Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Default In which forum thread do I post my Pro-tools based question?

Hi All,
Just wondering where exactly I should post my question as it covers multiple topics and crosses hardware and software. Don't want to post in the wrong thread and annoy people unintentionally, and waste the post itself obviously!
Post / questions...

I have a 2010 iMac (Yosemite 10.9.5, 3.06 core 2 duo, 8GB Ram), a Digidesign 003 Factory, and running Pro-tools LE 8 (8.0.4) with one 3rd party plugin (EZ Drummer).
I'm aware that this setup is getting a little long in the tooth and, although it's still running perfectly fine, I would like some advice on the best / most cost-effective upgrade options available to me. I'm not looking to expand the setup any further, I'm just aware that if I go higher than Yosemite it's highly likely Pro-tools wont work properly anymore, from what I've read anyway!

Initial questions are;
Can I just upgrade straight to Pro-tools 12 and run it on the iMac and use the 003 with it?
If yes, can I also then open PT LE8 sessions on the new PT12?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
Cheers,
Phil
Old 03-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Default Re: In which forum thread do I post my Pro-tools based question?

I would recommend going down the "Pro Tools Software Mac" section

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-04-2018, 05:37 AM

Moved.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeplessoasis View Post
Hi All,
Just wondering where exactly I should post my question as it covers multiple topics and crosses hardware and software. Don't want to post in the wrong thread and annoy people unintentionally, and waste the post itself obviously!
Post / questions...

I have a 2010 iMac (Yosemite 10.9.5, 3.06 core 2 duo, 8GB Ram), a Digidesign 003 Factory, and running Pro-tools LE 8 (8.0.4) with one 3rd party plugin (EZ Drummer).
I'm aware that this setup is getting a little long in the tooth and, although it's still running perfectly fine, I would like some advice on the best / most cost-effective upgrade options available to me. I'm not looking to expand the setup any further, I'm just aware that if I go higher than Yosemite it's highly likely Pro-tools wont work properly anymore, from what I've read anyway!

Initial questions are;
Can I just upgrade straight to Pro-tools 12 and run it on the iMac and use the 003 with it?
If yes, can I also then open PT LE8 sessions on the new PT12?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
Cheers,
Phil
Ciao Phil
i wouldn't reccomend to upgrade to PT 12 because it's a different beast for your imac, first you need tu up the ram to 16g minimum, obviously you should upgrade the mac os x, i had ez drummer 2 and couldn't upgrade to 3 (aax) but you had to pay for the new one (maybe now it's changed) and then your 003 could suffer for error -6101, i own a 003 with macbook pro and sometimes during recording stops with that error (wi-fi off and bluetooth off and all the things set right)
If you want pt 12 (that i reccomend ) you need a different mac and maybe a new audio interface
nik
Old 03-05-2018, 04:30 AM

Hi Nik,
Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately if I upgrade to PT12, change my iMac and get a new audio interface I think that would result in the least cost-effective option! lol I'll keep thinking about it and see what other options might be suitable.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 03-05-2018, 04:32 AM

Thanks!