Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Auto Tune - Real Time or Audio Suite + Questions?

I've had Auto Tune all this time and just started using it this week. I've recorded about 20 takes of my own vocals and seem to have problems with intonation at the same spot on every take and want to use Auto Tune to fix it.

My problem is, I'm not really sure how to apply it. I understand how it works in all of its modes and what each function does, but it's the application that I dont understand.

As an example, if I use graphical mode to correct a pitch, and then go to another part of the song, will Auto-Tune remember the correction I did earlier if I use it in real time? When I play it back, it seems like the drawing I did in graphical mode is now lost.

The manual makes a lot of references to loading the sound you want corrected in. What I've been doing is, highlighting the section of the audio that I want to work with, pressing the TRACK AUDIO function, watch the audio being drawn on the screen, use the LINE/CURVE tools or MAKE AUTO tool to correct the audio, and listen to play back. All as its described in the manual. However, on playback in midst of editing another section. I dont hear the correction. What am I doing wrong?

Thats's my first problem/inquiry -

Secondly, why exactly is Auto Tune present in the audio suite. How does working with Autotune in the audio suite differ from using it in real time? Can audio be processed in the Audio Suite version the same way and left to be in pitch while you work on another section?

I used the play list feature in Pro-Tools (Right Click on the ^v + select DUPLICATE . . ) as to use Auto-Tune to correct the copy of the track. When I used the TRACK AUDIO function in Pro-Tools, the audio was shown three times in the Graphical Editing window, so I'm confused.

This is a lot of information, but I'm trying to be as clear as possible. If necessary, I can post a copy of the vocal track so you can hear it. What ever advice any of you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Auto Tune - Real Time or Audio Suite + Questio

How to Autotune.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Auto Tune - Real Time or Audio Suite + Questio

The way I do it is as follows:

1. Create a new audio track, labeled something like Vox (Tuned)
2. On your vocal track, insert Auto Tune (w/out any other plugins)
3. Set the output of our vocal track to a bus (say bus 16)
4. Set the input of your audio track from step 1 to the same bus and record enable it
5. Configure Auto Tune for graphical mode and make any adjustments you want wrt key and settings
6. Copy the entire vocal to your Vox (Tuned) vocal track
7. Listen to your vocal; for sections needing cleanup, select that section (with a little bit before/after)
8. Click "Track Pitch" in auto tune and play (make sure loop playback is disabled)
9. You should see a graph of the melody. Make adjustments
10. You can hit play and hear your adjustments (assuming you have "Input Only Monitoring" I think)
11. When satisfied, hit record.
12. Cross fade the endpoints of our new region
13. Repeat until satisfied
14. Make the original vocal (with Auto Tune plugin) disabled and unselect it (i.e. don't just delete it; you may need to go back later

The cool thing about this is that when looking at Vox (Tuned), you can tell which phrases were tuned and which weren't. Un-tuned regions will be named based on your original vocal track and tuned regions will be named based on "Vox (Tuned)".

You can easily re-use your Auto-Tune track by selecting a different playlist and creating a new track as described above.

Auto mode in Auto Tune is (ironically) totally useless, and doing it graphically with AudioSuite is a real pain.
002R/PTLE 7.3.1