Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338894)

blackmacdaddy 07-22-2013 09:10 PM

Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

I'll pay to get Control|24 & ProControl profiles back!

AND I'll buy Pro Tools HD 11! :)

Tony Cariddi 07-23-2013 08:08 AM

Hi everyone,

We strive to support hardware and software products as long as possible. Control|24 enjoyed one of the longer technology lifespans, having been released over 12 years ago. This product is even older than Pro Tools|HD, Mbox, and 002, which are also unsupported with Pro Tools 11.

As with all technology products, there comes a time when a decision needs to be made to dedicate resources to maintain it or to invest in new innovations. For each Avid control surface there are individual personality files and they are complex—you can see this manifest itself in the deep control you get with Pro Tools. As Pro Tools 11 was re-written from the ground up with 64-bit code, all the personality documents for each controller needed to be re-written, which is a massive undertaking. We made efforts in advance of Pro Tools 11 to communicate with our customers the anticipated hardware compatibility, but at the end of the day the resources to support this legacy product were too high.

To answer the question about why we don't outsource the work to someone else or release it as open source code, this is not our business model and a strategic change like that would require a lot of resources that are focused on other projects. Additionally, for a developer to take in this work, they would require a great deal of documentation usually associated with an SKD (software development kit) for the controller, which is not available.

I hope this helps clarify our position.

Regards,
Tony

bcwiz 07-23-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi (Post 2065760)
Hi everyone,

We strive to support hardware and software products as long as possible. Control|24 enjoyed one of the longer technology lifespans, having been released over 12 years ago. This product is even older than Pro Tools|HD, Mbox, and 002, which are also unsupported with Pro Tools 11.

As with all technology products, there comes a time when a decision needs to be made to dedicate resources to maintain it or to invest in new innovations. For each Avid control surface there are individual personality files and they are complex—you can see this manifest itself in the deep control you get with Pro Tools. As Pro Tools 11 was re-written from the ground up with 64-bit code, all the personality documents for each controller needed to be re-written, which is a massive undertaking. We made efforts in advance of Pro Tools 11 to communicate with our customers the anticipated hardware compatibility, but at the end of the day the resources to support this legacy product were too high.

To answer the question about why we don't outsource the work to someone else or release it as open source code, this is not our business model and a strategic change like that would require a lot of resources that are focused on other projects. Additionally, for a developer to take in this work, they would require a great deal of documentation usually associated with an SKD (software development kit) for the controller, which is not available.

Regards,
Tony

The old Monty Python " I told you once" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Doesn't really answer what it costs to do it for those that are willing to pay. Also HUI was re written for 64 bit (the oldest of the lot)? Hmmm...

Brahamnesik 07-23-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,
Tony

Ok... At least you responded something, thanks for that.

BUT THE DIGI002 WORKS WITH PRO TOOLS 11!

Check this link:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...2-a-guide.html

Why comparing the Control 24 to Mbox and Pro Tools HD? It really sounds like you don't care about people who gave you a lot of money to buy your products. If not, then you would at least make Pro Tools HD compatible with PT11 using Core Audio drivers.

COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THE CONTROL SURFACE FUNCTIONS OF THE DIGI002 ARE WORKING WITH PT11?

Thanks.

lampmusic 07-23-2013 08:55 AM

As a control 24 owner since 2004, I find this very unfortunate.

At the risk of being redundant, it's difficult for me to understand how a control surface becomes obsolete. No audio passes through (unless you use monitor section and pres) Understand that the software evolves over time and new functions may not be supported but why doesn't original functionality still work.

Final thoughts: I have been fortunate enough to have done enough work to justify my original cost for the unit. I'm thinking it might be time to find a new home for it (which I'm certain the value will drop like a rock)

Looking forward, I have been using an original euphonix mc mix, which has been moderately glitchy.

I have just installed PTHD11 - but I will take a long hard look before I'll ever invest over a few grand on a PT control surface - - sorry avid.

As far as I can tell Avid has come to the conclusion that they will make more $ off of software in the long run - who knows . . .LOL

sorry for rambling, just wanted to share my .02

peace

jtarbutn 07-23-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,
Tony

In other words, 'screw us', the many loyal customers and Pro Control & Control 24 owners. I can't justify spending any more money with a company that would leave us stranded like this.

Kenny Gioia 07-23-2013 09:17 AM

I just want to extend my apologies if I gave anyone any false hope here. Many people fought hard behind the scenes for this situation to be reversed (which is why it took so long to get an answer) but in the end, none of us had to do the work or pay the cost involved.

Sorry.

iMartin 07-23-2013 09:35 AM

Sorry but who is Tony? Programmer? Sales rep? Board member? I have no clue...maybe someone else knows. But it sounds like just delivering the message from above and I don't wanna shot the messenger. But this is [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]!

Drew Mazurek 07-23-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMartin (Post 2065813)
Sorry but who is Tony? Programmer? Sales rep? Board member? I have no clue...maybe someone else knows. But it sounds like just delivering the message from above and I don't wanna shot the messenger. But this is [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]!

His title is in his post.

crizdee 07-23-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMartin (Post 2065813)
Sorry but who is Tony?

Hi,

As it says in his post signature "Audio marketing director"

Chris