Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2002, 06:58 AM

Default GETTING RID OF POPPING OR CRACKING NOISE

is there a simple way of doing this on Protools LE?
Old 07-21-2002, 10:08 AM

Default Re: GETTING RID OF POPPING OR CRACKING NOISE

Are you talking one or two in a track or a track full of them?
You can edit them with the pencil tool, or delete them if they are during transient parts ina track with no audio. If your track(s) are laden with them, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:20 PM

Yeah, I've been geting them, too. A lot more than I would like to pencil out I'll try replacing all cables that hook up to my guitar preamp next and see if that helps.

Anyone else been down his road? Care to lend some experience?

Thanks,
EjA
Old 07-22-2002, 09:22 PM

Yep. A common problem. I've tried a number of things, from trashing the relevant system preferences to rebooting to removing plugins to kicking my dual-800 to going in with the pencil to replacing sections that have cracks/pops to boosting the RAM allocation to defragmenting my hard drive.

Defragmenting the hard drive sometimes helps, as does trashing the relevant preferences (do a DUC search to see which ones to remove). If the cracks/pops are at the beginning or ending of a region, you'll need to zoom in and cut at a "zero point" or use the "fade in/fade out" feature, and that'll get rid of the crack/pop.

Hope this helps. I've been there. And am still there from time to time....
Old 07-22-2002, 09:35 PM

Question for you guys:

Do any of you have OTHER digital gear attached to your 001 via SPDIF or ADAT?

Have you made sure that the software reflects your proper clocking?

I only ask because the only times I have ever gotten pops or clicks in Pro Tools was when the clocking and / or samplerate was set incorrectly.

I use an Apogee Rosetta A/D as my masterclock and slave the Digi to that via SPDIF.

Another thing for you guys to check is your power supply. If you have fluctuations in voltage, this can cause funky things (like pops or clicks). I highly recommend picking up a UPS of some sort. Make sure you get the kind that has automatic voltage regulation and not just surge protection.

These are just shots in the dark....I am sure the Digi Tech guys can provide better insight.

Best of luck guys.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:36 PM

raising your latency can help too.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:02 AM

I've got a nice UPS, and haven't found myself needing to use SPDIF or ADAT, or anything having to do with clocking.

My experience is that it sometimes might be related to a fragmented hard drive. Or messed up system preferences.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:24 AM

I used to get a few cracles or spikes on audio tracks, for no particular obvious reason. I finally decided that disc fragmantation could be the problem, as my Glyph drive ,and ATTO scsi card were showing rather too much fragmentation. Previously I had an Adaptec 2940 card,on the G3, but this wouldn't work on the G4.
I contacted ATTO, and they suggested reformatting the Glyph with ATTO , which I did, and problem does seem to have gone away - much less fragmentation too
003 & Midas Venice desk
Mindprint DTC
Soundelux U99
Drawmer M-Clock