issue was other users who started building his system thinking they would get the same results, and they didn't. He eventually debunked his system. Out of this came the Dverb 2.0 Test to spot anything like this down the road, which it has. Thanks for pointing out my error. I amended my earlier post you quoted and added reference links:

Quote:
This is the behavior of a very odd and old bug that has showed up over the years on certain systems, hence we added the test tone and CPU usage monitoring to spot it. We first saw it in the original Tyan Quadzilla PC build thread when forum member 3JDamon was claiming 480+ Dverbs, while everyone else was getting 130ish or so. 3Jdamon eventually debunked his own system, but what causes this still seems to be unknown as far as I know.
It's hard to believe that old Allenstein Quadzilla builds thread with the original pioneers is almost a decade old.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
It's hard to believe that old Allenstein Quadzilla builds thread with the original pioneers is almost a decade old.

Shane
I know, it's crazy how long we've been doing this.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One