Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 PM

Default 64 bit understanding

Can someone explain to a dummy what the advantages of 64 bit is and how it will apply to my system? See my signature. It may not even be something that affects me.

Thanks guys. Sorry to be an idiot but recording takes up almost all of my time and I don't get to look to much here unless I have an issue.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Default Re: 64 bit understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Can someone explain to a dummy what the advantages of 64 bit is and how it will apply to my system? See my signature. It may not even be something that affects me.

Thanks guys. Sorry to be an idiot but recording takes up almost all of my time and I don't get to look to much here unless I have an issue.
Basically a 64 bit version of PT would allow us to use as much RAM as the system has. This is of great benefit to many sample based VI's etc among other things.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Only problem is, without a total re-write, PT is only qualified for 32-bit systems right now. Some people have it kind of working some of the time, though....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Only problem is, without a total re-write, PT is only qualified for 32-bit systems right now. Some people have it kind of working some of the time, though....
Well, it wouldn't take an entire rewrite to do what most people want it to do. With some creative thinking, it would only take an addition added to the RTAS code. As we know, ReWire instruments use and access RAM outside of the Pro Tools application. Since this is the case, the Virtual Instrument is not limited to the 3G ram limit(using the 3G switch of course). Digidesign can apply this exact method with technology they already have and developed 10 years ago. We use to have Digi StreamManager which evolved into DirectConnect. DirectConnect was exactly what ReWire is today. No one developed anything for DirectConnect except for only 3-4 VI's which were Mac only so unfortunately, it flopped and was dropped(sort of). DirectConnect eventually morphed into HTDM. HTDM was a way to host TDM plug-ins on the host CPU. Again, development of HTDM VI's were near nonexistent and it also flopped and was dropped after RTAS was better implemented in HD. More specifically, the ability to finally use RTAS on Aux tracks in the TDM world. If Digi could implement the StreamManager/DirectConnect technology already developed and use it on the RTAS I/O, then the plug would be able to use RAM existing outside of PT's limits. Since it will probably end up being a 32bit app running in a 64bit OS for a few more years to come, this tiny RTAS 2 overhaul would greatly benefit and there is little to no R&D cost involved as Digi already developed this 10+ years ago.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 AM

If you look at the bit bandwidth and compare it to a highway you understand that twice as many cars can drive on a 64 lane highway compared to a 32 lane highway.

This applies to computers as well. With 64 bit bandwith the CPU can read twice as long binary words simultaniously as computers with 32 bit bandwidth.