Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:16 AM

Default did i get fooled into pro tools.?

Pro Tools industry standard.

Thats their trade mark and made me interested in pro tools. and the reson i got the 002. but when i did get the 002 and PT i didnt find it to be that exciting as it would be.

I using a ST Audio C-Port and cubase SX v1, before i got my pro tools system, and i was happy with the cubase setup but i obviously needed an upgrade if i wanted to get into the Recording industry and have decent quality music. I decided to dump cubase and go for PT. now as i look around i see the RME and Motu stuff comming out and Cubase SX3.1 my god that looks really bloody good. I hate the way Le is limited. to only have 32 tracks where other progs are offering unlimited and dual monitoring, 5.1 surrong(not that ill use it) and the list just continues and us loyal customers have bought the digi gear and we are still asking for wat other programs have got. Surely to god Avid and digigdesing see it comming that their soon gonna be limited in offering new customers to their product wen le is so limited. Heck ill even pay more money to get up to the TDM program.

It really hit me the other day when i got a call from a mate wanting to record a good record for his band. and i can grantee that i will b needing more than 32tracks, so im going to have to go to the music store here in aus and look at buying cubase sx3, pitty i would have rathered to use Pro Tools for this session. I mean im even thinking of selling my whole PT setup and gettin a RME or MOTU setup with cubase and buying and m-audio card so i can record in PT if i really need to, or i get a session bought to me in PT that needs more tracks layed down or mixed.

Im disapointed in the way Digi treats us, money hungry. i paid good money and yet im still limited.

my 2cents worth of Digidesing
Old 09-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: did i get fooled into pro tools.?

And check out the new "LE" version of Cubase SE3.

Everything we bitch and whine for like 48 tracks, full PDC etc

I think Steinberg has been reading our PT LE forums lately. I use to be a Steinberg user and will never go back. Those days are over for me.

Pro Tools HD is the industry standard. But everything is carefully worded by the Digi marketing team just like many other marketing divisions of other companies.

I have been begging Digi for a middle system for years. PT LE is not quite enough for me but PT HD is a bit overboard for me. And the price gap between a 002 and HD1 system is about $8000.00!!

You can use Ableton live for 16 more tracks. Stream these into PT LE via ReWire onto 16 aux channels.

When you finish recording a bunch of tracks, lets say a drum kit for example, then consolidate them from the session start. Open up Ableton live and use these consolidated audio tracks directly from your PT LE audio folder. You can even keep the original drum tracks still in your PT session. Just uninstantiate the whole track and hide it. It is a very simple process once you get use to it. You can now treat these streaming ReWire tracks the same as regular audio tracks and add all your inserts, sends and automation etc.

And if you dont have Ableton Live then you can also use the free version that comes with LE. You'll just be limited to 8 tracks instead of 16.

I know, PT LE is 'limited' but there are ALWAYS workarounds bro. Alot of users here use the Ableton method for more tracks. And they remain sample accurate in your PT session by the way.

And once you get it all going you'll forget that Ableton Live is even running in the background.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-23-2005, 01:34 AM

yea i know where your comming from.

I know about all the rewire options etc, but PT takes up so much CPU power as it is and with ableton live running in the background with plugins plus other tracks in PT with their plugins its gonna soon come to a grinding holt.

i will have a play around i guess and ill talk to the band to see what program they would rathe use.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 AM

It's limited because its the LIMITED EDITION. Thats the whole point. You cant compare PT LE to Cubase SX3 because they aren't aimed at the same market. A fairer comparison would be PT LE and Cubase SE/LE. Then see what you're missing. I'm getting pretty fed up of people moaning and moaning about PT LE. Ok, its not the best program in the world but if you'd have done your research properly then you would have known its limitations before you paid any money for anything. Digidesign might use some clever marketing tricks, but they aren't lying to anyone about anything. If you want to find out the real deal about PT LE then you can. ITS LIMITED EDITION!

Now we'd all like some new features, more midi, better PDC, more tracks, better CPU handling and better interface choices and I hope we get these features. But you can't moan about software when you knew what it had and didnt have when you bought it. It's not Digidesign's fault that you bought a product without doing your research properly.

If you want more then go look at Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc etc whatever. Nothing's stopping you.

I do agree that Digidesign need to do something though. They should release a mid-level system, but I cant see that happening any time soon.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Thats their trade mark and made me interested in pro tools. and the reson i got the 002. but when i did get the 002 and PT i didnt find it to be that exciting as it would be.

I using a ST Audio C-Port and cubase SX v1, before i got my pro tools system, and i was happy with the cubase setup but i obviously needed an upgrade if i wanted to get into the Recording industry and have decent quality music. I decided to dump cubase and go for PT. now as i look around i see the RME and Motu stuff comming out and Cubase SX3.1 my god that looks really bloody good. I hate the way Le is limited. to only have 32 tracks where other progs are offering unlimited and dual monitoring, 5.1 surrong(not that ill use it) and the list just continues and us loyal customers have bought the digi gear and we are still asking for wat other programs have got. Surely to god Avid and digigdesing see it comming that their soon gonna be limited in offering new customers to their product wen le is so limited. Heck ill even pay more money to get up to the TDM program.

It really hit me the other day when i got a call from a mate wanting to record a good record for his band. and i can grantee that i will b needing more than 32tracks, so im going to have to go to the music store here in aus and look at buying cubase sx3, pitty i would have rathered to use Pro Tools for this session. I mean im even thinking of selling my whole PT setup and gettin a RME or MOTU setup with cubase and buying and m-audio card so i can record in PT if i really need to, or i get a session bought to me in PT that needs more tracks layed down or mixed.

Im disapointed in the way Digi treats us, money hungry. i paid good money and yet im still limited.

You are not alone!
I love pro tools. I think it is the best audio editing/multi tracker around. It's the most logical well thought out audio software I've tried and I have tried most of the competition. I want to continue using pro tools after 3 years of learning and using it.
However, I can't see digi moving forward enough with a product for us LE users. I will wait and see what PT 7 brings and what their strategy is with M Audio but they really have to start delivering more power and features if they want to retain their market share of the home/semi pro users. I have to admit that it is the hardware limitations that I find most limiting. 48 tracks would be ideal but I can get by with 32. But I would like more ins & outs, perhaps some hardware processing among other things. A mid range system seems to be the obvious way to go for the next few years.
But as I have said before, I believe computer power is going to be so powerful that audio processing (even the most complicated) is gonna be a piece of cake for even the most basic home computer in 10 years. So I question the life span of a high priced system like HD.
But for now, I must admit that with the Yamaha acquisition of Nuendo, I might have to jump ship in a year or so if digi don't offer me reasons to stay.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:13 AM

Quote:
48 tracks would be ideal but I can get by with 32.
Actually, I think 64 tracks would be ideal for LE in the current climate.
Still limited, but more than enough for most home/project users and not so embarassing when compared to the competition.

If we're going to ask, we may as well ask for the most we can hope for.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:36 AM

@ Shan

Could you explain the use of Live with protools a little better? I really don't get what is the benefit of its use.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:20 AM

How can you complain about these things? Did you not know about them before you purchased your 002? Didn't you read about all of this?

Digi is so upfront with everything.

and...

I record bands on a very regular basis the 32 track limit is nothing to focus on. When I need more tracks it's as simple as compiling similar tracks together. With automation it's easy.

I remember when we only had 24 tracks and then the upgrade took us to 32 and there are still complaints. My guess is that there would be complaining no matter what.

My experience has taught me that the only thing that limits is ourselves. PTLE has done nothing except add to my recording experience. I have turned several friends onto it and they love it.

Try less compainging and more problem solving - it will improve your recording process, your job, your friendships and your marriage.

Chris Webb
Old 09-23-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:

AM STUDIOS Cubase sucks. If you don't think it does, educate your taste. Learn to hate Cubase and use ProTools because it will lead you to fame and Cubase will lead you to be another nerd always in his room, recording music that people don't like.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:55 AM

Quote:

I record bands on a very regular basis the 32 track limit is nothing to focus on. When I need more tracks it's as simple as compiling similar tracks together. With automation it's easy.

I remember when we only had 24 tracks and then the upgrade took us to 32 and there are still complaints. My guess is that there would be complaining no matter what.

Well.... people always want more... never satisfied, but I agree with you. I`ve been recording in several studio`s for the last 12 years now... and I never had the Idea to go to a studio with more than 24 tracks.. man, 24 was a lot! you can do everything you want with that I gues.. What kind of band is thinking about 64 tracks when searching a studio?? I would go for quality, for limited tracks, there`s always a solution!
davec 32+15
www.surely.nl