Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mac OS Sierra doesn´t restore window position on Dual Monitor System (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=393627)

tonwurm 09-09-2017 02:04 AM

Mac OS Sierra doesn´t restore window position on Dual Monitor System

Since I upgraded my Mac Pro to Sierra 10.12.6 there´s an issue with restoring window positions, primarily in Finder but also in some apps.

If I open f.e. a folder in Finder and move the window to the second monitor, after closing and reopening it, it opens always on the first monitor. Until now (on Mavericks f.e.) windows have always opened exactly on that screen where they have been closed before.

Maybe someone can give me an idea how to fix this issue. Thanks in advance.

cwsand 09-16-2017 07:57 PM

Re: Mac OS Sierra doesn´t restore window position on Dual Monitor System

There's a way to do it using Mission Control which I discovered recently having the same issue. Basically you set up these "virtual" desktops and then you can right click on the app in the menu bar and set it to open on the monitor you want. You should Google it...

tonwurm 09-17-2017 06:33 AM

thanks for your reply Chris

But I´m not sure if we are talking about the same issue :rolleyes:

only for clearness: I double click a folder in Finder and move the window to the second monitor. Then I close the window and re-open it. Instead it opens exactly on the last position (on the second monitor) it opens on the first monitor.

Before upgrading to Sierra I never had such an issue. I started the mac in Safe-Mode (disabling any extensions), but this issue remains.

I created a new user-account and there this issue doesn't´t occur ... strange.

I didn´t install sierra from the ground up (clean install) - instead I upgraded from Mavericks, maybe there´s something left from the older system that causes it

cwsand 09-17-2017 10:06 AM

I'm not positive, but it seems like for me if I select Finder on whichever screen - that screen is is now the default for opening folders or accessing any open program's menu.

tonwurm 09-18-2017 01:01 AM

okay ... that seems to be something different

tonwurm 11-05-2017 05:50 AM

I have to add that it wasn´t an issue occuring on a dual monitor system only. the issue was that the Finder didn´t store information like Finder-window size, position and view (f.e. column or list view)

I´ve found the culprit: after deleting all "com.apple.dock...." - preferences in User/Library/Preferences all finder folder windows occur in size / position / view as they have been closed before

wondering what these preferences had to do with this issue ... but it works ;-)

treason 03-04-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonwurm (Post 2457877)
I have to add that it wasn´t an issue occuring on a dual monitor system only. the issue was that the Finder didn´t store information like Finder-window size, position and view (f.e. column or list view)

I too have had this issue since migrating from ElCap to High Sierra (same issue in Sierra - really anything post ElCap). It's been driving me nuts, and I finally found the cause and solution, if anyone else comes across this issue.

I use Spaces in macOS (6 of them) on my Pro Tools HDX machine, and have (for years) assigned applications to specific desktops (that way they open in the assigned space regardless of where they were launched from). In a Pro Tools specific instance, this is accomplished by right clicking the Pro Tools on the dock, selecting Options: Assign To: Desktop 1

THIS IS THE PROBLEM

If you do not assign an application to a specific Desktop, your windows (plugins, sends, mixer, etc) open where you last placed them.

To be pedantic - do not assign Pro Tools to a specific window if you use Spaces and your windows will restore to the last known location.

Hope this helps someone

iggydolby 02-20-2019 02:30 PM

That's not true.... All sessions created with Protools HD 10 open perfectly with the Mixer screen on the Left monitor and edit screen on the Right monitor. Once I saved them and update let's say a plugin setting etc with ProTools Ultimate HDX they break and the window settings is never corrected again. Mixer and Edit open one on top of each on the right monitor no matter what I do or even saving new "Windows Configuration" I'm on Sierra also.
I've created a new session and still the same problem.

ivomarkovic 12-02-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treason (Post 2478415)
I too have had this issue since migrating from ElCap to High Sierra (same issue in Sierra - really anything post ElCap). It's been driving me nuts, and I finally found the cause and solution, if anyone else comes across this issue.

I use Spaces in macOS (6 of them) on my Pro Tools HDX machine, and have (for years) assigned applications to specific desktops (that way they open in the assigned space regardless of where they were launched from). In a Pro Tools specific instance, this is accomplished by right clicking the Pro Tools on the dock, selecting Options: Assign To: Desktop 1

THIS IS THE PROBLEM

If you do not assign an application to a specific Desktop, your windows (plugins, sends, mixer, etc) open where you last placed them.

To be pedantic - do not assign Pro Tools to a specific window if you use Spaces and your windows will restore to the last known location.

Hope this helps someone

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I was looking for this for the last three months...

Ben Jenssen 12-02-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivomarkovic (Post 2585853)
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I was looking for this for the last three months...

For any one else trying this and looking for the "Assign to..." option in Dock; I'm pretty shure it went away at some point. At least, it doesn't show here on 10.15.7.