Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2009, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 (64bit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Need to figure the multi-quote thing out..

OK.. if XP 64 will allow it, will Vista 64? W7 x64?
Ultimately, W7 x64 will be the goal. I will be using C5 32-bit on W7 x64 for composing, and PT LE 8 on W7 x64 for tracking/mixing. So, bare minimum.. my 002 needs to work in that scenario (or Vista 64 for now)
I have yet to figure out the multi quote thing. Yeah guitardom and I both got XP Pro x64 for to launch with the 002/003 when we were first doing the i7 rigs. You can get PT to luanch on 64bit Vista and Win7 64, the rub is that the current FW drivers only seem to support Dual Core in PTLE with the FW interfaces like the 002 and 003. USB Interfaces are working with at least 4 Cores maybe more. While PT will launch and play etc. We still need things like 64bit keyboard drivers (Hello MAudio) to make it work. Some stuff like the Axiom61 funtions as a class compliant device in 64 bit and some things like my Axiom 25 wern't working at all. So We need A) some actual 64bit interface drivers for the hardware and B) 64bit drivers for peripherals. PT itself seems to more or less run as a 32 bit app.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 AM

Sunburst79 - you said in the above post "You can get PT to luanch on 64bit Vista and Win7 64, the rub is that the current FW drivers only seem to support Dual Core in PTLE with the FW interfaces like the 002 and 003." I am currently stuck on launch with "DAE Loaded" message and can't get past it.
Do you have any info that will help me?
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz131 View Post
Sunburst79 - you said in the above post "You can get PT to luanch on 64bit Vista and Win7 64, the rub is that the current FW drivers only seem to support Dual Core in PTLE with the FW interfaces like the 002 and 003." I am currently stuck on launch with "DAE Loaded" message and can't get past it.
Do you have any info that will help me?
Thanks.
Not really. I spend about 6 months looking at this and building a quite few different test rigs. The hang at "DAE Loaded" is pretty much terminal. If your using a USB interface (MBox2 etc) and 4 core it will work and if your using a quad core and FW it will hang at DAE loaded. You can use something like BCD edit to limit the amount of processor the OS "sees" while booting to 1 Processor. This will let PT launch but you will find the amount of processor's in the playback dialog grayed out. Loading a session and pressing play will get you a " Problem Detected with Audio Clock" and a few other messages. All terminal. One other item of note is that PT "Sees" the actual physical core count regardless of the amount of processor's disable via editing the boot.ini file or the BCD file.

So USB = Good with Dual and Quad Core and FW is good with Dual Core.

I actually had to build entirely new machine and swap the processor from a Core 2 Duo to a Core 2 Quad a few times to verify this. Basically we are going to need a new FW driver. Since Digi will be throwing all their resources at Snow Leopard I would not expect to see Windows FW driver rewrite until they do the rewrite for Windows7.

It's important to keep in mind that Digi are not supporting anything other than 32bit Windows at this point and as such are under no obligation to rewrite or furnish a new FW driver and they are almost certainly not going to rewrite a hardware driver (which is a lot of work and testing) until MS finalizes the code for Windows7. This last statement is a guess based on Digis replies here in the forum over the last couple years. There was mention made of a Wave driver rewrite this spring so we might get lucky but I suspect that if they do write a new Wave driver it will only be for what they are currently supporting.

If your running USB and getting a DAE hang try deleting the prefs and possibly disabling UAC-after that I dont have a lot of advice to offer. If your running a FW interface and Win7 64 on a quad my advice is to grab a beer and enjoy the wait.

If you have a copy of Win7 64 RC1 a Quad and a spare partition or a spare machine I strongly recommend you beg buy or borrow a USB powered audio interface and join the party though because we can generate a lot of info that can be turned over to Digi when they do start to code for Win7. The other option is to run Win7 32 with your current FW stuff and stay active in the Win7 discussions.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Win XP Pro x64...... it will at least let PT launch with FW and more than 2 cores.
Ahh...
But, will the 002/003 on a quad still work with other apps? Is it is completely buggered all the way around?

If so, I might be leaving Digi completely... The benefits of running a 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS when one is desiring larger RAM usage (across multiple apps) are too appealing. To have 12G available to use.. 3G per app, roughly, with 32-bit apps.. I would like to have 4-5G available for VI sample content, minimum. Couple G for OS + apps, little extra for occasional extra samples.
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
...To have 12G available to use.. 3G per app, roughly, with 32-bit apps.. I would like to have 4-5G available for VI sample content, minimum. Couple G for OS + apps, little extra for occasional extra samples.
I'm shooting for around 20G or so of ram in my next build. The entire system including the OS will run in ram. A few early experiments running PT sessions and VI's from ram were pretty jaw dropping. Might as well throw the whole OS in there.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-17-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I'm shooting for around 20G or so of ram in my next build. The entire system including the OS will run in ram. A few early experiments running PT sessions and VI's from ram were pretty jaw dropping. Might as well throw the whole OS in there.

Shane
nikki-k,

He's talking about SuperSpeed and having a RAM drive.

Shane, you shouldn't tease her like that. Give an explanation or a link to your other posts about SuperSpeed.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
nikki-k,

He's talking about SuperSpeed and having a RAM drive.

Shane, you shouldn't tease her like that. Give an explanation or a link to your other posts about SuperSpeed.

Cheers,
I believe she knows from many-o-skype calls. SuperVolume for desktop systems is the best one I've sued to date. I hope they get this going in W7 soon.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Hi guys

So far i know M-Audio is betatesting ProTools 8.0 M-Powered for 64bit Vista.... This betatesting programmm runs now for about 2 months...

Spacey
Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 PM

Waw this is quite a piece of news... If I understand well, this means, there is e betatest for PTx64 and for m-audio sound cardsx64... ? THIS IS SUPER GOOOOD NEWWWS !
Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesignboarder View Post
Is Pro Tools 64 bit capable?
It is for me on a 64 bit laptop and PC.