Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338894)

AREED 06-23-2013 05:17 PM

Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

They really should think about selling us an update driver or something to keep our older control surfaces working.
Is there any reason that can not be done? What is the technical reason they do not work anymore?
That could generate a lot of income for Avid. And we know they like that.
Avid, please do something.

Craig F 06-23-2013 05:29 PM

Digital is disposable
the old stuff has old chips that don't play well with new code

you want ever lasting, buy an 80 series Neve

A Chapman 06-23-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P,B,S (Post 2051812)
Trade in your old and still working Control 24 and $6000 for a new C24

Which will probably be EOLed in 18 months to two years

AREED 06-23-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 2052474)
Digital is disposable

Is that really a answer? I don't think so. What is so different from the c24?

Craig F 06-23-2013 08:41 PM

In this consumerism world, it is.
I have spent the last week trying to find parts for a 10 year old coffee maker for my parents RV (under cabinet mounting style) but no, they don't make it or have parts for it. We are talking a simple gravity feed system but can I get a heating element and a check valve? no
but I digress

So the choice is yours: sit tight and let the world move on with out you or drop you albatross and move along with the world

louieshowers 06-24-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 2052608)
In this consumerism world, it is.
I have spent the last week trying to find parts for a 10 year old coffee maker for my parents RV (under cabinet mounting style) but no, they don't make it or have parts for it. We are talking a simple gravity feed system but can I get a heating element and a check valve? no
but I digress

So the choice is yours: sit tight and let the world move on with out you or drop you albatross and move along with the world

This is offensive. Move along with the world? WHat planet are you referring to? The world of throwing away money? Imagine a Marshall amplifier from the 60's, 70's 80's, or 90's that simply stops working!? A good quality product will withstand the test of time! Your analogy of finding parts for a damn coffee maker is ridiculous! These units are not broken! They are simply not supported because Avid wants people to "move on with their checkbooks." Give me a break dude.

YYR123 06-24-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 2052474)
Digital is disposable

Hahahah

Show me one where I won't have to sell my soul to the devil to pay for it - :D

Pie Hole Sound 06-24-2013 11:13 AM

Count me as another unhappy with the news that the Control 24 does not work with 11. While I partially understand Avid's position of not supporting legacy devices forever, this feels like a purely financial decision (short-sighted at that - more below), not a software / coding / network-protocol one.

I don't spend a lot of time complaining about these things (this is the only post you'll see from me on this), however I vote with my dollars. The Control 24 was a significant investment and is the centerpiece of my control room. The fact that it is working perfectly only makes this worse. Going forward, I'll not purchase Avid control surfaces - I'm done.

If there were a $500 charge to make the Control 24 compatible with PT11 forward, I would pay it (call it a "Legacy Hardware Support Fee"). Ditching the controller for no stated technical reason is bad form. I'd love to hear from Avid if this is not the case, then I could buy the "not supporting legacy devices forever" argument. These things are integral, expensive, large, working pieces of hardware, not something easily tossed in the garbage can or deleted from the hard drive.

Southsidemusic 06-24-2013 11:21 AM

I have a nieghbour who is selling their Control 24 for 8000 SEK = 1188 USD and it is in Great shape every led works and no scratches or anything. Too bad it isn't gonna work otherwise we would be knockin' on his door right now.

Anyone from sweden wants to buy it PM me :-)

Chris

lillloyd 06-25-2013 02:44 AM

I guess I'd understand Avid's position a bit more if they weren't a hardware company. It seems myopic somehow to sell proprietary hardware technology in the $10K and up range, and then seemingly arbitrarily *decide* to EOL it, since it has the net effect of making an otherwise spendy customer base have potentially serious doubts about the wisdom of future hardware investments with Avid. It sometimes seems like other 3rd party companies (whose names will go unmentioned here lol) are more committed to keeping their hardware working with Pro Tools, than Avid themselves, which makes little sense IMHO.

If Avid's thought is that the existence of older Control 24s is somehow cutting into product sales of newer control surfaces, I have to believe that the advantage of forcing some former Control 24 owners back into the market for a controller will be largely offset by the fact that many owners may simply re-evaluate their need for a controller, their need to move off of PT10/HD, etc. The cumulative effect of decommissioning proprietary hardware before they technically *need* to be EOL'd is likely to be added doubt in the Avid customer base going forward. (Do I want to buy this Avid product, when I know they may pull the plug on support without an obvious technical reason?)

Someone brought up a car analogy before... I think a better comparison would be another company, Cisco Systems, that (like Avid) sells hardware and associated software, albeit in a different area of technology. Cisco (like Avid) routinely sells extremely expensive hardware (in the 5 and 6 figure range), and routinely EOLs that equipment as newer tech comes out. The crucial difference is that their hardware will continue to run (if unsupported) past its EOL date. Cisco's hardware is in most of the technology networks worldwide; it would be absurd and damaging for them to *arbitrarily* cut support for an EOL'd product--one that represented a huge investment by their customer base--when there was no technical reason/limitation to do so. Whatever they'd gain from their aggressive push to a new product line, they'd lose two or three times over, because both existing and potential new customers might begin to view the company as a fundamentally unreliable long-term investment for their hardware dollars.

I just wish Avid would have a stance that said: "We recognize that we are selling you Avid-only hardware that costs thousands--even tens of thousands--dollars, and in appreciation of your investment we are fully committing to supporting these products, as long as it is technically feasible. If there is *any* way to keep your hardware working with our newer software versions, we'll do it, because we recognize that if you are not 100% certain that we are doing everything we can to protect and maximize your investment, you may avoid making additional hardware purchases with Avid in the future. That said, at some point our technology may change so dramatically that it is literally impossible to maintain support of your current hardware...in which case we want you to feel comfortable coming *back* to Avid for your next hardware purchase, with the confidence that we will again support your investment as long as it is technically possible."

Just my $.02. Personally I think I'll sit tight with the Control 24 and HD on PT10 for a while and re-evaluate in a couple of years when the dust has settled on HDX, AAX DSP etc. (FWIW I would totally trade in a Control 24 for a C24, were it not for the lingering doubt that they might dump support for it at any time. "Fool me once...")