Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   ProTools price adjustments from July 1st. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405261)

Akiz 06-18-2019 03:36 AM

ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

1 Attachment(s)
http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1560853825

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405253

After the recent 2019 release fiasco, now this....
:mad:

JFreak 06-18-2019 04:08 AM

Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:

we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price

DJ Hellfire 06-18-2019 04:11 AM

I just don’t understand how they are justifying this considering the price and capability of the competition. Pro Tools is no longer “the industry standard” as most of the industry (music-wise) has moved onto project studios where many are using other DAWs. Pro Tools users really haven’t gotten much innovation at all since Pro Tools 12 released. For vanilla users, we mostly got a bunch of hand-me-down features from HD. And sorry to say, no one is using CC. And most of us more experienced users are not using tech support. I’ve been a Pro Tools user since 2008 and have yet to call tech support at all.

Logic Pro is still fixed at $199. Studio One is fixed at $399. Reaper is $60. Cubase is fixed at $550. Yet we have paid more than all of these since 12 and have gotten barely any ground breaking features to this day. And now we are being asked to pay double for the same slow service. Blows my mind.

DJ Hellfire 06-18-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529724)
no price change for pro tools

Good to hear.

Akiz 06-18-2019 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529724)
we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price

This is for users on subscription. The perpetual license users will have to pay $199 from July 1st to renew their annual plan. It is explained thoroughly in the FB Avid users group.

:mad:

64GTOBOY 06-18-2019 05:19 AM

Looks like the only ones getting screwed are us non ultimate perpetual users. I knew they were going to do this when they said they had new "products" coming, but it still sucks.:mad:

Akiz 06-18-2019 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just in case "someone" missed it....

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1560860529

JFreak 06-18-2019 05:34 AM

in case someone missed it, avid wants people to turn the perpetual licenses into subscriptions and in this case it is 99/year

nigelpry 06-18-2019 05:41 AM

Avid’s announcement actually says “In addition, we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price. ”

The key word is “subscribing”. The ‘no price increase’ statement only relates to subscription licenses, not perpetual licenses.

Avid’s announcement then goes on to say this in respect of perpetual licenses ...

“For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license. As an alternative to renewing at the new pricing, there are incentives for you to cross-grade from your current perpetual license to subscription, like decreased pricing and additional functionality, depending on the product. We would highly recommend that you look at those options as you consider your next renewal.”

So, the announcement itself simply glosses over (i.e. fails to mention) the revised pricing for annual support/update renewal of EXISTING perpetual licenses, instead focusing on incentives to get people to switch from perpetual to subscription licenses.

In fact, if you look at the perpetual software renewal prices, you see that the price has not changed for Pro Tools Ultimate software owners, at $399, but is doubling from $99 to $199 for Pro Tools owners. Yes that’s right, a 50.25% increase actually (as a 50% increase would have made the new price $198).

So Jfreak’s comment and DJ Hellfire’s posts in this thread must be read with caution .... the no price increase assertion applies to subscriptions, and to Ultimate perpetual support/update renewals, BUT NOT to Pro Tools (standard) perpetual license support/update renewals.

Akiz 06-18-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

avid wants people to turn the perpetual licenses into subscriptions and in this case it is 99/year
By surrender the perpetual license one has kept paying for years to get on the subscription wagon, so when that expires the user will have nothing, until of course keep paying.....What a scam!
Wow, you think you are smart enough to con people like that???
So embarrassing, once again.
The train wreck called Avid holds well....

:mad::mad::mad:

Teej 06-18-2019 05:45 AM

Another step making it clear that the only user bases they care about are post and bigger studios. They're not making PT attractive to anyone outside of the established userbase...up and coming people in music will use something else.

My question: Does this affect the PTHD10 perpetual reinstatement or does this remain available at $999?

JFreak 06-18-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2529735)
“For those of you that are currently on Perpetual Licenses, the increase ranges from 0-33% on new licenses depending on the product and type of license.”

I'm 99% sure Avid means if you renew your support plan this month you will get your new support coverage with old price

JFreak 06-18-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teej (Post 2529737)
Another step making it clear that the only user bases they care about are post and bigger studios. They're not making PT attractive to anyone outside of the established userbase...up and coming people in music will use something else.

This is something I'm not very keen to comment, but first number I saw on that new price list is 9.99/mth for customers who surrender the perpetual license and subscribe. If that isn't an attractive price, then tell me what is?

JFreak 06-18-2019 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teej (Post 2529737)
Does this affect the PTHD10 perpetual reinstatement or does this remain available at $999?

Avid might have to clarify the pricing the coming days, but it is sensible to think reinstatement remains the same price if you do it this month, but beginning of July the only option may very well be crossgrading to subscription. If something isn't on the list, then there must be a reason.

JFreak 06-18-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiz (Post 2529736)
By surrender the perpetual license one has kept paying for years to get on the subscription wagon, so when that expires the user will have nothing, until of course keep paying.....What a scam!

Adobe customers bit the bullet much earlier, Avid is just following suit (pun intended)

LightWing 06-18-2019 05:56 AM

Doesn't anyone write this stuff off on their income taxes? I certainly do and I have a one man home studio.

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529741)
This is something I'm not very keen to comment, but first number I saw on that new price list is 9.99/mth for customers who surrender the perpetual license and subscribe. If that isn't an attractive price, then tell me what is?

And the response is...Crickets. :)

Teej 06-18-2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529741)

Surrendering a perpetual license is not attractive regardless of the price. They can do whatever they want to the rental price in the future.

Also they just increased all the PT Vanilla rental prices for people not surrendering a license...I feel like you misunderstood me or the new pricing. I'm talking about attracting new young producers and mixers to Pro Tools. The price just went up for anyone considering a new Vanilla rental or perpetual license (when taking into account renewals.)

Teej 06-18-2019 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529742)
Avid might have to clarify the pricing the coming days, but it is sensible to think reinstatement remains the same price if you do it this month, but beginning of July the only option may very well be crossgrading to subscription. If something isn't on the list, then there must be a reason.

Right but in the Q&A on Facebook:

"3. Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
Avid will continue to offer re-instatements."

It would be insane to make this statement and then not offer HD10 to Ultimate reinstatements anymore...and since it's not on the list the sensible assumption would be that it remains at the same price. However with Avid it's not sensible to make any assumptions.

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiz (Post 2529736)
Wow, you think you are smart enough to con people like that???
So embarrassing, once again.
The train wreck called Avid holds well....

:mad::mad::mad:

I believe you are incorrect. If you let your subscription expire Pro Tools CONTINUES to work at the release level you have at that time.

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529740)
Nigel,

I'm 99% sure Avid means if you renew your support plan this month you will get your new support coverage with old price

JFreak, so yes, it’s true, I can choose to renew my support plan early, and beat the price increase, as it only comes into effect on July 1st.

In fact that section of the Q&A, at the end of Avid’s announcement, is the only clue to the fact that the cost of the support plan is going up for Pro Tools (standard) perpetual licenses.

Avid clearly did not have the nuts to directly include the fact of the 50% hike in support plan renewals for Pro Tools (standard) perpetual licenses in the announcement itself.

As always with Avid, you have to focus on what they don’t say, as much as what they do say.

And as for Teej, asking about reinstatement costs, well the announcement Q&A says ...

Q) Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
We are currently evaluating these programs.

In other words ... Avid hasn’t decided, or has decided NOT to still support reinstatement programs, but doesn’t want to announce it yet .... because if Avid had definitely decided to carry on supporting reinstatement programs it would simply have said so!

And that may affect anyone, Ultimate or Standard perpetual license owner, who decided not to pay the annual fee, figuring they could wait several years with a version they can live with, and then reinstate to get current again only when stability improvements and new features provide enough incentive.

I think you will need to reinstate sooner rather than later, or you may well find the rug pulled out from under your feet!!

Teej 06-18-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2529750)
And as for Teej, asking about reinstatement costs, well the announcement Q&A says ...

Q) Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
We are currently evaluating these programs.

In other words ... Avid hasn’t decided, or has decided NOT to still support reinstatement programs, but doesn’t want to announce it yet .... because if Avid had definitely decided to carry on supporting reinstatement programs it would simply have said so.

Whoa whoa wait a second. On Facebook it still says

"3. Will avid still support Perpetual re-instatement programs?
Avid will continue to offer re-instatements"

This is as reported on pro-tools-expert as well.

Where did you get your quote??

Akiz 06-18-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529748)
I believe you are incorrect. If you let your subscription expire Pro Tools CONTINUES to work at the release level you have at that time.

Please read again, i don't think you got it, dear co-poster!

Jfreak said that Avid wants to convert perpetual licenses to subscriptions.
To move from perpetual license to subscription license you will surrender the perpetual license to acquire the subscription one which is a rental option, meaning it works as long as you continue to pay. If you want to stop paying the sub, ProTools will stop working too, because it is not PERPETUAL any more!
Hope it is clear by now!

Cheers!

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529748)

Remember the word “subscription” has a specific meaning in Avid speak.

A subscription license is something you pay for monthly, or annually, but it IS NOT a permanent license. A subscription license stops working at all if you stop psying the subscription fee.

A permanent license is called a “perpetual” license in Avid speak. As well as buying a perpetual license, you have the option of paying an annual fee for a support plan to go with your perpetual license.

The support plan gives you access to updates to the software, as well as support. If you stop paying for the support plan, when it is due for renewal, then your perpetual license still works (that’s why it is called perpetual), but you only have access to Pro Tools software updates released up to the date that your support plan runs out.

It is the support plan renewal cost that is doubling for Pro Tools (standard) perpetual license holders.

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teej (Post 2529746)
They can do whatever they want to the rental price in the future.

That's true of ANY business isn't it?

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:26 AM

@nigelpry Thanks for clearing that up. I've been a "subscriber" since it first came out and I won't see an increase.

LightWing 06-18-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiz (Post 2529752)

To move from perpetual license to subscription license you will surrender the perpetual license to acquire the subscription one which is a rental option, meaning it works as long as you continue to pay. If you want to stop paying the sub, ProTools will stop working too, because it is not PERPETUAL any more!
Hope it is clear by now!
Cheers!

Yup! :)

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akiz (Post 2529752)

Hope it is clear by now!

Cheers!

Avid’s announcement says that the whole technology industry is shifting to a new business model based on subscription, and tries to promote this as something positive for the end user.

But as you rightly say, if you convert your perpetual license for a subscription license as its attractive pricing, you are actually giving up your perpetual license, and are signing to carry on paying for as ling as you want to use the software.

This may or may not be attractive to some people, it certainly isn’t to me.

And, of course, once you’ve given up your perpetual license for the attractively priced subscription license, and given that you have no control over future subscription pricing, you are entering into a system that will be much more costly in the long term.

nigelpry 06-18-2019 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529755)
@nigelpry Thanks for clearing that up. I've been a "subscriber" since it first came out and I won't see an increase.

Ok, but your license WILL stop working anytime you don’t pay the subscription when it is due ...

... contrary to what your earlier post said about the license continuing to work at the release level it is at when you stop subscribing.

Akiz 06-18-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelpry (Post 2529757)
Avid’s announcement says that the whole technology industry is shifting to a new business model based on subscription, and tries to promote this as something positive for the end user.

But as you rightly say, if you convert your perpetual license for a subscription license as its attractive pricing, you are actually giving up your perpetual license, and are signing to carry on paying for as ling as you want to use the software.

This may or may not be attractive to some people, it certainly isn’t to me.

And, of course, once you’ve given up your perpetual license for the attractively priced subscription license, and given that you have no control over future subscription pricing, you are entering into a system that will be much more costly in the long term.

Precisely! Well said!
To give away a perpetual license for a subscription one it is plain stupid thing to do....especially when we have to deal with a company like Avid...
They have a special way to shoot their own foot.... i have to give this on them!

p.s.
My new pet peeve is the claim: As many of you know, the entire technology industry is going through a major shift from perpetual licenses to a new business model focused on subscription.
Utter BS! Who writes that crap, i wonder???

Cheers!

RB Blackstone 06-18-2019 07:13 AM

To me the choice is clear since I have a perpetual license.

If I never pay a dime for PT support again, perpetual means I should still be able to open my last session. I won't get updates, but all my content is still available.

If I convert that perpetual license to a rental/subscription, my content is available to me only as long as I continue renting. One glitch or whatever and I am locked out of my own productions whether it's my fault or not.

I was a user of the mastering software Triumph. Last month, there was some sort a disagreement with the founders. Instantly, the servers were cut off that would have allowed my to enable my license on a new computer. Cut off completely now from a product I paid for.

I will renew PT for a year at least. I have to. Probably more since I started on PTIII and have a lot of media stored away.

It's good practice to store all sessions in exported stems anyway. I will be making sure that is done from here on out.

This appears to be the best marketing move imaginable for Avids competitors.

DJ Hellfire 06-18-2019 08:14 AM

Meanwhile, Slate just announced a motherload of an update all while keeping the price the same.

gnjlee 06-18-2019 08:31 AM

I am not giving up my permanent license. 200.00 a year is really pushing it for PT vanilla. I can easily freeze my system for a very ...long...time.. which would end up saving me quite a bit of money as I could stop updating my plugins as well. 9.99 a month for trading in my permanent license isn't a good deal at all considering that I was only paying 100.00 a year before. Now I could drop off for 5 years or so and really save money AVID! Tempting.

JFreak 06-18-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire (Post 2529774)
Meanwhile, Slate just announced a motherload of an update all while keeping the price the same.

FGX 2.0 already? Soon?

weezul 06-18-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightWing (Post 2529744)
Doesn't anyone write this stuff off on their income taxes? I certainly do and I have a one man home studio.

Do you think your clients would be happy with a 100% price increase tomorrow morning? For no reason? I doubt it. Why should we 'be happy' about it?

DJ Hellfire 06-18-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2529777)
FGX 2.0 already? Soon?

A whole bunch of crap I will probably never use but some may find it useful. Access to a bunch of tutorials and sessions from industry heavyweights and 28 new plugins.

lgreen100 06-18-2019 08:36 AM

I haven't seen any meaningful additions to Pro Tools since version 12.4. I think Avid will drive current users to other DAWs with the price increase for Pro Tools Standard. I am already starting to look!

gnjlee 06-18-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgreen100 (Post 2529780)
I haven't seen any meaningful additions to Pro Tools since version 12.4. I think Avid will drive current users to other DAWs with the price increase for Pro Tools Standard. I am already starting to look!

At this point, I might be with you. That cost is just too high for me to justify as someone who doesn't make their primary income from recording.

I might have to capitulate and go to subscription, in like 5+ years of not paying for updates. That is a savings of 1000 to 1400 dollars just in PT costs. What a great plan you have AVID!

gnjlee 06-18-2019 08:51 AM

You all might want to insure yourselves over possible "incompatibility" for future versions of Windows. It might already be in there for 2019.5. Guess I will download some earlier versions just in case they "disappear".

mustgroove 06-18-2019 09:04 AM

So basically the idea is to induce everyone to move to the subscription because every other option is extremely opaque and expensive?

$199 annual renewals for the perpetual license is an absolute joke.