Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=327737)

JamesClark1991 09-07-2012 02:09 PM

Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Hi, I'm studying Sound Technology at university level and I need a DAW, naturally Pro Tools is my first choice. I will be purchasing a new PC in October/November when I go back to university which will have Windows 8 installed as default. However, I can't find anything on the AVID website (which is really poor imho) or on Google that gives information about Pro Tools 10 Windows 8 support. Could someone clarify if AVID are planning to (or already do) support Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

I know for sure that Cubase 6.5 work on Windows 8 and it is my second choice DAW, but I'd prefer to learn the industry standard.

I don't mind waiting til after Christmas to buy if I have to, I'd just like some re-assurance on your stance at the moment.

I don't want to purchase Cubase 6.5 only to find out you'll be patching support for Pro Tools in the near future.

I'd really appreciate ANY information on this as it's quite serious for me, I *need* a DAW for uni by March at the latest.

filosofem 09-07-2012 02:31 PM

Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Avid have not Qualified Windows 8 for Pro Tools.

JamesClark1991 09-07-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1962465)
Avid have not Qualified Windows 8 for Pro Tools.

Why not?

guitardom 09-07-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 (Post 1962491)
Why not?

it is still in beta, its not even released. a developer preview has been released but things will still change in it. normal procedure for hem to wait until after its released to address it. how they have always done it.

Darryl Ramm 09-07-2012 04:34 PM

Avid has never been quick to qualify new OS releases and they do not publicly commit ahead of time when OSes will be officially supported.

Though hopefully they might provide some guidance here given folks seem to be having trouble getting things to work with Windows 8.

Anyhow the reason is for delays to support new OS releases is some combination of --

1. As Avid staff have explained here in the past there is a huge matrix of Avid and 3rd party interfaces, computer configuration, third party plugins, control surfaces, etc. they need to test against and this is just a huge effort.

2. Avid is not doing well, has laid off lots of people and reassigned others. Who know what affect his has on QA/testing and getting any product changes that may be necessary actually released. (I have no idea of any actual impact here).

3. Maybe Avid intends to tweek things in Pro Tools for Windows 8 UI features (I have no clue if this is planned).

4. Mac users have just gone through Lion and now Mountain Lion (and its not officially supported yet either). Since Mac is always more important than PCs the impact of doing that work may slow down official approval on Windows... :-)

Take you choice, the answer will likely be some combination of the above.

But, and it the important BUT,... as is often the case for these "this is urgent dramas", there are obvious workable options should the worse case thing happen and Avid did not have a supported Pro Tools release on Windows 8. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to buy/use a Windows 8 PC. Windows 7 is fully supported and OEMs will likely still sell them fro some time, and you'll have the even better option of buying a Windows 8 Pro PC and using the downgrade license ability to run Windows 7.

Darryl

filosofem 09-07-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 1962497)
it is still in beta, its not even released. a developer preview has been released but things will still change in it. normal procedure for hem to wait until after its released to address it. how they have always done it.

Right on brother. ;)

JamesClark1991 09-07-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 1962499)
Avid has never been quick to qualify new OS releases and they do not publicly commit ahead of time when OSes will be officially supported.

Though hopefully they might provide some guidance here given folks seem to be having trouble getting things to work with Windows 8.

Anyhow the reason is for delays to support new OS releases is some combination of --

1. As Avid staff have explained here in the past there is a huge matrix of Avid and 3rd party interfaces, computer configuration, third party plugins, control surfaces, etc. they need to test against and this is just a huge effort.

2. Avid is not doing well, has laid off lots of people and reassigned others. Who know what affect his has on QA/testing and getting any product changes that may be necessary actually released. (I have no idea of any actual impact here).

3. Maybe Avid intends to tweek things in Pro Tools for Windows 8 UI features (I have no clue if this is planned).

4. Mac users have just gone through Lion and now Mountain Lion (and its not officially supported yet either). Since Mac is always more important than PCs the impact of doing that work may slow down official approval on Windows... :-)

Take you choice, the answer will likely be some combination of the above.

But, and it the important BUT,... as is often the case for these "this is urgent dramas", there are obvious workable options should the worse case thing happen and Avid did not have a supported Pro Tools release on Windows 8. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to buy/use a Windows 8 PC. Windows 7 is fully supported and OEMs will likely still sell them fro some time, and you'll have the even better option of buying a Windows 8 Pro PC and using the downgrade license ability to run Windows 7.

Darryl

Tremendously helpful post!

Might have to look into the W7 downgrade option then as my experience with AVID so far has been less than great (and I haven't even purchased anything yet!)

Looks like I'll be buying Cubase 6.5 at this rate. I'm going into my second year of uni soon and I will *NEED* a DAW for most things by Christmas at the latest for vital coursework. There aren't a lot of good free DAWs as well I find.

chrisdee 09-08-2012 12:54 AM

If i remember correct from earlier years dont expect any support for a new os for atleast 6 months or more after its reeased.

And as already said, in this case Windows 8 is not even officially released.
Be pacient or go for Windows 7 wich works fine with Pro Tools 10 if you have the right hardware!

JamesClark1991 09-08-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdee (Post 1962562)
If i remember correct from earlier years dont expect any support for a new os for atleast 6 months or more after its reeased.

And as already said, in this case Windows 8 is not even officially released.
Be pacient or go for Windows 7 wich works fine with Pro Tools 10 if you have the right hardware!

Such a shame. I'll go with Cubase 6.5

One of those rare moments where you want to give somebody your cash but they do everything to stop you. Thanks for the replies guys.

stevedemena 09-08-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 1962497)

Windows 8 is not in beta. It's been available (RTM) to MSDN customers for weeks now, of which I am sure Avid is a member.

guitardom 09-08-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedemena (Post 1962637)
Windows 8 is not in beta. It's been available (RTM) to MSDN customers for weeks now, of which I am sure Avid is a member.

Regardless if it's been rtm for months. Avid has no history of dealing w a new OS before its release.

Bob Olhsson 09-08-2012 08:39 AM

I can't imagine Avid isn't testing and wants it to work by the time Windoze 8 is released. The thing is that testing all of the functions in ProTools isn't exactly a trivial task.

When digi/Avid finally supports a new OS it has historically been a lot more solid than most other DAWs.

Mikkie 09-08-2012 12:01 PM

I have just started using windows 8 on my new machine seems great I think they have a winner here ..
The new menu ( tiles ) at first was a little scary ... but after a day or so they are really functional and is very easy to use ... love them .... anyways

I tried to install Pro tools 10.2 and surprise surprise Pro tools will not install ... I received two error

1. The name of my drive was too long more than 11 letters
it was "System Reserved" so I changed it to "SysReserved"
it then let me install it.

2. After the installation I tried to run it then I received this error
"DAE error - 13001 was encountered "

Can't wait for the fix ... does anyone know when it's expected ?

Mikkie 09-08-2012 12:08 PM

I'm running the windows 8 RTM Build 9200 :-)

jeam25 09-08-2012 08:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw0bjygxku4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0WlhRbKZqI

YYR123 09-08-2012 09:16 PM

Nice - I've never been in the cutting edge - but cool u guys got it working - Still running Lion and PT9

soybalm 09-09-2012 01:00 AM

I did the upgrade into a Windows 7 install that I used for testing. Pro Tools was already installed and I absolutely had no problem. It ran without needing a re-install. Windows 8 seems to have smoother, tighter graphics using Quadra 600.

jeam25 09-09-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikkie (Post 1962677)
I have just started using windows 8 on my new machine seems great I think they have a winner here ..
The new menu ( tiles ) at first was a little scary ... but after a day or so they are really functional and is very easy to use ... love them .... anyways

I tried to install Pro tools 10.2 and surprise surprise Pro tools will not install ... I received two error

1. The name of my drive was too long more than 11 letters
it was "System Reserved" so I changed it to "SysReserved"
it then let me install it.

2. After the installation I tried to run it then I received this error
"DAE error - 13001 was encountered "

Can't wait for the fix ... does anyone know when it's expected ?

Error 130001 is resolved by " checking run as administator " on PT shorcut icon .

Mikkie 09-09-2012 06:44 PM

Thank you Jeam25

But now I have another issue

My Digidesign 003 Rack has a exclamation mark beside it
my firewire driver is 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Darryl Ramm 09-09-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikkie (Post 1962963)
Thank you Jeam25

But now I have another issue

My Digidesign 003 Rack has a exclamation mark beside it
my firewire driver is 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Did you start by installing the 003 driver?

What install instructions are you following?

Darryl

Mikkie 09-09-2012 07:37 PM

Hi Darryl

Just plugged in my 003 and started the install.

the 003 did have a yellow icon beside it ... I would have thought that pro tools would have installed the correct drives.

but it still has the yellow icon

I was think maybe it's the firewire driver ?

thanks for you help

Mike

Darryl Ramm 09-09-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikkie (Post 1962974)
Hi Darryl

Just plugged in my 003 and started the install.

the 003 did have a yellow icon beside it ... I would have thought that pro tools would have installed the correct drives.

but it still has the yellow icon

I was think maybe it's the firewire driver ?

thanks for you help

Mike

No. Pro Tools 9/10 is not able to magically install drivers for hundreds of possible devices. This is now separate install step. You need to follow the directions for when to install the driver and when to connect the device.

It is probably a good idea to manually remove this incorrect driver that has now been installed by the Windows plug and pray drunken pixies, remove your 003 and then follow the proper install process.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to stumble though this blind. Open up and follow the documented install instructions. And then after that make sure you also do all the recommended/documented systems optimizations.

Darryl

Mikkie 09-10-2012 06:31 PM

Hi Darryl

Thank you for the advice.

Did what you said. went and downloaded the drivers they installed fine.

started Pro tools 10.2 in Admin mode ... now I get this error

( Wish I could just say it worked fine. :( :( )

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer). disk cache size or engine voice count. I you got this error on launch , delete your prefs and try again ( -9514).

Why do they make this so difficult this should be the easy part !!!!!

Just to be clear when I installed it on my mac I didn't have to install any drivers. This is the only program I have on my pc that went I purchase all the equipment and the software from a manufacturer( Avid ). I now have to figure out what to do next. This adding drivers is so pre XP. Most programs since then, look at what the machine has and either upgrades or installs the required drivers ( at least the common ones ). This is standard practices. I think they are just taking the easy way out. But all they have done is frustrated the hell out of guys like me who just want to install it. The program is huge why wouldn't the install portion easy. They seems to spend all kinds of time telling you to go to this page on the web ... then that one down load this .... go here delete this folder ... I could understand if I didn't use Avid products ...

A frustrated Mike :confused:

Darryl Ramm 09-10-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikkie (Post 1963191)
Hi Darryl

Thank you for the advice.

Did what you said. went and downloaded the drivers they installed fine.

started Pro tools 10.2 in Admin mode ... now I get this error

( Wish I could just say it worked fine. :( :( )

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer). disk cache size or engine voice count. I you got this error on launch , delete your prefs and try again ( -9514).

Why do they make this so difficult this should be the easy part !!!!!

Just to be clear when I installed it on my mac I didn't have to install any drivers. This is the only program I have on my pc that went I purchase all the equipment and the software from a manufacturer( Avid ). I now have to figure out what to do next. This adding drivers is so pre XP. Most programs since then, look at what the machine has and either upgrades or installs the required drivers ( at least the common ones ). This is standard practices. I think they are just taking the easy way out. But all they have done is frustrated the hell out of guys like me who just want to install it. The program is huge why wouldn't the install portion easy. They seems to spend all kinds of time telling you to go to this page on the web ... then that one down load this .... go here delete this folder ... I could understand if I didn't use Avid products ...

A frustrated Mike :confused:

What exact install instructions are you now following? From what document, document version and starting on what page number? Have you done those steps from scratch?

The most common cause of this problem is not running as Administrator. Sounds like you are trying to run as administrator, it may be a different problem, and knowing *exactly* all the steps you have done is important.

And as I mentioned before you also need to do the optimizations for you system. In this case follow these Windows 7 instructions as much as possible. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en349411 Did you do the Run as Administrator step exactly as described there?).

Did you also follow the standers troubleshooting instructions (see the Windows 7 troubleshooting instruction linked from the "help us help you..." link above to and delete the prefs (make sure you exit Pro Tools, delete the prefs as described, empty the recycle bin and restart Pro Tools).

When you install on a Mac you do have to add drivers first for Pro Tools 9 and later unless you just want to use the built-in IO. Avid is doing absolutely the right thing here there is no way they can bundle or rely on Windows plug and pray to correctly install device drivers for all third party interfaces, or even want to keep up to date with their own product family drivers on the install media. Doing it manually is an extra step but one what is more reliable for professional users who know what they are doing.

Darryl

JamesClark1991 09-10-2012 08:18 PM

Getting somewhere here. Just to confirm, someone here has it working on Windows 8?

guitardom 09-10-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 (Post 1963216)
Getting somewhere here. Just to confirm, someone here has it working on Windows 8?

yes. it has been confirmed for quite a while that some have it going.

edit:
just realized you commented on this video, so you know it can be done....

JamesClark1991 09-11-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitardom (Post 1963225)
yes. it has been confirmed for quite a while that some have it going.

edit:
just realized you commented on this video, so you know it can be done....

Yeh I know it can be done in this 1 case, but I wanted to know if anyone else had it working. This 1 guy might be a programming wizard or know something about Pro Tools which I may not.

Like the guy Mikie above can't get it working I want to know whether it'll be a pain to get going. I realised Cubase Student Edition doesn't have the 4 years free updates like Pro Tools does and it's the same price, so back to square one :(

JamesClark1991 09-13-2012 03:33 PM

Anyone else?

gonsdeejay 09-14-2012 01:10 PM

Hi Guys, I Have to share this, I Run PT 10 on Windows 8. Build 9200, Right Now I Have Installed PT 10.3.0, To Fix DAE error -13001. I Run PT as Administrator, but other thing happen with cache error. So I Installed PT 9.0.2, and PT Run Perfect, ( I Don't have installed any Virtual Instruments, and Plug Ins yet, (Other tan AVID, BUt This PT 10.3.0 Run Ok,).... PT Open and Sut Down Ok. without crash or any other stuff. Hope this Info work with you guys, (PD) I don't Uninstall PT 9.0.2.) both versión are Installed...!:(

JamesClark1991 09-15-2012 06:39 AM

So you're saying 10.3 works but only if 9 is installed?

Anyone else have any experiience?

Darryl Ramm 09-15-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonsdeejay (Post 1964291)
Hi Guys, I Have to share this, I Run PT 10 on Windows 8. Build 9200, Right Now I Have Installed PT 10.3.0, To Fix DAE error -13001. I Run PT as Administrator, but other thing happen with cache error. So I Installed PT 9.0.2, and PT Run Perfect, ( I Don't have installed any Virtual Instruments, and Plug Ins yet, (Other tan AVID, BUt This PT 10.3.0 Run Ok,).... PT Open and Sut Down Ok. without crash or any other stuff. Hope this Info work with you guys, (PD) I don't Uninstall PT 9.0.2.) both versión are Installed...!:(

i am not sure what you have really done here but you cannot install two versions of Pro Tools at once on the same system. At best what you have is one mangled install. The problem here really needs to be narrowed down a different way. And the leading question is would a clean 9.0.2 install have this problem?

gonsdeejay 09-16-2012 08:01 PM

Hi There, and Yes I'm saying that, PT 10. and PT 9 are Installed on Windows 8, So yes, both are Installed and I only Run PT 10 Of course.:-)

JamesClark1991 09-18-2012 08:14 AM

How can you have both installed at the same time!?

Darryl Ramm 09-18-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 (Post 1965244)
How can you have both installed at the same time!?

You cannot, it's impossible, as we all know, to have two versions of Pro Tools installed at once on the same boot/system image. So at best he has managed to overlay/corrupt files from one install with files from the other.

Trying this is not good advice to give to other users it's going to end up with users having complete messes of installs that will need to be fully removed and replaced.

Darryl

gonsdeejay 09-19-2012 02:05 AM

Hi guys, Ok I try to explain, how is this possible, Fist I install PT 10, when I run PT for fist time, DAE error -13001 appear. so I go to PT icon on the desktop, or All Programs, Click with secondary on the PT icon, check Run as Administrator. on compatibility tab. (Resolve DAE error -13001)

The other situation, was cache dialog. So I decide install PT 9... without uninstall PT 10, (If you try to Install older version, its when PT don't let go back). When PT 10.3.0 run ok, I uninstall PT 9, and re-check if PT 10.3.0 run...again. Yes PT run without any problem..:-)

auratone 09-19-2012 02:20 AM

Ok ok .. where can I download protools 9 ?

ChuckS 09-19-2012 02:54 PM

I'm running 10.3 on an old Toshiba laptop with Win 8 RTM, it appears to work fine with my Line 6 audio device, though I haven't really pushed it. OTOH, with ASIO4ALL, 100% guarantee to freeze system regardless of session and no apparent sequence of events or operations - hard reset of laptop is required. I've always found ASIO4ALL a little flaky anyway, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Edit: An odd issue - the Pod Farm software and drivers work fine except for Line6 Monkey - which shows nothing installed. Probably have a lot of this type of thing going on with the release of Win8 and won't be able to run a full Win8 production system for 6 months or so after the release - time to get everything up to speed. I think I'll quit playing around and revisit this stuff next year.

auratone 09-19-2012 10:47 PM

There is a solution , its stupid but it works !!!

First you install Protools 10 after that, you install protools 9 (no need voor key)

en than you uninstall protools 9

Done !!!

Protools 10 works in windows8 !! :D

JamesClark1991 09-21-2012 05:33 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I will install 9 then 10 when I get it and it should work! :)

Darryl Ramm 09-21-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 (Post 1966168)
Thanks for the replies guys! I will install 9 then 10 when I get it and it should work! :)

Good luck with that, you are following advice that most people here would likely not recommend. Fine if you want to experiment but understand you might end up with a real mess, and who knows what will happen in future if you want to upgrade etc. Other people seem able to get Pro Tools running on Windows 8 without doing this.

Darryl