How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Microsoft Will Officially Support Thunderbolt In Windows 10

Hey Sorry for my late reply,

Microsoft have mentioned before their intention to go with AVB suport but no time frame I've seen.
Dante is a proprietary audio format owned by Audinate so it would be interesting to know what deal they would have worked out. At least AVB is an IEE standard so have some "hopefully" non commercial governance.

Join the Facebook Pro Tools Windows User Group
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM

I'd imagine live sound Dante is a lot bigger immediate market for Microsoft than television since the AVB standard is very very recent. The NAB show should be very interesting this year because I'm sure the television industry is screaming for AVB hardware.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
Its been a long silent time, although everything personally I've tested HD Native and two types of Expansion chassis over Thunderbolt on Window 7, 8.1 and 10 which all worked just fine, Operating system full suppport is what many manufacturers such as Universal Audio were refusing to support Windows until Microsoft came forward so at least the wheels are in motion and with full support people can buy products with confidence of support from the manufacturer if they need technical help.
Neil,

Do you know of a TBolt PCIE expansion chassis that would enable the use of an HDX card on a Windows 7 system (assuming the mainboard has TBolt support and good drivers). I have a Lenovo W540 with factory TBolt and it indeed does work with the AVID HD Native TBolt interface, but would like to have the same mobility with my HDX card if possible.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:49 AM

Sonnet is one. http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr201...essprohdx.html
Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADIrouting View Post
The URL is talking about Apple Mac systems. Are you saying you know it also works with Windows 7 and HDX?
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM

Nope. I don't know that there is any until Intel and Microsoft finalize what they need to. If you want insurance look at Avids compatibility list, until it is listed there you won't know unless the vendors list it compatible.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMBOR View Post
Neil,

Do you know of a TBolt PCIE expansion chassis that would enable the use of an HDX card on a Windows 7 system (assuming the mainboard has TBolt support and good drivers). I have a Lenovo W540 with factory TBolt and it indeed does work with the AVID HD Native TBolt interface, but would like to have the same mobility with my HDX card if possible.

Thanks!
The sonnet echo express II worked perfectly for me with an HD Native card so I have no reason to doubt any sonnet chassis with an HDX card as the TB chipsets are the same and no drivers are required just the normal Avid HD driver.

PT10HD5 PCIX in 64Bit Magma Chassis,
2x192io's + 2x96io's & Legacy io's
Pro Control & Fader Pack
UAD2 Quad, Octo & All Plugins
Black Lion Audio Modified MOTU 24io and 2408MK3 x2
TC Powercore PCI MK2 x2 & Firewire

Softube, Sonnox, Eventide, SSL, McDSP, Waves
Old 03-02-2016, 03:44 PM

I just installed my HDX card in a Sonnet echo express III-D and Windows 8.1 with an asus thunderboltEX II. After installing Asus Windows driver the device is recognized as "not certified" however it seems to be working fine in 12.4 on my system. Drivers from Asus are W7 compatible.

EDIT: just moved my UAD OCTO over. PT choked and hung on the first session I opened. However after powering down and back up. Again... seems to work fine.

Last edited by jjnssn; 03-02-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADIrouting View Post
I just installed my HDX card in a Sonnet echo express III-D and Windows 8.1 with an asus thunderboltEX II. After installing Asus Windows driver the device is recognized as "not certified" however it seems to be working fine in 12.4 on my system. Drivers from Asus are W7 compatible.

EDIT: just moved my UAD OCTO over. PT choked and hung on the first session I opened. However after powering down and back up. Again... seems to work fine.
Definitely keep us updated on this.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Definitely keep us updated on this.

Shane

I have moved the box between my PC and MBP a couple different times with no issues. I don't plan to keep the setup this way. If there is some stress test you'd be interested in seeing results pm me and you can send a session.