Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Re: AVIDs Website is the most confusing site I have ever browsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Talking about links... scroll down DUC to where you normally don't go but there is what is supposed to be actually a cool link >> Pro Tools Product News < broken!
http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...Tools/whats-ne < the link is missing an w in the end.

Seems fixed AVID is listening
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritono9 View Post
I just want to add that from the perspective of a new user, in www.digidesign.com anything can happen.. or may not happen! if you can reach the same place in two different occasions, well, is extraordinary! I mean, not always, but is difficult to get some detailed info sometimes. And is true, with Google I get all the information that I needed when I was researching about some information.
+1 using google

http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/
http://www.weddingmusicproject.com/w...music-samples/
http://stevemillikan.com/

Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM

I miss the old website. The present is a disaster, but I'm sure that Avid will solve it.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Eller View Post
I just try to find the "Expanded Systems Guide".
No way!!!
The search results gave me the old digidesign links and directed me to the home site of Avid/Digi.
I would heartly lough if I wouldn´t need it urgent...
Where are you searching?

Typing "Expanded Systems Guide" into the search box in the upper right at avid.com returns this. Is the one you are looking for not listed?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 PM

Avid, why aren't you doing anything about this site? It's such a blemish on your image. The studio next door to mine was irate last week. They looked for software for over 2 hours solid on it. I had to tell them about www3.digidesign.com.

I avoid it at all costs. It literally has wasted a half day of my life in total so far. Why isn't it being improved?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM

What were they searching for?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 PM

The 7.4 HD updater and the cs's of that I think.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks for responding.

- Go to www.avid.com
- Click Support & Services
- Click Downloads under Pro Tools Support (on the right)
- Type "HD 7.4" into the field
- Click Search

The second link has the installers, and the various cs updates for 7.4 are listed after that.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Thanks for responding.

- Go to www.avid.com
- Click Support & Services
- Click Downloads under Pro Tools Support (on the right)
- Type "HD 7.4" into the field
- Click Search
Thank you too for responding.

There are valid reasons why there is so much widespread frustration with this site. The only way to get from point A to point B is the Avid site way. Unless you know the specific steps the web designer laid out, you will waste a lot of time at this terrible new site. Most users like to do things THEIR way and many of us don't like "search," but prefer to dig down hierarchically onto pages that have loads of software on them, all in one place. Most sites allow multiple methods to get from A to B.

Furthermore, the search on the Avid HOME PAGE often leaves one with little useful info. (Try typing in "7.4cs7" in the home page search box.) You specifically have to know the "magic trick" of using the support> downloads> search.

One's primary hope on the Avid website is that you can succeed via the search. If that doesn't work and you need to navigate through menus, most likely your hunt will end in frustration. The Avid website is SO heavily weighted towards "search" (and worse, damn specialized!!! search boxes) that there should be a note at the top of the home page explaining that. I've never seen a website where instinctual and/or habitual navigating techniques 50% of the time will end in failure.

It seems as if the Avid site designers are new art school grads types and have some fresh new utopian vision of how sites OUGHT TO work in the future and are not concerned how the Avid customer IN THE HERE AND NOW prefers to work. They just want to tickle their big vision regardless of the real world consequences.

The point is, why do people from Avid have to come on here and tell us how to find things? In my 15+ years on the 'net, I've only had to email one other company, the horrendous Elgato, regarding how to find something on their site.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Thank you too for responding.

There are valid reasons why there is so much widespread frustration with this site. The only way to get from point A to point B is the Avid site way. Unless you know the specific steps the web designer laid out, you will waste a lot of time at this terrible new site. Many users like to do thinks OUR way and many of us don't like search, but prefer to dig down hierarchically onto pages that have gobs of software on them, all in one place. Most sites allow multiple methods to get from A to B.

Furthermore, the search on the Avid HOME PAGE often leaves one with little useful info. (Try typing in "7.4cs7" in the home page search box.) You specifically have to know the "magic trick" of using the support> downloads> search.

Still, the studio next door can't find the original (non-CS) 7.4 LE. Type "7.4 LE" into support> downloads> search and all you get are the CS's. Where are the main 7.4 updaters?

One's primary hope on the Avid website is that you can succeed via the search. If that doesn't work and you need to navigate through menus, most likely your hunt will end in frustration. The Avid website is SO heavily weighted towards "search" (and worse, damn specialized!!! search boxes) that there should be a note at the top of the home page explaining that. I've never seen a website where instinctual and/or habitual navigating techniques 50% of the time will end in failure.

It seems as if the Avid site designers are new art school grads types and have some fresh new utopian vision of how sites OUGHT TO work in the future and are not concerned how the Avid customer IN THE HERE AND NOW prefers to work. They just want to tickle their big vision regardless of the real world consequences.

The point is, why do people from Avid have to come on here and tell us how to find things? In my 15+ years on the 'net, I've only had to email one other company, the horrendous Elgato, regarding how to find something on their site.
A BIG amen! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jeff