Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2009, 08:16 AM

Exclamation Warning: The nightmare of IE8 and PTLE

Do not, for any reason, let IE8 on your Windows system. At least on your XP system, like I did.

I had a burned out motherboard, so I replaced it and the CPU. After that, with a repair of Windows XP, I had numerous loading problems and other errors. Feedback here was a problem with using a mixed chipset (and who knows, it could have contributed). So, I went and bought another motherboard/CPU that meets the suggested specs perfectly. Still, PLTE 7 hung, and I while I could install most plugins, I could not install Waves. I spent 9 hours on it two days ago, including paying a really smart PC tech guy to help disagnose it. No luck.

Then, yesterday morning I called Waves and told them about the installation problem I was having and the first thing he said was to uninstall IE8. I immediately wondered if maybe it was also causing a problem with PT so I seached and found tons of people complaining about it. And then I saw the Technical Alert on DigiDesign.

The IE8 uninstall fixed ALL my problems with PTLE7 and Waves. That was a relief but it's also makes me so mad! God, I hate Microsoft. Anyway, I suggest to the forum moderators that this warning be posted as a sticky at the top of this forum so every sees it. Lots of people are going to start running into this as Auto Updates (I've now turned it off) gets them.

By the way, here's a Microsoft Toolkit download to disable delivery of IE8

But I have a new, non-PT related question that maybe someone can help me with, since someone may have run into this same thing. I uninstalled IE8. It showed IE7 still installed, but I got an error. So I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE7. But I still get the error when I try and run it. And I think it's related that sometimes my internet stops working and I have to reboot. The error is:

Code:
"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl 

The operating system cannot run %1"
Any ideas?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Warning: The nightmare of IE8 and PTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
Anyway, I suggest to the forum moderators that this warning be posted as a sticky at the top of this forum so every sees it.
The IE8 warning thread has been a sticky at the top of this page for ages.

A few have said they had to re-install windows after IE8 has been installed. Many have been luckier.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
The IE8 warning thread has been a sticky at the top of this page for ages.

A few have said they had to re-install windows after IE8 has been installed. Many have been luckier.
You are absolutely right! I missed it.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the link to the dload kit to disable delivery!

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM

I've said before and I'll say it again. It's always better to have separate computers for music and the internet. If your serious about your music it's worth the investment.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
I've said before and I'll say it again. It's always better to have separate computers for music and the internet. If your serious about your music it's worth the investment.
A big +1. I've been an advocate of this for years. At the very least, dual boot.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
+ 1,000,000... A Pro Tools system is at it's best when NOTHING but Pro Tools is residing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Has Digi ever pinned down why some people have problems with IE8 and other dont? Is it Ilok? Like iv said many times Iv had IE8 since it came out and have not had one problem, but i also do not constantly update my ilok drivers, im months and months behind the current driver, but I have no need to update, everything runs fine.
It's a very scary proposition!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 AM

There are ilock updates? You mean the PACE driver updates? Is that the same thing? I think I last updated mine when I upgraded from 6.x to 7.x. Or maybe at 7.3. Anyway, it's been more than two years.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
It's a very scary proposition!
sorry / hate me / slap me but all I can say is REAPER (7/1/2009 update 5 lots of enhancements free of charge)- PT is just for conformance of projects for delivery, there are parallel issues beyond IE8. I run other DAWS and PT is the only DAW that has issues with IE8.