Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
What once seemed to be perfect or very good now is staring to seem problematic at best.
I like PT! It is a tool for me.
There is one thing, though, that is strange: 6.9, 7.1 and 7.3 were good. But 7.4 and 8, there the troubles started to get to an extent where they really are obstacles for my creativity and work flow. I am still able to get things done, but the efforts and workarounds cost time.
I understand that porting the code to C++ is tedious for Avid, but it should not happen that things get worse, because obviously Avid is not capable to pin down the root cause - please correct me, if i am wrong!
Or maybe Avid has other priorities?
I want a stable platform, and in my experience PT has deteriorated. PT is problematic not due to my increasing experience and knowledge, but because of some technical problems on Avids side, be it legacy code or increasing features, or whatever.
I would regret to be forced by a deteriorating platform to move somewhere else. I hope Avid gets the basic things (for example play/pause issue, and others) working flawlessly!
Old 05-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
digi should be scared. The natives are coming.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Interesting that Studio One was developed by Kristallabs - of which the two main programmers originally came from Steinberg and Nuendo/Cubase. Lots of discussion over at GS.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The problem I have is that I think the music is suffering seriously. All music is infused with the context of the times.

I'm certain that if you applied the same musicians and work-flow today that we used during the 1960s and '70s, the result would be much more engaging, utterly contemporary music having a completely fresh style. The dehumanization of music that is caused by overdubbing, electronic instruments running presets and headphones is a serious musical problem and really a spiritual issue.
PREACH!! sample this, sample that. recycle this and that. hell, back in the day when you put musicians in a room together it was about CREATIVITY!!! NOBODY's was tryin' to come up with $.hit that had already been played...much less already recorded!!!! for 'some', music has become anythin' but a spiritual connection that i 'think/believe' all hands on, truly 'hands-on playing' musicians, who have put the time into mastering their gift, would acknowledge. and personally i acknowledge all those that can compose from samples and pre-recorded music as havin' their 'own' set of skills. but that set of skills is entirely different from those that have sat with an instrument(s) in their hands all their life or learned from their vocal coach!! just sayin... and yes i LUV some STYLUS RMX too!!! so i stride the fence like a lotta cats do!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
PREACH!! sample this, sample that. recycle this and that. hell, back in the day when you put musicians in a room together it was about CREATIVITY!!! NOBODY's was tryin' to come up with $.hit that had already been played...
Speaking of which, dont I owe you a Rhodes track over a jazz groove you sent me eons ago? Oops.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Discogalaxyrecords View Post
...I think we should wait the next great update will come (I hope). I saw on www.musotalk.de some videos from ableton, steinberg office... they were working on some updates and also Digi is working on some I think. Developement needs time and major updates can take two years of developement. And nobody from all of them would tell what will be in the next update. So we have to wait and hear. Best regards and keep your love for PT
Many of us here have been waiting for 10 years just for the most basic fundamental features that are standard in every other DAW. These most basic features impede work flow and the whole creative process. It doesn't take 10+ years to implement some of the most basic elements such as ADC, among many other features. The decision to not have these is a marketing and business one which seems to have backfired because there are now many other great options to use and more on the way. The whole music industry is completely different. It's pretty hard to "keep the love for PT" after 10 years of support and dedication.

64bit for us means access to more RAM...not a 64bit audio engine.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Reaper looks really good! What kind of hardware would a guy need? (oops,,, wrong place to ask! Sorry???)
I'll be using Digi HD hardware with it next week to do some tracking in another studio and REAPER will be running completely off my USB thumbdrive.

Shane

Old 05-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Speaking of which, dont I owe you a Rhodes track over a jazz groove you sent me eons ago? Oops.

Shane
ooppssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
64bit for us means access to more RAM...not a 64bit audio engine.

Shane
i 'll take 64 bit for ram's sake and a mix engine's sake!! i know my rig will tell the difference in ram and i gotta believe my ears will tell the difference in the mix!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
...At first the users comes in very gung ho and happy to be using PT LE. Maybe it's their first DAW, maybe it's their first experience with Pro Tools at all but in any case they are very excited and enjoy their experience. Some even become 'fan boys' as Shan describes it, defending Pro Tools with an almost religious zeal. As time goes on they start to realize the limitations. Both the limitations of LE itself, and the limitations all software has, but predominantly the limitations LE has in relations to PT TDM and to other software.

So the user comes to a crossroads. What once seemed to be perfect or very good now is staring to seem problematic at best. Most users choose one of two paths for the most part. In the first camp we have those who drop Pro Tools altogether and move on to another software that best fits their needs. Problem solved. The other camp sees Pro Tools as one tool in a box with many choices so they choose to keep using Pro Tools and add other software to their workflow to overcome the limitations of LE.

I suppose a very small third camp would be those who move onto Pro Tools TDM, but those are very, very few and far between.
I myself had the opportunity to invest in HD a few years ago. I even tried it out for a few weeks in my studio. I just couldn't justify the decision to make the purchase no matter how hard I tried(and like a true fanboy I tried) and also knowing the modus operandi of Digidesign just from being a long time user. I think that 3rd camp has always been very very small and it's probably next to nothing in this modern era of insane performance from native systems.

Quote:
But in my experience the majority of people who go through this end up in the second camp. In any case this dynamic gets repeated over and over and over.
The second camp is definitely what I've been seeing over the years also.

Quote:
Shan you know this very well. You have lived through this for many years. And maybe you have come to the point where Pro Tools no longer has a place in your toolbox. So be it.
It's place is definitely getting smaller over time. The music industry and whole recording process has completely changed including many of the workflows. I'd love to see Digi change with it but they are stuck in their old senior citizen DAWorld ways. This includes HD. If Digidesign had the modern tools, I'd be purchasing and using them.

Quote:
There is however no religion here. There are many tools to choose from in the marketplace. Pro Tools is one of them. It's been my experience that when you balance all the good and bad, Pro Tools is one of the better overall tools but it's never been perfect. PT LE because of its limitations has less to offer but it does have some very good things to offer.
I even see the above starting to change. The offerings of even HD are pretty dated and just not attractive anymore especially in this modern economy and completely different music industry.

Quote:
It very much depends on the person and how they work and what their needs are. For some people one piece of software can meet all their needs and good for them. All they need to do is find what that one software is and they are set. For most people my experience has been that they use many different tools depending on the situation and for most, PT LE does have a place in that toolbox.
Though I'd love to use it for everything, it's pretty much just a tool that gets used for what I consider it best at.

Quote:
With that in mind, it's good news that Reaper finally released 3.0. ...I think having a full release on both platforms will help their future growth. It still needs a lot of work on their capabilities as a post production tool however. Exciting news nonetheless.
Post production for REAPER definitely has a ways but at the rate those guys work, it wont take them long. I just need some editing feature requests sorted and it be perfect. At least I wont be waiting 10 years though.

Shane

Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
gotta admit THIS IS THE ONE i'm waitin' on!!! RECORD is really cool from the demos i've seen. but S1 seems like a major step to me. the AUTO T/S, drag-n-drop plugs, ADC, Unlimited audio tracks, MIDI tracks, virtual instruments, buses, and FX channels......killer...PERIOD!!! anyway...lotsa toyz boyz and girlz!!!
I'll be definitely checking out that gem and getting some hands on. The speed of work flow concept has got my attention. Let's see what their 1.0 release delivers.

I noticed a few common DUC names on the S1 forums these days. Typical DAW sluts.

Shane