How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-05-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Pulling back from the bleeding edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I have a PT perpetual license and had purchased 2 years of support (at $100/yr) in the summer of 2018. My support ended at the end of 2020.

Yes, if I jump back on the support bandwagon I'll need to buy a new perpetual license at $600, which comes with one year of support to begin with. This means the cost of a bare new license is $400.
A bare new license in the case you talk about is $600. Don't know how you figure out the $400 if you used your two years of support/upgrades. Even if you did you're still out $600 for re-buying in to PT upgrades/support. That's if you can even get a new permanent non-Ultimate license anymore.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
A bare new license in the case you talk about is $600. Don't know how you figure out the $400 if you used your two years of support/upgrades. Even if you did you're still out $600 for re-buying in to PT upgrades/support. That's if you can even get a new permanent non-Ultimate license anymore.
No. As I mentioned, a new perpetual license is $600 and includes one year of support (worth $200). Thus, the bare cost of a new perpetual license is $400. Had I stayed with my (now expired) perpetual license it would cost be $200 a year to continue support. I'm not making this up. It's simple arithmetic. I'm already past that older situation. I am looking towards the future.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
A frozen system doesn't need to experience changes. I could be wrong. Do you have examples?
Yes, exactly.

I have frozen three systems because the hardware (dsp cards) is at the end of the line already. No upgrades/updates possible. That is just fine. To be more exact, MIX3 system is on PPC PowerMac G4, HD3 system is on PPC PowerMac G5, HD3|accel system is on Intel Mac Pro. All running latest possible OS compatible with the hardware.

But this native system I have at home I want/need to keep running latest and greatest so that I know about the possible quirks that may face me when I am not using the frozen systems. This system also is not purely for PT which means whatever update outside of PT may kick me in the butt if PT version was frozen.

I have probably installed every PT version since 6.0 (including a lot of beta releases) and while it may not always be the greatest idea to blindly update to the latest, I want to test it anyway.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
No. As I mentioned, a new perpetual license is $600 and includes one year of support (worth $200). Thus, the bare cost of a new perpetual license is $400. Had I stayed with my (now expired) perpetual license it would cost be $200 a year to continue support. I'm not making this up. It's simple arithmetic. I'm already past that older situation. I am looking towards the future.
Your math is wrong. The cost of a new license is $600. That it comes with a year of support doesn't enter into the cost. It's going to cost you $600 out of pocket. There is no such thing as 'bare cost'.

QAPLA!
Old 09-05-2021, 09:16 PM

I think the idea is to "abandon" the old license and keep using the last version available for seceral years. Then you could think that of the 600, first 200 is the mandatorysuppirt fee and thus license costs 400. It also means there is zero benefit in doing this if you need to upgrade more often than every four years (600+3*200 = 600+600)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, exactly.

I have frozen three systems because the hardware (dsp cards) is at the end of the line already. No upgrades/updates possible. That is just fine. To be more exact, MIX3 system is on PPC PowerMac G4, HD3 system is on PPC PowerMac G5, HD3|accel system is on Intel Mac Pro. All running latest possible OS compatible with the hardware.

But this native system I have at home I want/need to keep running latest and greatest so that I know about the possible quirks that may face me when I am not using the frozen systems. This system also is not purely for PT which means whatever update outside of PT may kick me in the butt if PT version was frozen.

I have probably installed every PT version since 6.0 (including a lot of beta releases) and while it may not always be the greatest idea to blindly update to the latest, I want to test it anyway.
Yeah, I froze once before my recent freeze, with a PPC G4 and froze at 7.x for PT, 8.x for Waves, 5.x for Altiverb, etc. This was when Apple dumped Motorola CPUs and went to Intel CPUs. I froze in in 2007, IIRC. I waited until PT was well established running natively on Intel Macs, and rejoined with PT 10.x. This was in 2012. I got my current i5 iMac then, which is the one I froze last December. I suspect it will at least another 2-3 years before I will unfreeze and update things again.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Your math is wrong. The cost of a new license is $600. That it comes with a year of support doesn't enter into the cost. It's going to cost you $600 out of pocket. There is no such thing as 'bare cost'.
I see it differently.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I see it differently.
You're not getting a license for $400 but $600.

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think the idea is to "abandon" the old license and keep using the last version available for seceral years. Then you could think that of the 600, first 200 is the mandatorysuppirt fee and thus license costs 400. It also means there is zero benefit in doing this if you need to upgrade more often than every four years (600+3*200 = 600+600)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The license is abandoned at the end of the last year of support. Three years is the break even point. I save $600 ($200 x 3) by abandoning the old perpetual license for three years. At four years (had I kept the old license and purchased support for each of those four years), I would have spent $800.

But who knows, perhaps at that time the price of a new perpetual license for PT Native/Vanilla will have gone up to $800 and annual support up to $250.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:25 PM

1st year, 600
2nd year, 200
3rd year, 200
4th year, 200
--> total 1200

1st year, 600
2nd year, skip support
3rd year, skip support
4th year, 600
--> total 1200

This means it costs equal money whether or not you want updates on 2nd and 3rd year or not. If you want small savings, you also need to skip 4th year and without any savings skipping on support is pointless in my book. So assuming someone wishes to update computer or operating system every three years (or god forbid more often than that), skipping on support is pointless.