Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Batch consolidating regions?

9.0.6. !

:)

Pro Tools 2020.5

Focusrite Clarett 8pre USB
Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Hmm, maybe they introduced that in PT10, although I thought this was possible before.

Obviously I am wrong.

Sorry, mate,

Timothy
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM

No worries, thanks.

I just did another 500 or so, and before editing I consolidated into one big file. PT's autorename seems to have done it in the right order, I believe because of the fresh timestamp...

Pro Tools 2020.5

Focusrite Clarett 8pre USB
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 AM

I was interested in this too. I wanted to normalise hundreds of different regions separately, but each region had a fade which caused problems. I did find a workaround which some may find useful.

Duplicate the track with regions to be consolidated.

Consolidate all regions on the original track.

On the dup track, process each region (create idividual files) with the signal generator plugin. I used 0dB sine wave.

Consolidate the regions in this track when done.

Use strip silence on this track and set so that the tone areas are split from the silence gaps, with 0ms start/end pad.

Instead of "strip", use "extract"

Select the newly created silent regions with the object grabber tool.

Drag them onto the original track and delete.

You should now be left with consolidated regions on your original track with the region boundaries exactly as originally.

Hope someone finds it useful!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 AM

I know this is a very old thread, but I had a similar problem - 23,000 audio clips to separate, apply top and tail fades and bounce.

First, strip silence, at the right threshold and leaving 50ms silence at start and end of each clip.

Next, select the whole playlist and apply batch fades.

Then consolidate the whole region.

Then strip silence again, renaming and leaving the same silences.

Then, as someone else said, in regions list, export regions as files.

Now I just have to figure out how to automatically rename all the regions, and I'll have done 3 weeks work in a couple of days (hopefully).
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 AM

This would be the kind of job I would leave for a standalone editor / batch processor, if there are so many steps and problems in PT.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM

To solve your quickey problem, select the entire track, and apply 1ms fade ins and outs to all the regions, not adjusting existing fades. Then the triple-tab will always be right.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 PM

I've been testing this out today, with PT 10.3.5 under Windows 7.

I have several clips with fades, which I want to export from PT with the fades printed to the audio. But:
1) If I consolidate them (alt+shift+3), the fades remain real-time, not printed.
2) If I export them as files from the clips window, the fades aren't included at all.
3) I could bounce and re-import them individually, but that would be very tedious.

I am sure that (1) didn't happen in PT9, but maybe I'm misremembering.

As for (2), the behaviour does kind of make sense, because the clips window shows the clips in their "raw" state, not as they appear on the timeline. However it is a PITA for certain workflows.

After some experimenting, this is what I found:

• Selecting multiple clips on the timeline and processing them with Audiosuite Gain, in 'Create Individual Files' and 'Entire Selection' mode DOES print the fades to the clips. This works even with 0dB gain change from the plugin.
  • Trying to do the same thing with the Audiosuite Duplicate plugin doesn't work. 'Create Individual Files' can only be done 'Clip by Clip', and doesn't render the fade. It's basically like consolidating the individual clips. The realtime fade remains on the duplicated clip.
  • With Duplicate set to 'Create Continuous Files', the only choice is 'Entire Selection'. This DOES print the fade to the duplicated clip, but it also bounced all the clips together into one file, including the spaces between them. I get the same result when setting the Gain plugin to 'Create Continuous Files', which is as expected.
But what I don't understand is why the Duplicate plugin cannot duplicate individual clips and render the fades at the same time. Could that be a bug?

This said, the methods described by EoinKenobi and mwpmorris1 seem pretty complicated, so perhaps I'm overlooking something? Using the Gain plugin makes this task straightforward, as far as I can tell.