View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I agree with you there, those newly designed box for your system would undeniably be bigger than the actual HD I/O box, remember you want to be able to place a full length hdx card in it + converters etc.

So you then come to think, what do we do? Do we do a box that can only fit 1 card, so if you want a hdx 3, you need to buy three of the new boxes? Or do we do one box that can fit the 3 hdx card inside it, which will make them bigger than the current hd I/O boxes, less portable, with so many connectors on it to allow the 11 other I/O box to connect to that one box (1 hdx card can connect 4 Hd I/O to it)

So you're still stuck with a system.. that wouldn't be portable after all either way, 3 box one card in each, or 1 box 3 cards in it.. plus all the other I/O boxes to connect to to either new redesign. Of course the other way around this could be creating 1 box for the cards, and one mega I/O box that would include 192 Ins and outs, with how many adat ports to plug preamps and other things? What price would that new and improved system cost more?

So while thinking oh yeah it would be great to allow portability.. well I guess that's why the HDN exists.. HDX wasn't meant to be portable one bit.
In a 2U system, the PCB could definitely allow for more than 18 DSPs(1 HDX Card). As for how powerful to make it, there's many directions to take that concept based on needs and use. The UAD Apollo and Eleven Rack are a few examples and directions it could go. With the Apollo concept, Avid would not be limited to a small number of plug-ins from just one manufacturer like UAD, as all AAX DSP plug-ins could be used from anyone who develops for it. It would definitely be a more portable solution but also no worries about filling PCI slots in a tower, thus more computer(and even motherboard) choices.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit