Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

acstctws
Quote:
One more thing....I was looking at that case, and I don't see how it's rackmountable. Everywhere I look classifies it as a desktop case. Is there a kit or something that you buy to make it into a rackmount case?
Quote:
Ultimate Allenstein Challenge! thread: 3JDamon Mine's also going into a shock-mounted rack case. It's a Silverstone LC13, which has thick aluminum pieces up front where rack ears can be attached (gotta drill and tap them yourself though), and I'll be adding spongy foam pieces in the rack case to help secure it as well. I've installed four hard drives, two optical drives, and the K8N-DL Ext-ATX board, and it all *barely* fits. Perfect for the job, looks great, and it wasn't much over $100!

filosofem

p.s. looked like you needed a little help Shane (hope you don't mind)
Old 04-17-2006, 11:19 PM

Thanks

I only plan on adding a few more Quad systems to my first post and then there should be enough info for everyone to go off of if they wish to build one. I dont have the time to moderate this thread all the time.

A good solid quad system will be passed on to Allen at some point for the "Best Destop..." thread.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 PM

Shane

Yeah ...it's been interesting reading the discussions and davec test results between your system and 3JDamon's system.

Soon my friend ...soon!

filosofem

p.s. what I should say is that the prices in NZ are still through the roof!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine *update*

Hey Shan,
great work on the quads, things are looking up for LE users.
I do have point, though.
The recent optimizations in PT 7 concerning d-verbs really makes the # of reverbs as a benchmark outdated... Maybe try the compressor 3???

Also I read the post concerning folks running 2 m-audio cards on the same machine... I have a delta 44 from WAY back, its too bad I couldn't integrate that at all!
Dave

P4 1.6 Northwood @ 2133 Mhz
ASUS P4B266
Old 04-18-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Hey Shan,
great work on the quads, things are looking up for LE users.
I do have point, though.
The recent optimizations in PT 7 concerning d-verbs really makes the # of reverbs as a benchmark outdated... Maybe try the compressor 3???
It is still valid for my purpose. We are using it to benchmark our Quads only, because we can all reach the end of both Davec tests and it is way faster to do this Dverb test. Doesnt even take 3 minutes. Compressor 3 is fully optimized for version 7 by the way.

I also picked Dverb so that I could compare it to Accel cards which give you approx 50 per card. The new optimized Dverb is also still a heavy load on the CPU.

And just as a side note, I tested my system with the old Dverb just to see how much Digi improved the optimizations. All I can say is that they REALLY overhauled the RTAS engine.

And another note for anyone wondering, we dont have the denormalization spike using Dverbs on the Opteron. Everything has been thoroughly tested.

Dverb was picked to compare Quads with Quads and beyond.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-18-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
...Maybe try the compressor 3???
Just for your curiosity though, I got 250 Compressor/Limiter Dyn 3 plugins with 25% CPU left. I did a very quick test.

If you would like an exact number then let me know and I'll do it during a break.

Also, playback/record on 32 tracks with the Dyn 3 is pretty much instant.

Imagine what 3JDamon would get.

Shane

Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 PM

Looking for a case. I'm going to go with the k8n-dl board, so I've figured out it's an extended ATX board. Am I ok with something like this? Or does someone have a better suggestion? I really don't give a damn about fancy lights, displays or see-thru side panels. I'd like to have at least 3 hard drives.
Also did I read something about an 8 pin power supply that's required for this board?

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 04-18-2006, 08:34 PM

Shane,
I think the peformance difference between the quads is due to the difference in motherboards and video cards. I'd like to see you stick in an ATI X700 in your quad. By the way I don't think Asus actually makes video chipsets so no need to be concerned on compatibility issues.

Allen
Old 04-18-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Shane,
I think the peformance difference between the quads is due to the difference in motherboards and video cards.
The Asus board and the Tyan are pretty much identical. They use the same chipset. But I wouldnt rule out the video card idea either. My system and guitardoms system compares in performance. The only difference is the motherboard. 3JDamons is a whole other ball game. We'll sort it out.

Quote:
I'd like to see you stick in an ATI X700 in your quad. By the way I don't think Asus actually makes video chipsets so no need to be concerned on compatibility issues.

Allen
It's all Nvidia on the graphics card and motherboard. I'm gonna try the PCI Maudio first to try and norrow this down then move on to the graphics card etc if I dont see any massive performance.

And just as a side note Allen, ATI personel and Nvidia personel recently squared up to each other in front of a bar at CeBIT Messe. Hahahahahah....awesome!! Check it out.

We need footage of that one. All that just over graphic cards.

Shane

Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Looking for a case. I'm going to go with the k8n-dl board, so I've figured out it's an extended ATX board. Am I ok with something like this? Or does someone have a better suggestion? I really don't give a damn about fancy lights, displays or see-thru side panels. I'd like to have at least 3 hard drives.
Also did I read something about an 8 pin power supply that's required for this board?
It looks like it will work. Just double check the dimensions. You can download the Asus PDF manual from the website and get a head start on things.

My case is nothing but a $40 generic case that is all perferated. Since it is all perferated, there is alot of air circulation. I have no fans other than the CPU fans. It is very noisey but I have a machine room which keeps the loud gear out of the studio.

Shane