Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Powered Subwoofer

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could possibly purchase a home theater subwoofer which is powered that I can use instead of a studio subwoofer. Currently I have a pair of M-Audio BX8As connected to an Mbox 3, but a friend of mine said that my dual XLR to TRS Y cable that is being plugged into Output 1 is in mono. Besides that, what are some options for me, do I need a subwoofer with high pass/low pass filter, RCA input/output, etc?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Powered Subwoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite8 View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could possibly purchase a home theater subwoofer which is powered that I can use instead of a studio subwoofer. Currently I have a pair of M-Audio BX8As connected to an Mbox 3, but a friend of mine said that my dual XLR to TRS Y cable that is being plugged into Output 1 is in mono. Besides that, what are some options for me, do I need a subwoofer with high pass/low pass filter, RCA input/output, etc?
Hi

If you want something sustainable and usable you should get a SW with XLR L/R in and stereo out for connecting your M-Audio speakers to as doing it the way "a friend" sugests isn't always a great idea

A "friend of mine" thought I would be a great mountainbiker and we bought expensive as Hell bikes and went for it.. I can only say that I ended up in the hospital for 4 weeks and had 2 casts for over 8 weeks aswell after that excitement so needless to say I never listen to "good ol' friends" nowadays.

We use a dedicated Genelec Sub althought maybe too expensive for your needs ($3999) but there are good studio subs out there for far less than that. KRK has one for like 500 bucks 10inch and it sounds sufficient enough and you connect your speakers into it as it splits the signal and the sound comes out right. M-Audio also have a small 10 sub that is made for your speakers and dimensions,

Best of luck and stay away from heme theater stuff in your studio setup.
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Besides that, what are some options for me, do I need a subwoofer with high pass/low pass filter, RCA input/output, etc?
Yes, you need some kind of crossover so that you're not doubling frequencies - I learned this the hard way as my mixes had weird midrangy issues.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM

What is the low frequency roll-off frequency for the BX8As, so when I purchase a sub I can adjust the crossover frequency
Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
What is the low frequency roll-off frequency for the BX8As, so when I purchase a sub I can adjust the crossover frequency
Hmm... Not sure I understand what you're asking. I don't think the monitors would have a low frequency rolloff, unless it was a shelving boost or cut. I was talking about a physical crossover like the dbx 223XL which worked well for me. I suppose you could create a crossover in Pro Tools provided you have the outputs on your interface, but a hardware crossover would work best IMHO.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 AM

Although I don't use a subwoofer currently, I would treat it like you would shopping for monitors.

A home theater setup is made to take a good sound and make it uniquely better in its own way (Bose,Sony,ect.)
If you gander at a mix for hours and tweak it until "everything's perfect"
You'll usually be disappointed when you listen to it through your car, headphones, better studio and so on because you mixed a song with a monitor that did some mixing of its own.

And +1 to southsidemusic.
Unless your friends are living off of their knowledge, think of them as Wikipedia.

Think I found a new sig...

Think I found a new sig...

ASUS M5A97 R2.0
AMD FX 6300 3.5GHZ
12 GB ram

Pro tools 10
Digi 003 console
Eleven Rack
ADA 8200
Rubicon R6a's
Old 10-09-2013, 02:01 AM

First thing you need is acoustic treatment. Before you add a sub or anything else. Get your room and monitors sounding better as is. Because adding more bass to an untreated room is just going to complicate things.

Then once that is done decide if a sub is still needed. I have one hooked up through a jbl msc-1. But honestly the msc-1 helped most of the low end issues to the point I rarely use the sub. But I do turn it on every now and then jut do double check. And what's great about it, is it helps set the crossover, phase response, and level. All of which is hard to do by ear.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM

The frequency response of the monitors are 40-22hz, the 40 is the lowest the monitors can go. If I purchase say, the JBL LSR2310SP, I see that it has an adjustment for crossover frequency; 80hz, 120hz, or external. Or an KRK 10s has crossover frequency adjustment of 50hz, 80, 120. What would I adjust the frequency to?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 AM

80 hz is the most common crossover point, and should work for most situations. This applies both to music and to sound for video/film.

I recommend the KRK10s, as it's reasonably priced, sounds good, and has a jack for a footswitch that allows you to bypass the sub, thus sending the full range of audio to the monitors, as if the sub wasn't there.

The Roland FS-1 footswitch would be great for this. I would try to get the mix sounding good with the sub bypassed, then switch it on to check your low end.