Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-05-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Defraging audio drive causes crash

While attempting and reattempting the first defrag on my audio drive, my system restarts. I have tried "scandisk" and the utility floppy that came with the hard drive. Both found no errors and didn't change my luck any. Anyone know what to do next?

Win XP Pro
AMD Athalon 1700
Asus A7V333
System Drive: Maxor 20GB
Audio Drive: Western Digital 60GB
Old 03-05-2003, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Defraging audio drive causes crash

are you using the Windows defragger or another one like Norton? I find Norton is more stable, and faster, because it automatically disables all programs that may be running in the background.
Check it out. You may just have some sort of app running that is conflicting and causing the shutdown.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:12 AM

Which Norton's product is the defrag included? Is it System Works.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:25 AM

Yes it is System Works. Speed disk works much better than the windows one. BE CAREFUL anything else on system worke except the antivirus.

When you install the antivirus you have to disable everthing except scan incoming email because autoprotect will check your protools files while you work.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:57 AM

Dodo is exactly correct - the systemworks has a great defragger, but the anti-virus is a huge PITA.
i would give it a try. If you cant at the time, try cont/alt/delete and disable all apps that are running in the background, close alllll programs, and the windows one should work fine. It gets really confused when there are programs running.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:06 AM

When CTRL/ALT/DEL'ing in win 98 we had to keep "Explorer" and "Systray" open in order to keep the computer running. What needs to be left alone inorder to keep Win XP running? Also what about the "processes" side (tab) of that window? What processes should I leave alone?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:30 AM

System Works allows you to selective install the apps so you can install only what you need and leave the Virus out.
You shouldn't try to disable things to run a defrag since you are creating an unstable system if you disable the wrong thing.
If you use WinXP built in defrag understand you need to run it twice in order for it to effectively disable unnecssary programs depending on what's active.
Regardless, unless you inadvertantly disabled something prior to trying to run a defrag there is no reason for it to crash.
Can you offer more info on what went on?
Old 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM

SKI, lets say I disabled something a while ago not knowing what I was doing (I think I did a week ago when I was exploring). XP would restart the process on the next reboot right?

I wish I could offer more of a description but what i wrote earlier sums it up. Click on D Drive in the WIN Defrag window, click on analyze or defrag (it doesn't matter which), watch screen turn black and computer restart. I'm stuck. There are no other programs (like MS IM) running in the background.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:12 PM

Before you do anything else get your XP installation disk and boot from it like you are going to do an install but instead do a repair.
Read the screen carefully since hitting enter actually aborts certain screens.
Let it do an automatic repair, it will ask if you have a recovery disk but say no, it won't matter since Windows is functional.
This should restore your basic XP functions to what they should be.
Then you can start to look at the actual audio drives functionality.