Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cut Only EQ clipping light after brickwall limiter on Master Fader? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=280648)

spiritG 08-23-2010 11:56 PM

Cut Only EQ clipping light after brickwall limiter on Master Fader?

Both Oxford EQ and EQ III are showing clipping on their outputs with cut only settings (i.e. -4 @140hz). They are after an x3 with it's ceiling set to 0.1 db and then a Massey 2007, even with it's maximum output control lowered a notch or two. The master fader is at 0.
Are the EQ's clipping with only cut?
Do their clip lights show clipping at a lower level than the massey.
Do cut only EQ settings result in some boost at the edge/shoulder of the cut that could cause this?
Lowering the EQ output volume sufficiently stops the clipping indicator.
The more the cut, the greater the output volume has to be lowered, and the average indication on the output level is notably lower than the input level.

How can I trim a bid of low end mud from the mix without lowering the overall volume, or changing the limiting (which would happen if the EQ's were put ahead of the limiters?

Thumper1040 08-24-2010 12:02 AM

Re: Cut Only EQ clipping light after brickwall limiter on Master Fader?

Eqs will have a slight boost where the frequency curve starts to cut. That's why you're getting the little clip light.

As far as fixing the mud in your mix, I'd fix it in the mix, not on the 2bus after a limiter.

I personally prefer to have everything sounding perfect before applying an l2 or whatever. I don't want my the limited reacting to something that is going to be removed later.

Tobias Eichelberg 08-24-2010 03:44 AM

Since any non linear phase eq will change the phase on the edges of the passband, even when you only cut frequencies, that phase change can and likely will change the peak level of the program/audio. Either use a linear phase eq or leave a little headroom.

Rich Breen 08-24-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritG (Post 1657436)
How can I trim a bid of low end mud from the mix without lowering the overall volume, or changing the limiting (which would happen if the EQ's were put ahead of the limiters?

You can't - you should either leave enough headroom for post-limiter processing, or put the processing where it should be - *ahead* of the limiter. No DSP should be done to program that's been brickwalled to -.1dBFS

best,
rich

JFreak 08-24-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper1040 (Post 1657439)
As far as fixing the mud in your mix, I'd fix it in the mix, not on the 2bus after a limiter.

Fix everything *before* the limiter...

JFreak 08-24-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 1657626)
No DSP should be done to program that's been brickwalled to -.1dBFS

+infinite

(not to mention, if the limiter has noise shaping dithering activated, there should be zero processing after that anyway...)