Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC(8-core) and Quadzilla(4-core)

A few more hours...3...2...1...

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
At this very moment..... The Intel Quad.

Hands down since the Quad core AMD CPU's have not been released yet.
And have not been tested.
If I had to build one today 9/10/07 I would build the Intel Quad.

Matt
Has the Intel Quad been tested like the AMD. I'm ready to build 2 systems right now, one for a friend one for me. I just want rock solid stability. I was leaning toward the AMD cause I like the idea of upgrading to octo later down the line. Iv never built a intel before, but if you say Intel then Intel it is.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Hmmm, <$450 to get a pair of HE CPUs that draw less power than my current HE at double the CPU power? Guess I'm gettin' an xmas present early this year.
4GB DDR2 ECC Reg
2 300GB SATA HD
Thermaltake VA8003BWS
Antec 550HE Modular P/S
Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 PM

...and we're off and runnin'!

The Webcast presentation. Looks like Rick McCallum from Lucas Film kicks everything off...and to think I almost joined the darkside by getting an Intel Quad in a week or so after giving up on AMD. That was close.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
...and we're off and runnin'!

The Webcast presentation. Looks like Rick McCallum from Lucas Film kicks everything off...and to think I almost joined the darkside by getting an Intel Quad in a week or so after giving up on AMD. That was close.

Shane
we ALWAYS KNEW where you stood despite how you presented/present yourself in OTHER threads!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:

we ALWAYS KNEW where you stood despite how you presented/present yourself in OTHER threads!!!
The AMD release was a surprise indeed! I totally gave up on them with all the promised release dates that date back to July 2006. The next step is seeing how these do in the real world with Pro Tools via the Phenom Quad CPU's and regular unregistered ram. And with all the postponed release dates, I still have my doubts that the Phenom will be out before December. We shall see.

At the moment though, I have 4 Intel boxes(Two are Duos) and 1 AMD box. All run Pro Tools in my studio. So, technically, I guess that still makes me an Intel fanboy.

...and being the technically savy man that you are mykhal c, I ALWAYS KNEW you'd hold out getting that Intel Quad going until the AMD native Quads arrived.

I have an AMD Phenom Quad spec just for you.

All joking aside though, we're all very curious what these native quad CPU's can do with Pro Tools. Also, the affordability of the 8-core systems is quite the surprise! With everything we've learned in this thread and the Intel thread though, we're taking the Phenom route over the Barcelonas at this point.

Having said that, it's about time we see a REAL full blown Pro Tools Native application. LE just isnt taking the advantage of all the power we now have and the days of DSP card based applications are...um...err...let's just say, very "20th Century". It can be done. There's nothing to prove anymore.

Shane

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 AM

Quote:
...we ALWAYS KNEW where you stood despite how you presented/present yourself in OTHER threads!!!

That's like deciding between Jeff... or Jaco.

Shane

Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
...we ALWAYS KNEW where you stood despite how you presented/present yourself in OTHER threads!!!

That's like deciding between Jeff... or Jaco.

Shane
now for me that one truly is a no brainer...JACO hands down!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The AMD release was a surprise indeed! I totally gave up on them with all the promised release dates that date back to July 2006. The next step is seeing how these do in the real world with Pro Tools via the Phenom Quad CPU's and regular unregistered ram. And with all the postponed release dates, I still have my doubts that the Phenom will be out before December. We shall see.

At the moment though, I have 4 Intel boxes(Two are Duos) and 1 AMD box. All run Pro Tools in my studio. So, technically, I guess that still makes me an Intel fanboy.

...and being the technically savy man that you are mykhal c, I ALWAYS KNEW you'd hold out getting that Intel Quad going until the AMD native Quads arrived.

I have an AMD Phenom Quad spec just for you.

All joking aside though, we're all very curious what these native quad CPU's can do with Pro Tools. Also, the affordability of the 8-core systems is quite the surprise! With everything we've learned in this thread and the Intel thread though, we're taking the Phenom route over the Barcelonas at this point.

Having said that, it's about time we see a REAL full blown Pro Tools Native application. LE just isnt taking the advantage of all the power we now have and the days of DSP card based applications are...um...err...let's just say, very "20th Century". It can be done. There's nothing to prove anymore.

Shane
it's amazin' how my lack of extra cash flow (no Q6600 build yet) transforms into technical savy!!! i like it!!

seriously tho, can't wait to see what you build, how it performs, and if we'll see a REAL FULL-BLOWN NATIVE PT!!! keep on buildin' my friend!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
it's about time we see a REAL full blown Pro Tools Native application. LE just isnt taking the advantage of all the power we now have and the days of DSP card based applications are...um...err...let's just say, very "20th Century". It can be done. There's nothing to prove anymore.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks