Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 06-29-2020, 07:26 AM

Default Harmonic Foldback during bounce

When bouncing to a lower sample rate, does PT process with the higher sample rate or the lower rate that the file is going to? Is there there a setting I can change? Is this why I should print rather than bounce?

Thank You
Old 06-29-2020, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Harmonic Foldback during bounce

The sample rate conversion happens after it bounces at the session's native sample rate. If you watch the progress dialogs during bounce, you'll see a second progress bar for the SRC process after the bounce has rendered fully.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 AM

If I print and then convert the file to a lower sample rate, what rate would it process the conversion at? I am trying to eliminate Harmonic fold back or aliasing.

Thank You
Old 06-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mij sang View Post
If I print and then convert the file to a lower sample rate, what rate would it process the conversion at? I am trying to eliminate Harmonic fold back or aliasing.

Thank You
Huh? Pro Tools works internally at whatever the session sample rate is. "what rate would it process the conversion at" does not even make sense. A sample rate conversion has an input (session rate in this case) sample rate and an output sample rate, there is no other rate to process things at. (and whatever up conversion etc. plugins might do internally they will keep doing).

I am not following why you are asking this after being told the bounce happens at the current sample rate and is converted in a separate pass. Surely whatever harmonic issue you are trying to solve is going to be better processed at the (presumably) higher session sample rate then converted down... right? so why not just bounce if you want to get ouput... if you just want to work on a print... then do so... at the session rate.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-29-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:34 AM

I misunderstood the first answer I received. I responded too soon. I know that in Reaper there is a setting that you can check that allows you have your files bounced in the current sample rate or not. This is why I asked initially.