Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Will this computer work with PT 11

I am making the leap from a portable recorder to Pro Tools 11. Below is a list of what I plan to buy in the next couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me if it is all compatible with each other ( primarily the computer). I am open to any recommendations. Thanx

HP Business Desktop Desktop Computer - 16 GB Memory - 1 TB Hard Drive
Model: E8000SF-293-16-1T-DVD-7P64
Operating system: Windows 7 Professional
Video Memory DDR3 SDRAM
Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Chip Intel
Network Card Gigabit Ethernet
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo
Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 DDR3 SDRAM PCI Express x16 (Shared)

Audio interface: Eleven rack w/Pro Tools 11
Focusrite scarlett 18i20
Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Will this computer work with PT 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbdaniels View Post
I am open to any recommendations.
I myself would recommend a self build over an off the shelf system, as you'll end up with a far more powerful, cheaper, and compatible PT system. You can find the i7 builds thread here. You also might get better feedback on this spec if you post it in the i7 builds thread. That said, if I was making the decision, I wouldn't purchase that computer for Pro Tools.

Welcome to the forum.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM

Looks like that is a core2 duo with built in graphics.
Not a good choice for PT.
Also the hard drive is likely to be a "Green" type.

Built in graphics and "green" hard drives are usually trouble for PT.
A quad processor is a much better choice, even a last gen one.

Building your own machine can save a bit of money and let you pick parts PT will play nice with.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 AM

Thanks guys. I've never built a computer before but I'm always up for a new project. Any advise would be greatly appreciated (hard drives, mother boards sound/graphics card and so on). I had budgeted about $500 for a desk top but would spend more to have something that works well.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:57 AM

Ugh...

If you build a workstation, you will spend that 500usd for processor alone, and the processor might very well cost a lot more too. If you build a machine for 500 or so, you won't be very happy with the PT11 performance.

Lowest cost PT11 computer that I myself would consider is the Apple Mac Mini with 2.3GHz i7 processor. Upgrade that with 16GB memory and 256GB flash drive, and it costs 1299usd (add a hundred if you want 2.6GHz processor). And this is without display, keyboard, and mouse.

PT11 really requires much more than a 500 bucks computer. It will love i7 processor (more cores the better) and AT LEAST 8GB MEMORY.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbdaniels View Post
Thanks guys. I've never built a computer before but I'm always up for a new project. Any advise would be greatly appreciated (hard drives, mother boards sound/graphics card and so on). I had budgeted about $500 for a desk top but would spend more to have something that works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
...You can find the i7 builds thread here.
Click on the link above to get to the builds thread. Depending on what you already own that can be recycled i.e. keyboard, mouse, monitor etc, you'll need to budget around $1000-$1500. You could get well under $1000 by going after a 1st gen i7 system, but you'll be hunting around the second hand/used market for parts.

I've put together systems for $500-$800, but that's always from recycling many components from older PT systems. That's the beauty of modular systems.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Great thread Shan. Sounds like I've got some home work to do. While searching the web I came upon Sweetwater's Creation Station line, CS 200. Maybe it with a RAM upgrade. Decision decisions.