Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

OK. I didn't see the option for last working configuration(something to that effect) and now I'm back in business and on the internet. I'm going to try AVG and Windows updates now.

By the way. Now Asus PC Probe reads

CPU 40 C
MoBo 40 C

While the BIOS POWER says

CPU 46 C
MoBo 40 C
Old 08-11-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
So other than the artificial restrictions put in place by Digi, and baring in mind I upgraded to the same Apogee A/D/A converters on the HD system & the LE system...
We have
  • low TDM latency – These quads can track at 64 or 128...
  • 32 bit float vs 48bit fixed – there is a good argument for both technologies

IT really is quite depressing...

N

It was gonna happen at some point in time. Myself and MattP saw it coming when we built my Quad 18 months ago. And after my jaw dropped back then, I realized, investing in HD wasnt for me for what I do and my type of work flow. I have over $20 grand invested in hardware synths. They are all in boxes in storage and I dont miss patching them in. All have been replaced with softsynths. Call it progress. That's just the way it goes.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-11-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for DVERB info vocalvoodoo and Sunburst. I'll give some results tonight. By the way...in the SATA drive setting in the BIOS.....should the SATA be set for IDE or ACHI? Also...should UDMA5 only be set on the WAV recording drive?

John
Hi John welcome to Quadland set the controller to IDE. I would manually set the HDDs at UDMA5.

it might be more interesting to leave them set to AUTO and see if the "Vocal VooDoo Effect Error" shows up.

I think its error 9073.

Josh can tell you for sure.

Leave them set to "Auto" for now.

Lets see if you can recreate Josh's error code.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
WOW! that was real quick. its really funny coz i had the same post in the other core 2 duo thread for a little over a week and didnt get a single response and in this thread its been only a few minutes and the answers to all my questions have already poured in! i guess i placed my first post in the wrong thread. thanks guys!

now that my questions have been answered my biggest problem(its really big) is that i keep on getting assertion errors on my ptf files and it seems that they are forever doomed to the recycle bin.this is what happens:

i finalise a mix,come back to it the next day and find out i cant open it(corrupted?).anyone knows what this is all about?i was so ready to blame my IDE HDD for the problem but(ive actually ordered another sata II drive coz of this) as sunburst says, i guess my old drives are ok. ive tried reformatting twice already but still the same banana.

could it possibly be a virus of sorts?im pretty sure i got a virus from the studio(they use cubase) where we record drums and bass(the rest of the tracking we do at my home studio).i know this as a fact coz the "cant find script file error" keeps on popping up when i double click on a drive ever since i connected the external HDD we use at that studio to transfer files to and fro.

im really getting frustrated coz ive mixed the same song thrice over already.anyone know of a way to clean up my drives without having to format?i certainly cant delete all the data ive already compiled since we started recording 4 months ago.

to all you guys THANKS again for paving the road!

PS:ive tweaked my system according to the troubleshooting sticky already. the only thing i havent done yet is to install the windows fix for multiple core PCs.
I believe the fix for the assertion error is to delete the "Digidesign Database" folder on the root of all of your drives and relaunch Protools.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-11-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
OK. I didn't see the option for last working configuration(something to that effect) and now I'm back in business and on the internet. I'm going to try AVG and Windows updates now.

By the way. Now Asus PC Probe reads

CPU 40 C
MoBo 40 C

While the BIOS POWER says

CPU 46 C
MoBo 40 C
Those temps seem more normal now.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 08-11-2007, 03:23 AM

Quote:
... the "Vocal VooDoo Effect"...

I think its error 9073.
What can I say, then name will probably stick now. Error 9073 is now known as the VocalVooDoo effect.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-11-2007, 09:36 AM

You gotta get it right though, Shane!

It's the 9093 and 9092 and somtimes 9094.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Quote:
Just a quick reality check for us all here in quad heaven, In light of me seeing an email from the duc last week with a prominent forum member laying down a bet of $10,000 that one HD1 Accel Core would run more DVerbs than a Native PT system (i.e. quad) out of curiosity I did a very quick ruff & ready check on our HD3... It managed 36 DVerbs to one card...

When clicked onto the thread to warn the bet maker ( I person I both like & respect) I found they had deleted the post (phew) must have been a typo or something...

I'll bet that individual a few million dollars. This is something I did a long long time ago. Let's just say, a picture is worth a thousand words and helps with the "reality check":

38 TDM Dverbs on one Accel Card.

And here is a short "Kodak moment" of the many hours I did comparing TDM vs RTAS a long long time ago. You'll notice the Master Fader has no signal. Why? Because the signals nulled out, as in the same. Speaking of nulling out, here is a comment from Waves.

Another thing worth noting, the H/W buffer in HD only goes down to 128. The 002R goes to 64. A full blown HD 7 will do a Dverb benchmark at the 250ish range. Slightly half at 96K.

Now keep in mind that there are still advantages to HD. As far as the Dverb test goes, HD can do this with any buffer setting with the benefits of the low TDM latency. You get a few cool "software only" features. You also get the bonus of the added power from the Quad or 8-core which means bigger midi productions at smaller buffer sizes etc. Tons of expanded I/O. The 96I/O and 192I/O are definitely top notch A/D/A coverters etc.

But, for my line of work, native is more than powerful for my needs so I stay with it. My midi productions always get bounced to audio or rendered offline in another app anyways and my current 18 month old Quad which only scores 140 Dverbs on the benchmark has given me the ability to do some very large mixes of around 70 or so tracks, 8-12 Aux returns, tons of automation, and a TON of crazy plug-ins...usually with a bit of CPU headroom left over.

Native is kickin' some serious ass these days and the next few months will only get better.

...and just wait until you see the 8-core results in the months to come...

Gotta love the CPU wars.

Shane

Kris
May the music move you
Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
It's the 9093 and 9092 and somtimes 9094.
So now you want 3 errors named after you!!

Matt

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM

Ok. Its going good I believe. I have everything hooked up inside the beast. I have AVG running and all my Windows updates flowin. Gonna get Zone Alarm rollin in a minute. Second hard drive formatted. Been running solid for about 4 hours now and my Temps are a constant...

CPU= 43 C
MB= 43 C

according to Asus PC Probe. Gonna now download this CPU-Z program. I believe I need to go into bios and disable one of my LAN ports because it keeps loading up into my tool bar as a " Local Area Connection,a Network cable is unplugged".

Gonna get a hold of TRUE IMAGE and do that up as I'm golden right now. I should probably do some of the pre- PTs tweeks as well soon.

Thanks guys for the help and I would say the biggest issue I had was that I didn't fasten the CPU down properly to begin with but on the bright side it allowed me to get in touch with this Arctic Silver Compound for future reference and know how. Its all good.

DJ