Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2010, 02:43 AM

Default Re: The Official Unofficial Windows 7 Thread

I havent been on the DUC in quite a while.. and what do i see... someone taking shots at Shan.

Sorry... i figure i need to get my fellow vancouverites back.

I haven't posted anything in a long time.... why you ask?

Well let me tell you something guy with the username Burrito (berooni or whatever your name is)... it was help from the likes of Shan and Mykhal C that my studio (Protools LE and Digi 003) is back up and running.

Did i get any hint of ego, or sarcasm from them... absolutely not. They were just willing to help.

So, if shan has the capabilities of setting up 18 mics on a drumset, and wants to share his findings about the problems that arise... so be it. If he wants to use reaper.... so be it.

For the longest time, we all saw the dreaded 6088s.... there is only so much one man can take. Going to reaper was a valid option at the time.

B-out.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 AM

Shane and Benoni ..get on the phone for once ..yall seem like two opposite people for real.

Anyway I convince my artist to buy a mbox 2 mini also, he seems happy with it. He has a quad core with Windows 7 32bit. He had messed up the installation by plugging in the mbox early but all was fine after we uninstall everything and install again. No distortion effect at all. He also claims when that his tascam 122L interface provided more power to his monitor speakers.

He now has the mbox 2 mini has the default windows device and currently learning pro tools. So I guess you can say I'm not all that angry with digi no more. Here are my findings from extensive time on the issue of metallic distortion:

For the 8.0.4b drivers:

* Windows 7 32bit installs are perfect regardless if you messed up the install or had a crashed.
* Windows 7 64bit are perfect provided that its your first installation of pro tools and everything went okay. But a crash of your system can cause you mbox 2 to produce the metallic distortion regardless of the amount of installs, uninstalls and registry deleting you do.

* 64bit drivers have the most bugs..
*32bit is perfect with minor bugs..
*64bit audio drivers are better left with the 8.0.3 version. Which fixes the problem but you are left without ASIO(allows other DAWs or Audio Programs to use the mbox 2) and windows sounds support! Just pro tools only.
*64bit Pro Tools closes with a "Virtual Call" error some time.
*Rewire works with FL Studio, Reaper and Reasons in both 32 and 64bit but FL Studio has crash issues some times.
* The distortion is a easy fix for developers..so hurry up!

So Shane or Benoni ..my only option would be to restore my laptop to factory default huh? I'm guessing all my time spent installing plug ins, programs and setting up my preferences were well wasted including my money? Not to be harsh but no one seems to feel my pain.. ..wish I was lucky as you two...

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram130 View Post
Shane and Benoni ..get on the phone for once ..yall seem like two opposite people for real.
The invitation has been made multiple times. You've read his replies.

Quote:
So Shane or Benoni ..my only option would be to restore my laptop to factory default huh? I'm guessing all my time spent installing plug ins, programs and setting up my preferences were well wasted including my money? Not to be harsh but no one seems to feel my pain.. ..wish I was lucky as you two...
I definitely feel your pain on laptops. I've been through many. PC laptops are a huge hit and miss when it comes to Pro Tools. If you've exhausted all options and are ready for round two with a clean slate of a restore, it would be good to invest in Acronis True Image or something similar. Do incremental disk images along the way in case you have to revert. It will save you many long winded troubleshooting procedures in the end. I've been through many laptops with PT and they are quite the challenge. I've been out of the laptop loop with PT for quite some time. Finding that golden gem PC laptop for PT is a painful experience. I even had a Mac laptop and it was still a bit sketchy with PT. I ended up returning it.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The invitation has been made multiple times. You've read his replies.

I definitely feel your pain on laptops. I've been through many. PC laptops are a huge hit and miss when it comes to Pro Tools. If you've exhausted all options and are ready for round two with a clean slate of a restore, it would be good to invest in Acronis True Image or something similar. Do incremental disk images along the incase you have to revert. It will save you many long winded troubleshooting procedures in the end. I've been through many laptops with PT and they are quite the challenge. I've been out of the laptop loop with PT for quite some time. Finding that golden gem PC laptop for PT is a painful experience. I even had a Mac laptop and it was still a bit sketchy with PT. I ended up returning it.

Shane
Thanks for the reminder of doing back ups. Since you recommend Acronis I'll go with that instead of Macrium Reflect(which is free). I wish that I had done it from day one or when my mind told me its time, I could have reverted to that perfect setup before the crash with FL Studio. System Restore just won't let me go back that far or restore anything for that matter(real strange). Also I realize with laptops you just got to have the Intel Core Duo processor. Pro Tools 8 works perfectly on mine!. Love the mobility, I see my friends getting jealous in the future :)...

--

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder of doing back ups. Since you recommend Acronis I'll go with that instead of Macrium Reflect(which is free). I wish that I had done it from day one or when my mind told me its time, I could have reverted to that perfect setup before the crash with FL Studio.
I've kicked myself a few times for not making images on older systems. It's studio policy now.

Quote:
System Restore just won't let me go back that far or restore anything for that matter(real strange). Also I realize with laptops you just got to have the Intel Core Duo processor. Pro Tools 8 works perfectly on mine!. Love the mobility, I see my friends getting jealous in the future :)...
I'll probably return to the laptop realm when there's more of a choice with Quad laptops. Still a wee bit up there in price for now with most of them. The mobility is a definite plus!

You've got some good sounding tracks on your MySpace page by the way. Good job.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I've kicked myself a few times for not making images on older systems. It's studio policy now.

I'll probably return to the laptop realm when there's more of a choice with Quad laptops. Still a wee bit up there in price for now with most of them. The mobility is a definite plus!

You've got some good sounding tracks on your MySpace page by the way. Good job.

Shane
Thanks man!! The NoMaddz took me the most time since it was my first time doing a "dub poetry" project..was an interesting experience though...always up for trying new things..

Don't worry your time will soon come for mobility ..

--

Wah gwaan down deh..

Old 01-16-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks man!! The NoMaddz took me the most time since it was my first time doing a "dub poetry" project..was an interesting experience though...always up for trying new things..

Don't worry your time will soon come for mobility ..
Doing some first time "experimental" stuff myself. Definitely time consuming. I'd probably pick, "Where will you be" as my fave out of the lot.

Shane

Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberte3 View Post
Okay, I have read a large part of this thread (I read the first 30 pages or so in depth, then started skimming)

I have an MBox 2 Mini with Pro Tools 7.4 LE, and I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

I've tried R.A.A. for the installation and when opening Pro Tools, and I've tried this for both Windows XP (SP3) and Windows Vista (SP2) Compatability modes.
DEP is also set to the preferred settings as described earlier in this thread, and same goes for Internet Explorer 8.

While installing ProTools, the only error I had was this:

I am a registered user, so I downloaded the 7.4cs10 update, but it says that is only for M-Powered. Will installing this update help me at all?
I also downloaded the 8.03 update because someone one here mentioned that it may work to install just the necessary drivers from that update.
Will either of these help me at all?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out, and if the solution to this problem was posted elsewhere please link me to it because I've been looking around here for a few days.

I don't have the money to upgrade to PT8, and I also don't have the Windows XP Cd's - so I'm basically screwed if I can't figure this out. Thanks again.

Both ways (XP and Vista Compatability modes) give me the same error (the same error most people are getting):
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ProToolsLE.exe
Application Version: 7.4.0.309
Application Timestamp: 472841cc
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00038c39
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 4c0d
Additional Information 2: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

**And the following error code: 0xc0000005

Additional Information 3: 4c0d
Additional Information 4: 4c0d4d78887f76d971d5d00f1f20a433

Here is my SANDRA:
SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : Miles-PC
User : Miles

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Speed : 2.67GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
BIOS : Award (Phoenix) F5 02/24/2009
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 2GB DIMM DDR2

Chipset
Model : Giga-Byte P45/P43/G45/G43 DRAM Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 333MHz (1.33GHz)
Total Memory : 2GB DIMM DDR2
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 400MHz (800MHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Crucial 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-8000U DDR2-1000 (5-5-5-18 3-23-6-3)
Memory Module : Crucial 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-8000U DDR2-1000 (5-5-5-18 3-23-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (12 PS3.0, 5 VS3.0 562MHz, 256MB DDR3 2x702MHz, PCIe 1.00 x16)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 (160GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache) : 149GB (D:)
WDC WD1600YS-01SHB1 (164.7GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) : 153GB (C:)
USB Flash Memory 8GB (USB) : 7GB (F:)
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 3GB (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Local Disk2 (D:) : 149GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 (160GB, ATA100, 3.5", 7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
System Reserved : 100MB (NTFS)
Removable Drive (F:) : 7GB (FAT32) @ USB Flash Memory 8GB (USB)
Hard Disk (C:) : 153GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD1600YS-01SHB1 (164.7GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache)
3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : N/A
Pro Tools LE (E:) : 3GB (CDFS) @ LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Giga-Byte LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8718F
Audio Device : Giga-Byte HD Audio Controller
Serial Port(s) : 1
Parallel Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte 4 port SATA IDE Controller
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte 2 port SATA IDE Controller
Disk Controller : Giga-Byte JMB368 IDE Controller
USB Controller 1 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #4
USB Controller 2 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #5
USB Controller 3 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #6
USB Controller 4 : Giga-Byte USB EHCI Controller #2
USB Controller 5 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #1
USB Controller 6 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #2
USB Controller 7 : Giga-Byte USB UHCI Controller #3
USB Controller 8 : Giga-Byte USB EHCI Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Peripherals
Media Player : USB Flash Memory (7.45GB)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Wireless Adapter 1 : NETGEAR WPN311 RangeMax(TM) Wireless PCI Adapter (802.11g (ERP), AES-CCMP, 54Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 5.4
***I am also running this through USB.
Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrsewmo View Post
Thanks for the help...

Are you just seeing a box with nothing in it but 'Welcome To Pro Tools LE' at the top? ---Yes. quicktime? Yes, Itunes? No

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : System manufacturer System Product Name
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : Admin-PC
User : Georgia On My Mind

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
Speed : 2.4GHz
Cores per Processor : 4 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Quad-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 4x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 2x 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1402 04/21/2009
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 8GB

Chipset
Model : nVidia C55 Host Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 267MHz (1GHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : OCZ OCZ2T800C42G 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-24-6-3)
Memory Module : OCZ OCZ2T800C42G 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18 3-24-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) (96 SM4.0 1.1GHz, 320MB DDR3 2x792MHz, PCIe 1.00 x16)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
NVIDIA STRIPE 298.10G 320GB (RAID, NCQ) : 298GB (C:)
SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 298GB (NTFS) @ NVIDIA STRIPE 298.10G 320GB (RAID, NCQ)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ SONY DVD RW DW-Q120A (ATA66, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS MCP51 LPC Bridge
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8718F
Audio Device : ASUS MCP51 High Definition Audio
Audio Codec : Realtek Semiconductor 883 High Definition Audio
Audio Device : Creative Labs SB0410 SBLive! 7.1 24bit
Serial Port(s) : 1
Parallel Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : ASUS MCP51 Parallel ATA Controller
Disk Controller : ASUS MCP51 Serial ATA Controller
Disk Controller : ASUS JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller
USB Controller 1 : ASUS MCP51 USB Controller
USB Controller 2 : ASUS MCP51 USB Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : ASUS VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : nVidia MCP5+ SMBus 1
SMBus/i2c Controller 2 : nVidia MCP5+ SMBus 2

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : HP PSC 750 (300x300, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 5.9

Looks like all Hell broke loose around here. Shane has gone guns blazin in a haze of glory. Good stuff. Bad hangover from last night. Only intensifying the daunting task of getting this $300 protools software to actually work. I'd pay double the price if worked without 40-160 man hours of frustration.

I'm not even into the hassle of getting software to work yet. I can't get past the "welcome to protools" screen. It's blank. Pathetic software. Compatability issues from Hell software. Stick a fork in it, it's done software. Gimp with a limp software...any help is appreciated.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrsewmo View Post
Looks like all Hell broke loose around here. Shane has gone guns blazin in a haze of glory. Good stuff. Bad hangover from last night. Only intensifying the daunting task of getting this $300 protools software to actually work. I'd pay double the price if worked without 40-160 man hours of frustration.

I'm not even into the hassle of getting software to work yet. I can't get past the "welcome to protools" screen. It's blank. Pathetic software. Compatability issues from Hell software. Stick a fork in it, it's done software. Gimp with a limp software...any help is appreciated.
My friend got the same problem with 2 disc already. He took it back to the store and it work perfectly on the mac. Anyway they gave him a web installer for 8.0.3 which came up ok but he installed it wrong. After uninstalling it I told him to install iTunes and try the CD once more. It worked, cd auto run came up with the install pro tools le.

So install iTunes! and let us know if it works. Don't for get to restart after.

Quote:
Doing some first time "experimental" stuff myself. Definitely time consuming. I'd probably pick, "Where will you be" as my fave out of the lot.

Shane
Yeah that song is powerful. Thats music for you!

--

Wah gwaan down deh..