Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Re: PT native out of the bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Hi All,

I've noticed a lot of folks here and in other forums commenting on the price of Pro Tools|HD Native. As I said in another thread, it's important to Keep in mind that Pro Tools|HD Native includes Pro Tools HD software. When you consider the value of Pro Tools HD software at around $2500, the price of Pro Tools|HD Native is a pretty great value. Add in the advantaged pricing when you bundle an HD series interface and it's a very competitive pro solution with best in class performance and sound quality.

I also would take exception to the idea that the HD Native Core card is "just a dongle." To get the performance, stability, low latency and I/O count our pro customers want from a native HD system requires more than USB or Firewire could possibly provide.

Looking forward to more comments and feedback.

Best,
Max

How can Pro Tools HD software be valued at $2500, when I can buy the HD software from sweetwater for $250?

Dell XPS 420 Desktop
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz - 3 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Dell Vostro 3700 Laptop
Core i5 M 520 @ 2.40Ghz - 4 Gigs of RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit

Pro Tools 9
003 Factory
Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzlow View Post
How can Pro Tools HD software be valued at $2500, when I can buy the HD software from sweetwater for $250?
That's the "upgrade."

You still need a card and an interface.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM

I cannot believe that Avid/Digi could not see the efficiency gained by dumping the HD/LE software and only providing and supporting PT (native) software utilizing the new I/O card for all digi I/O devices. If you want HD, that means buying a higher end I/O box (i.e. HD 192). If you don't want HD, then you buy an M-Box, 003, etc. that uses the new I/O card. This does mean that the I/O card would need to be more realistically priced. So simple.....

Greg
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
No adc for LE? I think avid knows that they will lose alot of users if that happens.
A bit of detective work can reveal some good news though. Max confirmed that there are no DSP chores done on the new card whatsoever. The only thing done on the new card is LLM, I/O count/connectivity and Sync HD connectivity. The mix engine, input monitoring mode and ADC etc, that were once done on DSP chips in HD, are now host based in HD Native. This is the first version of PT where ADC is finally done natively in the host! I cant be the only one that sees this as pretty big news and quite the achievement. This obvious first step tells us that they finally did it and now have native ADC code. I'll remain optimistic that this new code will trickle down the product line, as it usually has in the past. With the speed that Avid Audio has been firing out all these new products and announcements, hopefully we'll see something sooner than later.

Native ADC code now exists. That is HUGE news and the first big hurdle that I'll definitely acknowledge Avid Audio for, as there's no way that was no small task. This first step I'll have to applaud.

After being here for over a decade, this is clearly a different company altogether now. There is no way in hell digidesign with it's old gaurd would ever have released something like this.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
I cannot believe that Avid/Digi could not see the efficiency gained by dumping the HD/LE software and only providing and supporting PT (native) software utilizing the new I/O card for all digi I/O devices. If you want HD, that means buying a higher end I/O box (i.e. HD 192). If you don't want HD, then you buy an M-Box, 003, etc. that uses the new I/O card. This does mean that the I/O card would need to be more realistically prced. So simple.....

Greg
if they did this then that would effectively make it impossible to run PT on laptops.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
I cannot believe that Avid/Digi could not see the efficiency gained by dumping the HD/LE software and only providing and supporting PT (native) software utilizing the new I/O card for all digi I/O devices. If you want HD, that means buying a higher end I/O box (i.e. HD 192). If you don't want HD, then you buy an M-Box, 003, etc. that uses the new I/O card. This does mean that the I/O card would need to be more realistically prced. So simple.....

Greg
Keep in mind that this version of PT with the new card is 8.5. They've been rapidly overhauling the entire product line. The current 002/003/LE area has yet to be revealed to us. The fact that they finally have native ADC code is another good indicator of more changes to come in my opinion.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM

mhuang,

An ExpressCard version of the I/O card is not inconceivable. There aren't many parts on the PCIE I/O card.

Greg
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM

I think by the time Winter NAMM comes around we will see that a large part of this puzzle has revealed itself. Even now, as Shanes posts point out, reading between the lines tells us that there is definitely much more to come.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 PM

I wanted to express how happy I am I just bought the Complete Production Toolkit this week, to go along with my 003!

Woo hoo!!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

After being here for over a decade, this is clearly a different company altogether now. There is no way in hell digidesign with it's old gaurd would ever have released something like this.

Shane
Like watching the Berlin wall coming down...