Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-02-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Pro Tools I/O Problems & Workaround

Important June 14, 2015 Update: I just learned about a feature available in PT that can greatly simplify this process. Details are provided at http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2268770&postcount=26

August 13, 2015 Update - The simplified process doesn't work on my son's PT12.1 - Dell Windows 8.1 laptop. This "old" procedure does however. http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2284049&postcount=3 has a link to an excellent video showing how to setup ASIO4ALL for use as a Pro Tools "Playback Engine". http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=370379 explains how to set the PT's (and ASIO4ALL's) buffer size(s) to avoid sound dropouts during playback.

Pro Tools’ inability to work properly with Windows (ASIO) audio interfaces has been well documented on the DUC (i.e. http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2264208&postcount=67 as well as many others). Although that thread was about “third party” interfaces, AVID’s own interfaces (at least it’s Fast Track Duo and Eleven Rack) have similar problems. My experience that other DAWs don’t exhibit these types of problems (except with AVID devices) strongly suggest that it’s a problem with Pro Tools, not the devices themselves.

Here’s the workaround that I developed to help mitigate some of these problems (when changing sample rates and interfaces) and help ensure that Pro Tools 12 starts/re-starts reliably. (Many of the reported startup issues currently being reported by PT 12 users are likely caused by this bug).

This post doesn’t address the problems associated with changing buffer sizes - that’s for a future post (if there’s sufficient interest shown in this one).

1. Before starting Pro Tools
2. Go to http://www.asio4all.com/
3. Download and install the latest version of ASIO4ALL (its Instruction Manual will appear in your “OS(C:) Program Files (X86), ASIOALL v2” folder) in case you ever need them (likely not now)
4. Turn off or unplug your audio interface (“Playback Engine”)
5. Start Pro Tools
6. Create a new session at whatever sample rate you want to use with your audio interface
7. Close Pro Tools
8. Turn on or re-connect you audio interface
9. Use your audio interface’s control panel to set it’s sample rate to whatever you selected in that Pro Tools session
10. Restart Pro Tools and open the session that you created with ASIO4ALL
11. Pro Tools will remember that you last used ASIO4ALL at that sample rate, so you’ll need to change it via “Playback Engine” in the “Setup” dropdown menu
12. You should be good to go with your audio interface until you need to change sample rates or interfaces (or PT decides to screw things up for you.) I’ve seen PT change interface sample rates while just closing and re-opening a session. I’ve also seen it think my third party devices were “Avid Hardware” and “HD Hardware”. Regardless of the cause you’ll need to repeat steps 4 – 11. If PT screwed it up, you should probably restart your computer first.
13. Note that ASIO4ALL (with your computer’s own non-HDMI audio device) will likely satisfy all of your non-recording needs and, unlike PT12’s new “Windows Audio Device” (and likely any other) “Playback Engine”, PT seems to be able to change its sample rate directly and correctly.
14. Good luck and please let me know how this works for you!

Last edited by Amack; 08-21-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Restore original post's background information
Old 06-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Avid should make this a "Workaround Fix" for all PT versions. I tried it in PT 11.3.1 and it didn't work.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 PM

I don't understand what you've said. Could you please elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpawley View Post
Avid should make this a "Workaround Fix" for all PT versions. I tried it in PT 11.3.1 and it didn't work.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM

PT 11 and down will not recognize a Windows Audio driver. It would be nice if Avid made it so PT will allow the use of the computer sound card for playback.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 AM

That's why you need ASIO4ALL (which makes the computer sound card look a standard PT ASIO interface). AVID did add a Windows audio driver to PT 12 ("Windows Audio Device"), but PT can't set its sample rate either. That needs to be done thru Windows before starting PT. By the way, you should know that modern “sound cards” in decent Windows computers are actually quite good. See http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2257813&postcount=9.

It appears that AVID's new Windows driver is somehow causing PT12 to have even more problems with I/O Interfaces than previous versions. It would probably be a good idea for them to provide the option of disabling or uninstalling it. They should also do that with the “ASIO Avid Driver” (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2261858&postcount=77) that PT sometimes tries to use when it gets confused.

But, that reminds me, it likely isn't a good idea to use sample rates higher than what your computer's internal audio device ("sound card") supports. If you do, and PT gets confused or forgets what your interface is (which does happen), you may well have to uninstall and Re-install Pro Tools to recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpawley View Post
PT 11 and down will not recognize a Windows Audio driver. It would be nice if Avid made it so PT will allow the use of the computer sound card for playback.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM

ASIO drivers work with Pro Tools 9 and up. ASIO4ALL is an ASIO driver, so already you're contradicting your claim. Linking to your own submission as though it is proof of anything is silly. That's not well-documented, that's using yourself as a reference. You're likely having issues with windows itself, as no one else seems to have trouble getting Pro Tools to recognize the same model interface you have.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Sorry I confused you again!

I thought that my workaround would have shown that ASIO4ALL seems to be one of the few (only?) ASIO drivers (driver) that PT works properly with. It’s good to have one – and its free!

People that never change interfaces, sample rates, buffer sizes, "upgrade" to PT12, or are fortunate enough to have an interface that doesn't confuse PT may not realize that! Those that do realize it seem to be convinced that it’s not a PT problem, even though other DAWs don’t share those problems! That’s why I provided the link to a post with an attachment that shows how Ableton works with ASIO devices. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that everyone would see that it was the 67th (and my only) post to that thread. (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=360228).

Nice to have you back! Where’s Darryl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
ASIO drivers work with Pro Tools 9 and up. ASIO4ALL is an ASIO driver, so already you're contradicting your claim. Linking to your own submission as though it is proof of anything is silly. That's not well-documented, that's using yourself as a reference. You're likely having issues with windows itself, as no one else seems to have trouble getting Pro Tools to recognize the same model interface you have.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:52 AM

I'm not confused, Amack. The confusion is entirely on your end - you seem to think your issue is a universal one, when it isn't.

I'm not sure what you're assuming with the quip about "People that never change interfaces, sample rates, buffer sizes, 'upgrade' to PT12, or are fortunate enough to have an interface that doesn't confuse PT may not realize that!"... I use multiple interfaces, I do change buffer sizes and sample rates, and I'm currently using both PT11 and PT12.

Have you followed my advice about setting the Windows default playback device to your internal sound card, and then setting the buffer latency to 1.0 ms in the Focusrite control panel?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:30 PM

I've been able to get all of my interfaces to work with PT (including both the released and Beta version for my Focusrite 6i6). In the process of doing so I developed the workaround procedure for future reference and use by my son. I thought others might find them useful as well - if not now perhaps sometime in the near future. I've attempted to address your other concerns and questions in red below.

To bad one of these problems (startup) didn't get patched for Windows in PT12 like it apparently did for Macs (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2265276&postcount=23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I'm not confused, Amack. The confusion is entirely on your end - you seem to think your issue is a universal one, when it isn't. The linked thread suggests otherwise!

I'm not sure what you're assuming with the quip about "People that never change interfaces, sample rates, buffer sizes, 'upgrade' to PT12, or are fortunate enough to have an interface that doesn't confuse PT may not realize that!"... I use multiple interfaces, I do change buffer sizes and sample rates, and I'm currently using both PT11 and PT12. I don't doubt that you (and others) have developed numerous workarounds to facilitate that (as demonstrated in the linked thread). I was trying to provide one that is simple, failsafe, universally applicable, and readily available for use by others!

Have you followed my advice about setting the Windows default playback device to your internal sound card yes, and then setting the buffer latency to 1.0 ms in the Focusrite control panel? Which version - released or Beta?

Last edited by Amack; 06-03-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Add link about Mac fix
Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Sigh. Again, linking to your own post doesn't mean anything.

Have you or have you not set your buffer latency to 1 ms in the focusrite control panel (whichever version you have installed)?