Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PT 12 Track Presets (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=372691)

jkeefauver 10-04-2015 04:50 AM

PT 12 Track Presets

This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

1. Create a Track Presets (plural) folder under Documents / Pro Tools
2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

:cool:

musicman691 10-04-2015 07:32 AM

Re: PT 12 Track Presets hack

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeefauver (Post 2300186)
This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

You can save a step when you do the export and that's to change the file extension right there; been doing that on my iMac. Do note that you may have to restart PT to see the new presets.

guitardom 10-04-2015 08:00 AM

Quote:

Trasher in my signature will create the main folder along with quite a few categorically layer out sub folders.

jkeefauver 10-05-2015 03:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Good stuff.

Oliver M 10-05-2015 06:45 AM

Quote:

Or use the AppleScript I wrote, thats Mac only of course. ;-)

jimreeves 10-16-2015 10:06 AM

Re: PT 12 Track Presets hack (for window7 PT12HD+)

I figured out the PC/MAC difference. Create the "Track Presets" folder in the: User/Your Username/Documents/Pro Tools/ Track Presets. Not in the Programs(x86)/Avid/ Pro Tools folder.:-)

YYR123 10-16-2015 10:19 AM

Would like to see this implemented by Avid please!!

Pls put this up front for all to use w/o work arounds

JFreak 12-09-2015 06:32 AM

Re: PT 12 Track Presets

This was possible in PT11 as well. I wonder why it isn't an official feature yet. Especially as everyone at Avid must know we're using it already.

12.4 perhaps? Not holding my breath as I've been using this for ages.

musicman691 12-09-2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2317969)
This was possible in PT11 as well. I wonder why it isn't an official feature yet. Especially as everyone at Avid must know we're using it already.

12.4 perhaps? Not holding my breath as I've been using this for ages.

You're kidding - PT12 doesn't officially have this? You still have to do the workaround?

YYR123 12-09-2015 12:08 PM

I know it's ludicrous.... proTools 10 was the first version that I believe we could do this track preset with