Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Midi Keyboard Controller Split

Is there a way to manipulate an instrument track in protools 10 or 11 so that the instrument plug-in on that track only plays for a specific part of a midi controller?

I know that I can layer instrument tracks by routing them through a midi track and I know that some plug-ins allow for you to control a split. However, I want a method of doing this that is not dependent on the plug-ins I use and is not dependent on the midi controller. I want to layer instrument plug-ins in protools and control what part of the keyboard controller they effect all through the software.

I need this so I can have multiple layer's (effectively patches) set-up so I can switch between them seamlessly while playing out live. Any solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Midi Keyboard Controller Split

Can't do what you want (key splits) in MIDI or Instrument tracks. Has to be done in the vi itself. For that matter I've never had luck with multiple vi's in a single PT track without using something like Blue Cat Patchwork.

QAPLA!