Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Back in the early 90's I wrote a pocket object database for apps that saved everything in one file and did it way FASTER than your typical full-commit approach. There is no reason why this wouldn't be a better approach with intelligent engineering...the problem of course being the extreme scarcity of intelligent engineering...
This would also end the nightmare of LOST audio files! How can DIGI allow this to happen? They should be locked to your session like Gorilla Glue.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
It's sad that we have to look for other solutions to record and then bring it all into PT. Please Digi, get rid of that damn "LE" philosophy. It's dated old 20th Century marketing poo poo. Our hard earned money goes to other apps for solutions when it doesnt need to. Considering this tough economic climate we're in, I think you would like us to invest in you...instead of others for our countless "work around" solutions. Many of us have dedicated 10 years to LE and the frustration with the slowest development on the planet is an understatement.
Shane
thank you Shan, how many work arounds have I dealt with instead of making music....
I am going on 10 years and am patient, but come on I want more than 18 inputs and NEED more than 32 busses........
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
This would also end the nightmare of LOST audio files! How can DIGI allow this to happen? They should be locked to your session like Gorilla Glue.
...or audio files recorded to another drive or partition instead of the main audio folder which I'm sure we've all experienced more than once.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
...or audio files recorded to another drive or partition instead of the main audio folder which I'm sure we've all experienced more than once.

Shane
Ive leaned the disc allocation lesson tooooooo many times
Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
thank you Shan, how many work arounds have I dealt with instead of making music...
Confronting the total hours of lost time with work arounds and troubleshooting etc would probably reveal a shocking number we wouldn't want to know.

Quote:
I am going on 10 years and am patient, but come on I want more than 18 inputs and NEED more than 32 busses........:cool
My 10 years gets re-evaluated Jan 1st 2010. The "patience" will end then with a decision made on my DAW usage future. The new up and coming young pups that are appearing with fresh code and a fresh perspective right down to marketing in this modern internet era definitely have my attention.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
My 10 years gets re-evaluated Jan 1st 2010. The "patience" will end then with a decision made on my DAW usage future. The new up and coming young pups that are appearing with fresh code and a fresh perspective right down to marketing in this modern internet era definitely have my attention.

Shane
Me too. Me too. Me too.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM

I am a M-Powered User

There is only ONE problem [So Far] that I have with Reason & Record.

Why in the hell they did not COMBINE the 2 and made it into REASON 5....?

You have to open up 2 separate applications in order to use Reason and Record.

People are getting really tired of having to have 2 applications opened just to do one task.
[MAKE MUSIC].

Its the same thing with Protools and Reason.
its 2 applications that takes up massive amount of CPU processing.
Specially if a user has lots of tracks with Effects and Automations.

But of course Protools is not Reason,
So that part is understandable. because they are 2 different companies.

But as far as for Propellerheeads, its one company, so.....
Propellerheads need to combine the 2 and make it into ONE program.
OR
At least have the option of buying a combined version at least.

So users can be able to just open ONE application and not 2

Wavelabs
Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post
There is only ONE problem [So Far] that I have with Reason & Record.

Why in the hell they did not COMBINE the 2 and made it into REASON 5....?

You have to open up 2 separate applications in order to use Reason and Record.

People are getting really tired of having to have 2 applications opened just to do one task.
That's actually what Record is, one application to do it all. If you have Reason, you can use all its instruments and effects in Record. It can load Reason songs of all versions.

And at 499 for both apps in one go, it's inexpensive as well. You want to work in their environment ? There you go. Taking your material out with lots of 'use the fx or not' and 'use the volume/pan faders or not' options is a breeze.

Its performance capabilities will probably make it a great option to bypass Protools' track count limit and its clumsy system behavior on PCs. It is easy to sample-accurately send sub-mixes in to Protools via Rewire, though I'm beginning to doubt that many people will want to deal with Protools LE's insanley archaic limitations and lack of professional-grade delay compensation. Most people I meet just use Reaper for that and just ditch Protools alltogether.

This ought to add to the fire burning under Digidesign/Avids backside considerably, because a great performer Protools no longer is, and cost efficient it ain't for any prospecting users.

Wish it weren't so, but what can you do.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It is easy to sample-accurately send sub-mixes in to Protools via Rewire, though I'm beginning to doubt that many people will want to deal with Protools LE's insanley archaic limitations and lack of professional-grade delay compensation. Most people I meet just use Reaper for that and just ditch Protools alltogether.

This ought to add to the fire burning under Digidesign/Avids backside considerably, because a great performer Protools no longer is, and cost efficient it ain't for any prospecting users.

Wish it weren't so, but what can you do.
I'm sure ^V|> feels the heat, but their (mis)management is so oddball, they might decide the best defense option is actually to commit seppuku and go high-end only. I.e. purposefully turn themselves into another Euphonix or some other minor player, following in the footsteps of their video wing.

It's really hard to list the myriad ways how grievious a strategic error that would be, but when you think about it, it's just another notch beyond their current strategic self-annihilation.

Oh and Shan you might want to wait a couple weeks in January till Winter NAMM opens. Missing the Xmas buying season would be awful for them in the consumer space, but they might not have the hops to get something out before then.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
thank you shan, how many work arounds have i dealt with instead of making music....
I am going on 10 years and am patient, but come on i want more than 18 inputs and need more than 32 busses........
amen * 100^100