Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338894)

scotsman 07-01-2013 10:06 AM

Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

It is the size of the investment that sticks in my throat, a few FireWire drives or even a DSP card are fractions of what Pro Control and Control 24 owners have invested. Even more when you take into account the custom furniture to make the desk look right.

The more I think about this the angrier I get, your most important £ customers and you just drop them, shame on you....

What will they drop next?
Icon users watch out!!

Stukface 07-01-2013 10:54 AM

Also add in the time to redo the studio if you have all your gear racked up in one of those custom desks. That time adds up to money lost.

Once again im calling out Louis Hernandez, Jr.
President, Chief Executive Officer, Avid Board Member

Any response sir?

groundcontrol 07-01-2013 01:05 PM

Unless they're coming up with some exciting and nicely priced new controller products, with Steinberg aggressively pushing Nuage and the new version of Nuendo, I'd think now is not exactly the best of times to piss-off a bunch of customers and send them shopping for a new controller.

Stukface 07-01-2013 10:13 PM

Looked up the Nuage system, I hadn't heard of it before. It looks pretty nice, I'm just not sure the software is as good as Protools. I could be wrong.

Still no response from Avid.

RCN 07-01-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMartin (Post 2056618)
Well we have the control 24 in our studio1 with the HD3 system and we built a custom studiodesk fitting it nicely with preamps, I/O etc on the sides. It would be difficult to have the control24 useless sitting in that desk.

Same here!!!! Big Big mistake Avid... I know you would just like for all of this to go away and move to the future, but big big mistake...

My 24 is the heart of my studio, love this thing...

Pie Hole Sound 07-02-2013 09:18 AM

Hey Avid, since it appears you could use a illustrative lesson in empathy for some of your high-dollar customers (Control 24 owners), here is an exercise for you:

Do a Google image search for "Control 24" and take a look at the resultant image stream. Just take a look at how many Control 24's are built-in to the studios where they are, and think about, no, really think about being in their shoes when they have been told that they are going to have to replace the centerpiece of their control room because, well..... a good reason has not been stated yet.

When I first chimed in on this I was annoyed and in disbelief. Now, after a week of silence in response to this thread, I'm just mad. I initially though I was on an island in this situation but this thread has shown me that I'm not - by a long-shot.

Avid, your silence on this issue is deafening, and telling. An update in the PT 11 compatibility document (moving the Control 24 from "not supported" to the "will not work" section) is not going to be the last word on this, is it?

As long-time Pro Tools advocates and obvious high-dollar customers, show Control 24 owners the respect we are due and let us know WTF is going on here - soon. Thank you.

Stukface 07-02-2013 09:41 AM

You are far from alone here. This effects many Control 24 and Pro Control users.

What I don't think Avid really understands is there is no real advantage for a Control 24 user to spend the money to upgrade to a C24. There are so few differences between the units that it would have no impact on me, my work flow, or to any of my clients. So it's basically like paying an extra 6k on top of the HDX and Protools 11 upgrade. That I can't justify!

Not to mention the C24 is already 5+ years old.

Write a driver for the Control 24 and Procontrol Avid.

With the number of people posting saying they can't upgrade because of a driver you are losing more money then it would cost to pay a person to write them and test them.

10 people X7k-10k in upgrades for HDx/PT 11 is a lot more then it costs to pay a person to write the drivers.

michael c 07-02-2013 09:53 AM

I know ProControl has been out for many years, but it was Digi's flagship controller and a LOT of pro studios and post houses still use them. Since ProControl just hooks up via ehternet, I would be curious why this won't work with PT HD11 software.

Thanks!

marianna 07-02-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie Hole Sound (Post 2057679)

Avid, your silence on this issue is deafening, and telling. An update in the PT 11 compatibility document (moving the Control 24 from "not supported" to the "will not work" section) is not going to be the last word on this, is it?

As long-time Pro Tools advocates and obvious high-dollar customers, show Control 24 owners the respect we are due and let us know WTF is going on here - soon. Thank you.

Pie Hole....

We have answered this many of times..... and had even been publicly posted on the Avid knowledge base the in the End of Sale Date Article a long time ago - 2007 to be exact.

End of Support – Dates
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/f...-support-dates

Final sale & End of support / End of service/ End of life dates for Avid products

Category Product / Model Final Sale Date End of Support
Audio Solutions Control|24 12/31/2007 12/31/2012

I know some of you don't like the fact that the product has EOL but we communicated this back in 2007 and a tons of times since.

Marianna

Stukface 07-02-2013 12:51 PM

Not the answer anyone was looking for.

So in short pay us an extra 6k to trade in for a 5 year old C24 or don't move forward with HDX and PT 11.

Good going Avid, looks like I will not be moving forward then, and when I get to a point where the technology is way beyond my PT 10HD system, I will spend the time to try out other solutions as I am no longer going to put my money into your products.