Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Default The L word!!

Dear Digidesign

I Love PT, but there is one thing about Logic that Digidesign MUST rip off - Freeze Tracks. You could call it Track buddy or something.

Have it on my desk first thing Monday morning.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: The L word!!

Quote:
Dear Digidesign

I Love PT, but there is one thing about Logic that Digidesign MUST rip off - Freeze Tracks. You could call it Track buddy or something.

Have it on my desk first thing Monday morning.
And what happens to all the reverb tails? and what about external instruments? and what about the constant problems when pops and clicks associated with just about every freeze file i have received from Logic users.

There is one feature we MUST not rip off from Logic.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:

And what happens to all the reverb tails? and what about external instruments? and what about the constant problems when pops and clicks associated with just about every freeze file i have received from Logic users.

I import all my files from Logic to Pro Tools for ITB mixing some via freeze and some via bounce (for TDM tracks and external instruments/outboard etc). I have never come across any problems at all using 'frozen' files.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM

for one thing...In Logic 6 on a native system you had the option to freeze as 24 bit fixed or 32 bit float. logic7 is missing the option to freeze as 24bit on native systems. that could be the root of some problems with importing freeze files.

secondly, i'd much rather have the bounce in place that PT has now. bus to a new audio track, record and deactivate original track. if I want to edit the bounced track i don't have to un-freeze. if i want to change any plug in parameters, i can easily revert back to the original track.

If digidesign could make one improvement that would make a huge difference in workflow and performance, i'd like them to really nail down the spiking problems with the RTAS engine and how it deals with apple's weird thread handling. Most VI's are RTAS and suffer from these spiking problems. Reaktor 5 as a native RTAS blows big time because of this. The wrapped VST works better as RTAS than the Native version. Same with Dimension Pro and Chameleon.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 PM

Route your tracks to a bus dedicated bounce bus ...
Create a New track below ...
Press Record wait
Deactivate and hide old track
Program the Macro into Quickeys...
Viola!
Stir Well and repeat with Quickeys... and don't call me in the morning.
NEXT! .....
Just don't ask for Non realtime bouces into PT - can't be done with real time processors.
As soonas you introduce external hardware in Logica all your off-line bouces are gone.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 AM

Can this be done with Apple's Automator as well? I think it only works with Apple's applications but I wasn't sure.

15" Macbook Pro R 2.6 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
27" iMac 2.8 i7 Quad/16GB RAM/OS X 10.10.5
Studio One 3/Reason 8/Live 9/Logic Pro 9/Main Stage 3
Old 04-14-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Press Record wait
Viola!
NEXT! .....
That takes far too much time. In Logic, I click one button, hit the space bar, and it renders the track as fast as a hot knife going through butter. Seriously, if you don't think Freeze in Logic is a big deal, you either haven't tried it, or you're not doing much with VIs.

Also, Logic is not the only DAW software package that has this feature. Soon, PT will be one of the only applications that doesn't.

I wonder if PT ever will have off-line bouncing and freezing features. Digidesign could probably implement them in the native version of PT now, but I'm sure that they wouldn't want to give the native version of PT a big feature that isn't present in the much more expensive TDM version. That would be a bad marketing move.

While we're at it, PT still can't deal with interleaved files, or files of multiple bit depths without conversion. There's a lot to like about TDM, but in other respects, it's a bit of an antique and holding up progress.

Lee Blaske
Old 04-18-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Press Record wait
Viola!
NEXT! .....
We all know how to do that, but if you have to do that for loads of tracks in real time its a PITA. Surely, tech reasons aside, can anyone honestly say its not a great idea? I can and I dont even like Logic.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM

There must be a macro or something that is possible, even with TDM, to make the process more efficient than it is now.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:17 PM

How many times have we used any available compressor or eq because we cant be bothered to do the whole bussing/printing thing?

Of course if was a cynic I would say that Digidesign wouldn't sell many DSP cards If we could easily free up DSP with a 1 key press.

Hmmm where did I put my Bill Hicks cassette?