Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

I wasn't trying to criticize you. I have also worked on some awful code in my life.

But I disagree with your idea that supporting the Control 24 could potentially be a large investment of Avid's time and resources. If it is, they have bungled something terribly. I can't believe that because the Software Engineers at Avid are smart. They have faced major challenges making PT software interface with hardware transparently in real time. They couldn't have designed the controller code that badly. Even if it once was, they have had 15 years to fix the design. There should be one interface into the software shared by every controller and controller type. The Control 24 should be just one more controller. And they have had that controller working with their software for years and years, so it should simply be a port to 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Correction...and BTW, I also write code for a living...

Anyone who would design a system TODAY as you've described would be fired.

I've been cursed with having to do lots of "maintenance" coding in my career...you would not believe some of the stuff I've encountered...
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 PM

I think I'm gonna go with C on this one and just let it go...

Avid has given us what they say is the final word on the subject, so really all we're doing now is making noise.

I'm planning on getting everything wired up in my studio tomorrow, then I think I'll go with Louie's suggestion and "go record a song or something!"
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM

So on the Win7 side for the Control24 there is a Control24.dll and a Control24.dll.rsr and for Pro Control a Procontrol.dll a Procontrol.dll.rsr and a Procontrol_M.dll (which would be for the channel Matrix).
So for you programmer guys, can the 32 bit version of those be used to port over to 64 bit?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
So on the Win7 side for the Control24 there is a Control24.dll and a Control24.dll.rsr and for Pro Control a Procontrol.dll a Procontrol.dll.rsr and a Procontrol_M.dll (which would be for the channel Matrix).
So for you programmer guys, can the 32 bit version of those be used to port over to 64 bit?
The source code would have to be recompiled.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The source code would have to be recompiled.

Shane
Which is relatively straight forward if one had the source code?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C View Post
Louis,

All on board for the accountability but nitpicking about programming styles and procedures in a completely blind fashion is not helpful. If anybody has ACTUAL information then more than happy to hear it.

It's also not the thread that bothers me it's that EVERY thread seems to descend into this nonsense these days.

The DUC used to be a place to come and help and be helped but these days it is fast becoming another Gearslutz. I just find it troubling.

Stated a long time ago in this thread that I feel it was the right decision to drop support for these, for 32bit based plugins, for PowerPC architectures and many other things that we've lost along the way. I know it's the unpopular opinion but it is just that an opinion. I'm disappointed that the place I spend most of my time working will not being moving to 11 without a massive investment, but 10 is working just fine and will do for a long time so it is what it is.

Loss is the price of progress.

More than happy to discuss this in length, feel free to contact me anytime but let's try and keep it from bloating up the conference. You can email me all you want via my website.

Thanks.

C
Thanks Ceri for opening a window to let some air in...

Darryl Ramm
Old 08-03-2013, 12:24 AM

The problem is that the company is going bankrupt and they're trying to get all the money they can from whoever they can before the whole thing sinks into the ocean.

Last edited by Dave Lang; 08-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 AM

If you don't like it don't buy anymore of their stuff - for the first time in 15 years I'm not going to.

And I'm glad I sold my HD system before you weren't allowed to do that anymore.

Last edited by Dave Lang; 08-03-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C View Post
Also trying to breakdown what percentage of users bought a Control24 in 1998 from a 2011 stock exchange release and somehow feeling like that's a relavant and effective use of your time just seems bonkers to me.
And that is why it is important, this is all about money and if you don't talk money nothing will change. Avid are a business not a charity, as we are all aware, so they need to be shown what the plus could be for them in language that they understand ($$s), for effectively a relatively small effort.

You might think they would already know what I've shared but from working with many global companies they seldom really stand back and look at the big picture (that is what consultants like me do, take information available internally/externally and collate it to tell a new compelling story & pocket $$s for doing it).

Hope its now clear what I'm adding to the "give us the drivers" story,

Cheers Scotsman
Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Come on people get signing this ideascale post

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...11/110306-3779

PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves