Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Playback Engine settings not updating (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=370846)

sethsacher 08-15-2015 03:35 PM

Playback Engine settings not updating

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

First time on here, first time with Pro Tools software. I just installed Pro Tools First on Windows 8.1 and I'm having issues with playback. To test my output, I opened one of the templates (House) and started playback (by hitting spacebar); no sound was heard. Navigating to the Playback Engine, my output was incorrectly mapped to Realtek Digital Output rather than my laptop speakers. I clicked the dropdown to change the setting and clicked OK. I received a prompt that the project had to restart in order for the changes to take effect and I clicked Yes to restart the project. Upon the reopening of the project, I noticed that my settings were unchanged; the Realtek Digital Output was still mapped as my Output Device. See screenshots attached of the steps I took and the outcome. Also of note, I was able to change the Input Device from Microphone to None.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? My end goal isn't necessarily to change from Realtek Digital Output to Speakers, but just to hear any output from the project.

Thanks!

SpinningDisk 08-16-2015 07:27 AM

Re: Playback Engine settings not updating

When starting up PT, hold down the N key until popup window shows. Select interface from there. Does that work?

[emoji332]

sethsacher 08-16-2015 07:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was able to pull up the popup window by holding down N (screenshot 06), but I only had one option for the Playback Engine, Windows Audio Device (no dropdown). I tried changing the Output Device here from Realtek to Speakers again to no avail (see screenshot 07 for the Playback Engine settings after I tried changing them again).

Top Jimmy 08-16-2015 08:04 AM

Playback Engine settings not updating

Try using Asio4all. After installing, configure Asio4all for your preferred I/O, then select Asio4all as the playback engine device.

sethsacher 08-16-2015 08:06 AM

That was my next thought. I installed ASIO4ALL, but I cannot open any past projects without receiving an error: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document (-20006)." Trying to create a new project, I receive a different error: "There was an error posting the project."

Any ideas?

SpinningDisk 08-16-2015 08:20 AM

Try importing you past projects as a new session etc..

[emoji332]

sethsacher 08-16-2015 08:25 AM

Needed to run PT as an administrator.........

It's working now though! Thanks for your help.

SpinningDisk 08-16-2015 08:25 AM

[emoji106]

sethsacher 08-16-2015 08:38 AM

Well that was short lived - I ended up rebooting PT another time and seeing the same issue again. Didn't change any ASIO4ALL settings to my knowledge, still running as admin.

How can I import a past project in a new session if:
1) I can't open a past project and
2) Can't create a new project

Amack 08-18-2015 07:20 PM

See http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368422

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsacher (Post 2285070)
Well that was short lived - I ended up rebooting PT another time and seeing the same issue again. Didn't change any ASIO4ALL settings to my knowledge, still running as admin.

How can I import a past project in a new session if:
1) I can't open a past project and
2) Can't create a new project