Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   USB Midi Controller for 11R (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=289201)

fly_with_v 12-06-2010 04:44 PM

USB Midi Controller for 11R

I have been attempting to try and hook up a Line 6 Shortboard to control my Eleven Rack. Currently , I have Pro Tools configured to recieved Machine Code from the shortboard for play/record/ stop and it works correctly. But, I can not get any CC message to be received by any of the plug ins, like Xpand or Boom. I have also noticed that the 11 Rack windows has not midi learn functions so I am not even sure if I can control any of those functions without using a no-usb device that is plugged into the Eleven Rack.

Has anyone ever used a USB Midi device to control the 11r

Hotcrazyfruit 12-06-2010 07:52 PM

Re: USB Midi Controller for 11R

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_with_v (Post 1716797)
I have been attempting to try and hook up a Line 6 Shortboard to control my Eleven Rack. Currently , I have Pro Tools configured to recieved Machine Code from the shortboard for play/record/ stop and it works correctly. But, I can not get any CC message to be received by any of the plug ins, like Xpand or Boom. I have also noticed that the 11 Rack windows has not midi learn functions so I am not even sure if I can control any of those functions without using a no-usb device that is plugged into the Eleven Rack.

Has anyone ever used a USB Midi device to control the 11r

I use an EMU 1x1 to use midi within protools.. for VI's and such, but i have not tried using it to control the 11R. It should work, make sure you configure it in peripherals > midi controllers.

madgt621 12-06-2010 11:04 PM

If you have a Mac, you might be able to use the IAC, or even just route it in your Audio MIDI Setup.

fly_with_v 12-09-2010 10:07 AM

OK so I figured it out. I have been searching the documentation in Pro Tools (and the web) and really could not find anything clear on this. But watching the included video did talk a little about setting up a midi track in Pro Tools for using a keyboard to control some of the plug-ins like Boom. So I thought well maybe that is how I need to set it up, and of course that is how you set it up.

Other then seting the FBV active in midi -> input devices and enable machine control for transport options, no other settings where needed.

So each session will need to have a midi track with the i/o in put set to the FBV and the output set to eleven rack. I then used the Line 6 FBV Control software to set up the device. I have two setups, one using MMC for the transport controls, and the other using CC's for control patch and bank changes, wah and volume. For bank changes i use the midi command program change with a value of 4 and increment/decrement.

It works perfectly. Well you do need to recreate the midi track in each session and you need to have Pro Tools loaded and a session opened to use the controller, so obviously no standalone mode. But it will get me by for now until I decide to use the device live.

To some that have een using Pro Tools (or any DAW) for a while this process might seem normal, but for a noobie not so much. Hope this helps.

59tweed 12-09-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_with_v (Post 1718446)
...you do need to recreate the midi track in each session and you need to have Pro Tools loaded and a session opened to use the controller...

You might consider creating a template, and then you won't have to manually add and configure the track and i/o.

fly_with_v 12-09-2010 03:55 PM

That is my next setup, just need to figure it out:confused: I was trying to export the track as midi but I assume that is just for the data.

So thank you for the help, that will steer me in the right direction. After that I need to figure out how to punch in and out, probably simple for you, new to me.

Regardless, I am having tons of fun with this device. I have a GSP that I have been using for a few years and I love it, but the recording interface of the 11r is killer (not to mention it sounds great!).

It is too bad there isn't a practical use manual. It seams most of the manual just gives breif descriptions with no real examples. But I am getting there.

Also, I tried setting the FBV up in Midi Studio but the results where not very good. I could set it up using the "external" for 11r control but it tends to cause a signal lose issue between Pro Tools and the 11r. Using the "Eleven Rack" has the output was a no go.