Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Default oo2r and Lynx Aurora 16

For about $4500 total you can have top quality converters and still use your 002r and protools interface, supplemented by your favorite other daw that wilk interface nicely with both Lynx Aurora 16 and 002r, and have 16 in and 16 out, simultaneously. If you have to use protools to edit, just import the wav files to a session you've recorded on using your other software (reaper, LogicPro8, sonar, cubase, etc.)and either the 002r interface or Lynx. This is what I will "convert" to soon. I've heard nothing but great things about the Aurora and you're not locked down to one DAW.
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks
Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Re: oo2r and Lynx Aurora 16

You can do the same thing with Apogee or other converters that use ADAT I/O. I use a Focusrite ISA-428 preamp with converter card option to give me eight more channels of A/D, and then I use an Apogee Rosetta 200 connected via S/PDIF for two more channels of A/D D/A conversion. So I can do 18 inputs and 10 outputs.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 AM

.....so I have a question for you. First, I presume that the Focusrite is an 8 channel preamp with 8 adat outs, so that you can record 10 digital channels simultaneously using the 002r and pro tools and 8 additional tracks but you have to use the 002r's 8 analog channels and the 002r's internal converters. Apogee 16x, Rosetta 800 or Rosetta 200 does not factor in to the equation at all if we are simply talking about recording in pro tools (unless you use them to as a substitute for the Focusrite). One is limited to the 002r interface and its track limitations. On the other hand, if you use any other DAW to record, most will recognize the Apogee and the 002r's inputs, but not both at the same time. That's why if one wants to record 16 digital channels simultaneously, he has to use another DAW to do it, and then import the wav files into pro tools if he wants to edit there. Yes?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM

The 002/003 has a totqal of 18 in and 18 out.

8 analog in
8 lightpipe in
2 sp/dif in

The Aurora while cool can only send 8 channels of lightpipe to the 002/003. It makes NO sense to buy a 16 channel converter when you really cannot use it properly. The Aurora 8 would be a better option, sonically the Rosetta 800 is even better. If you need that extra 2 channels, then the Rosetta 200 would work for the sp/dif and then clock it to one box (Rosetta 800 preferred)

Reason for not going with the 16 is that you would have 8 channels going to lightpipe then the other 8 going to the analog ins of the 002, re-convert for that thru the 002 and then into pro tools. Makes no sense....

Some sad limitations with the 002, but you can really make a great 18 channel i/o unit if you have the funds. I had a pretty elaborate setup at one time with my old system, Now on a HD system it is just SICK.

Best,

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 AM

We are saying the same thing, but I could have been clearer. You're right. If all you used was the 002r and pro tools to record, you are stuck with a max of 8 adat, 2 spdif, and 8 analog inputs, and buying a 16 channel converter is a waste of money (an 8 channel converter is all you need). You can improve your system with an Aurora 8, or Apogee Rosetta 800 but not by more that 8 channels. If you want to expand your system to 16 digital inputs (or 18 if you include spdif), you have to go outside pro tools and the 002r interface altogether, and use something like the Aurora 16 (coupled with the AES pcie card) or the Apogee Symphony or Ensemble setups, and you have to use a another DAW to record (Reaper, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, etc). All recognize and interact nicely with 002r, Aurora 16, Apogee 16X, etc. But Pro tools will interact nicely only with the 002r when recording. So my point is, if one is not willing to abandon the Pro Tools DAW altogether because either his familiarity with it or its unique capabilities, he can still install a 16 channel killer converter system and record in the alternate DAW, and import to pro tools to edit. That's what I plan to do.

My next question would be, will the Digitranslator optional program feature convert these sessions to pro tools session formats so that importing is not required? I heard there was a new program out that promises to do this and it is not by digidesign.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM

getting a high-end 16 channel converter IS still worth the extra effort if you plan to record more than 10 digital inputs simultaneously. and the best part is: you can still stay inside the Protools software without having do all this file/session format converting. you can use either an Lynx Aurora16 or the Apogee AD16(x) along with the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, which accepts 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe up to 96k in Protools M-Powered (up to 32-channels @ 48k in other DAW software). They also just announced a new model, the Profire 2626. you should look into these as a backdoor means of piping in more digital channels than your 002/003 allows. if you've already spent the $3k on a 16-channel high-end converter, then another $600 is a drop in the bucket for the Profire Lightbridge and Protools M-Powered combo. this is the way i plan to pipe in large track counts for recording sessions.

for this, you dont need DigiTranslator.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM

From the M-Audio website:

* Pro Tools M-Powered currently supports a maximum of 18 simultaneous inputs and outputs.

That means you can record up to 16 inputs and have one stereo output...no separate cue mix. I would also worry about the quality of an adat device providing 16 channels at a price of only $400.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
That means you can record up to 16 inputs and have one stereo output...no separate cue mix. I would also worry about the quality of an adat device providing 16 channels at a price of only $400.
Nope.... with a cue mix, you can send out 16 channels if you really wanted to and had the headphone box to do it. Get a Furman 6 system and have 2 stereo outs and 4 mono outs. You use the 18 ins and then you have the outs that are used as CUE. Easy....

And yes, I understand about using other programs to record with, etc. Then use Pro Tools to mix. Very common, but what are you needing to record that takes more than 16 to 18 inputs?

Figure
1.kick
2. Snare Top
3. Snare Bottom
4. Tom 1
5. Tom 2
6. Tom 3
7. Hat
8. Ride
9. Overhead Hat
10. Overhead Ride
11. Room Left
12. Room Right
13. Scratch Guitar
14. Bass
15. Scratch Vocals (if needed)

So, what the heck are you recording that you need more? Heck I have a 56 in and 56 out HD setup and have never gone over 24 inputs (16 of those being drums) The rest of my i/o is a ton of analog gear that is hard wired to limit my patching. Patchless system is the way to roll.

So....?

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM

I don't like anyone telling me I'm limited to anything. With Reaper, etc. one can record as many tracks as he wants as long a your cpu can handle it. Would I ever need that power? Not really, but what if I needed to record an Orchestra...been asked to do it before. With Reaper and as many converters and preamps and microphone one can afford or commander for a large project, there would be no limits, practically. Why can't deigidesign just let go of its track limitations. There is no need for it to protect its TDM HD market anymore because everything is going native.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I don't like anyone telling me I'm limited to anything. With Reaper, etc. one can record as many tracks as he wants as long a your cpu can handle it. Would I ever need that power? Not really, but what if I needed to record an Orchestra...been asked to do it before. With Reaper and as many converters and preamps and microphone one can afford or commander for a large project, there would be no limits, practically. Why can't deigidesign just let go of its track limitations. There is no need for it to protect its TDM HD market anymore because everything is going native.
Of course you do not like that... You are a Lawyer.... ;-)

Now, again, if you are recording an orchestra it better be thru good converters and a good program, not a Mbox. Sorry Digi.

I understand your frustration and trust me, this is not the first time that people have brought this topic up. It is an ongoing battle and yes, Pro Tools is a industry standard to most large studios. The TDM/HD realm is a good thing and if and when everything goes native, maybe the HD thing will go away, I highly doubt it though. Even with high powered processors, the high powered plugs eat into the CPU. It will be a constant battle and that is why higher end studios go to the HD/core card thing to allow that processiong to take over on the cards.

I hear ya though man. I was a LE guy for 5+ years and now have gone to the HD realm. Lots of money into it too.

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook