Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: session loading time in 7.4

I've seen odd behavior like this over the years since PT 5.01 when it comes to upgrades. The exact "Why"? Who knows. Doing a fresh install as apposed to an "upgrade" install always seems to bypass this stuff. Oh well, glad we have disk images cuz I got 7.3 back and runnin' again in 5 minutes. 7.4 is outta there!

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 AM

do you have more than one external drive....i noticed that my system by default was recording round robin under disk allocation this might add to your session load time
Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
do you have more than one external drive....i noticed that my system by default was recording round robin under disk allocation this might add to your session load time
i use many externals, but never to record, only for backups. they are never plugged in unless i am using them and put up immediatly when i am done. i have 3 internals. way to strict on my file management for something like that to slip by.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-21-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I've seen odd behavior like this over the years since PT 5.01 when it comes to upgrades. The exact "Why"? Who knows. Doing a fresh install as apposed to an "upgrade" install always seems to bypass this stuff. Oh well, glad we have disk images cuz I got 7.3 back and runnin' again in 5 minutes. 7.4 is outta there!

Shane

i've had quirky issues before, nothing this severe though. filo discovered it yesterday while demo'ing autotune, contacted me, my system was already on its way to having 7.4 clean and fresh, so i contacted a friend, had him try it and confirmed what filo found, load time was taking forever, pull autotune 5 out, load time was quick!!

what was your issue that drove you back to 7.3????

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: session loading time in 7.4 - waveform problem??

Quote:
Hi guys!
I do expierience a similar issue with the session loading time on 7.4.
I recognized that AFTER the plugins etc. are loaded - PT takes about 30 to 60 seconds to open the wave cache and then reads the region overviews, what takes about one more minute. So I think it must have to do something with the waveform overviews?! I don´t think it´s about the session itself or the PT Mixer.

large sessions?? are you running autotune 5????

Quote:
Another issue I have goes the same direction - the waveforms!
My PT switches the waveform of a newly recorded region, right at the stop hit. So the waveform displayed during recording is right - hit stop - and it switches to a wrong one. I don´t really know what waveform it places there - I guess it might be the correct waveform, but out of sync with the Audiofile. Recalculate waveform overviews swithes back to the right waveform.
Does anyone of you guys expierience that? Could you please do a record and recalculate the waveforms after that and see if something changes? I´m recording in Quick Punch mode - so you should do as well.

very strange indeed, no answer from myself on this one?? are you tracking with plugs on the master fader?

does it do it NOT in quick punch?? i use pre and post roll instead of quick punch myself, much more control of whats happening.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Looking like a plugin issue maybe then? It would be nice if it was that simple.

seemed like it might be, possibly autotune seems to be the main culprit, pulled it out, launched much better for a couple people.

BUT

after completely restoring my system from the start with a fresh install of 7.4 then the plugs (including autotune), everything is running fine, and launching fine..........

sunburst: see your from cleveland, very nice, i was born and raised outside columbus, dont miss it there this time of year though!
Autotune has caused problems for the original Quadders before so I would not be suprised, it's one of the reasons I bought Melodyne instead.

I'm thinking about installing 7.4 on the iQuad. I just finished up imaging 7.3 and hate to mess with it but from what you said it looks like I may want to roll it back before installing it. I dual boot so I victimise my MCE partition first on any upgrades

I'm glad that it seems like your fixed with the session load times for know and hopefully Digi will fix the RTAS Processer Selection bug with a cs patch very soon. I'm peaved about that and it doesn't even effect me. Other than that 7.4 IS looking to be fairly stable release though.

Global warming may turn Cleveland into a tropical paradise. it was 60+ yesterday and I was hearing shorts while mowing, er, raking the lawn

Glad to hear it seems fixed and that we may have narrowed it down to a plug.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Autotune has caused problems for the original Quadders before so I would not be suprised, it's one of the reasons I bought Melodyne instead.

we did not have any serious autotune problems, it was 4.39 then if i remember right, we just took a hit on a couple dverbs just for having it installed, wether it was running or not. we figured that out as soon as we started benchmarking the asus and tyans. not sure why, just one of those things!

Quote:
Global warming may turn Cleveland into a tropical paradise. it was 60+ yesterday and I was hearing shorts while mowing, er, raking the lawn

its been abnormally warm here to!! if ohio starts getting that warm and nice in the winter, i will be packing my bags next week to go back home!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
...what was your issue that drove you back to 7.3????
Performance hit taking away performance that I need for my job and annoying bugs such as the incorrect waveform drawing among many others. 7.4/Vista/ME belong together.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Another issue I have goes the same direction - the waveforms!
My PT switches the waveform of a newly recorded region, right at the stop hit. So the waveform displayed during recording is right - hit stop - and it switches to a wrong one. I don´t really know what waveform it places there - I guess it might be the correct waveform, but out of sync with the Audiofile. Recalculate waveform overviews swithes back to the right waveform.
Does anyone of you guys expierience that? Could you please do a record and recalculate the waveforms after that and see if something changes? I´m recording in Quick Punch mode - so you should do as well.

very strange indeed, no answer from myself on this one?? are you tracking with plugs on the master fader?

does it do it NOT in quick punch?? i use pre and post roll instead of quick punch myself, much more control of whats happening.
A known bug that has been around for ages but is now showing up in everyones systems. A post here and another here on the problem. Now that it's popped up on the Mac, maybe it will finally get resolved. My solutions in the past were to consolidate, but you'll get a gazillion extra regions in the bin. Another solution is to Recalculate waveform Overviews in the region menu.

Shane

Old 11-21-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Performance hit taking away performance that I need for my job and annoying bugs such as the incorrect waveform drawing among many others. 7.4/Vista/ME belong together.

Shane

so i take it me and you are anxiously awaiting phenom????

so the incoreect waveforms, is it a constant or intermittent problem when it arises, have not had the problem myself???

i am excited now to actually start using 7.4 and you shoot me down with this!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10