Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 AM

Default Bounce Selection Help PT 10.3.4 OSX 10.8.2

I have a 150 min session that I recorded the other night. Now I need to take individual songs and begin synching them with the video outside of PT10 so I highlighted a section of a few of the tracks in the Edit Window. I know this part worked because I can "Edit-Selection-Play Edit" and it will play just that highlighted selection back.

Problem is that when I "File Bounce to Disk", PT10 wants to bounce the entire 150 minutes instead of the 2 min song I selected.

I am on a MBPro Retina OSX 10.8.2
Pro Tools 10.3.4

A&H R16 Firewire

This has been horribly frustrating ... spent 8 hours last night trying to figure it out. I uninstalled PT 10.3.2 and upgraded to 10.3.4, re-installed the AH Firewire controller ... opened a different session and was briefly able to bounce a selection and then tried it again and it wouldn't work again and I have not been able to make it bounce a selection again.

I have tried creating a blank session with only 2 tracks ... recording 2 short pieces of audio and then trying to select and bounce a selection ... same thing. It's all or nothing ... PT10 wants to bounce the entire length of the recorded track and not just my selection.

In my I/O Setup, I tried checking the box "Sessions overwrite current I/O Setup when opened" and then I "File-Open Session-Session File Backups" and I opened a backup from the end of my recording several nights ago so I feel that it definitely picked up the I/O settings I had used. Then I tried selecting a portion of audio and bouncing it to disk ... same thing. PT10 wants to bounce over an hour of audio when I have selected 2 minutes.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Bounce Selection Help PT 10.3.4 OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Bert View Post
I have a 150 min session that I recorded the other night. Now I need to take individual songs and begin synching them with the video outside of PT10 so I highlighted a section of a few of the tracks in the Edit Window. I know this part worked because I can "Edit-Selection-Play Edit" and it will play just that highlighted selection back.

Problem is that when I "File Bounce to Disk", PT10 wants to bounce the entire 150 minutes instead of the 2 min song I selected.

I am on a MBPro Retina OSX 10.8.2
Pro Tools 10.3.4

A&H R16 Firewire

This has been horribly frustrating ... spent 8 hours last night trying to figure it out. I uninstalled PT 10.3.2 and upgraded to 10.3.4, re-installed the AH Firewire controller ... opened a different session and was briefly able to bounce a selection and then tried it again and it wouldn't work again and I have not been able to make it bounce a selection again.

I have tried creating a blank session with only 2 tracks ... recording 2 short pieces of audio and then trying to select and bounce a selection ... same thing. It's all or nothing ... PT10 wants to bounce the entire length of the recorded track and not just my selection.

In my I/O Setup, I tried checking the box "Sessions overwrite current I/O Setup when opened" and then I "File-Open Session-Session File Backups" and I opened a backup from the end of my recording several nights ago so I feel that it definitely picked up the I/O settings I had used. Then I tried selecting a portion of audio and bouncing it to disk ... same thing. PT10 wants to bounce over an hour of audio when I have selected 2 minutes.
Hi,

You need to make the selection in the timeline ruler? not just the tracks alone. so the whole area is hi-lighted including the timeline ruler.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 AM

OK - tried that ... same thing. I highlight a 1 minute selection on the main ruler and the bounce begins with 150 minutes remaining.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM

Are your Timeline and Edit Selection linked?

pg 565 PT ref guide.

kasper
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Thanks Kasper ... worked!!!!!

Oh my .. sorry for being such an amateur but I am trying.

I learned two things ...

1. That the timeline and edit selection need to be linked in order to bounce a selection.

2. That there is a Pro Tools 10 Reference Manual

Best news is that I did not destroy my master while trying to figure this out!!!

All good now. Thanks again. Heart rate back to normal.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM

Cool

You might also investigate bouncing to a track in your session, instead of using bounce to disk.
You can punch in, even destructively, and not have to redo an entire long pass. Most people find it better than BTD for many reasons.

Search the DUC, but basically, just bus your tracks/subs to an aux, then to a new record track, or straight to a record track.
Advantage of going to an aux - you can insert plug-ins that will be burned with your mix.

Do mind the pitfalls of delay comp when using aux tracks.

kasper
Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Thank you again, this post saved me a few hours of aggravation. There's always a "checkbox" somewhere!