Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Default PT lags after 9073 error

Hey all,

I searched some of the other related threads for the 9073 error, and didn't find anything that quite pertained to the issue I ran into. Short version:

Was multitracking a band, and was just letting PT run right through. I will come right out and say that no, I was not recording to an external drive, and I understand that's where I messed up. 40 minutes into a 2-hour set, I got the lovely 9073 message. Few attempts later, still getting the 9073.

However, after the initial 9073 error, I found that any other command I tried to execute took a LONG time to even register with the system. As in, master record arming, trying to access any of the toolbars, windows, etc. I would try a command, I would see the beach ball, and about five minutes later PT (or my system?) would respond. This occurred even after a restart and full shut down. I understand that the 9073 error would arise from insufficient hard drive, but I'm not understanding why Pro Tools all of a sudden was dragging arse.

Computer specs:
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 15"
2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
250GB HD
OSX 10.7.4
Pro Tools 10.0.0

Inside PT, buffer size set to 1024 samples, buffer level 2. 2 cores, 90% processor usage.

Hardware:
2x Profire2626 (linked via ADAT1)

I updated Pro Tools, but don't currently have any gigs lined up, so I won't be able to see if I can let it run for another hour tracking 10 lines. Anybody know if this was simply a 10.2 fix, or something a bit deeper? Thanks.

MGA
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Re: PT lags after 9073 error

If you were recording to the system drive it's possible you filled it up to the point that the OS didn't have enough room to do it's page file thing or whatever else it does with the system drive. The reason why using your system drive is not supported is because the OS needs to reference & write to the OS drive pretty regularly while the computer is running, no matter what app you might be using. This activity can (and usually does) interfere with the Write/Read that Pro Tools is doing, causing PT to throw up errors should the OS and PT ever need to use the drive at the same time, and if you don't leave enough free space for the OS then it gets really dangerous and you run the risk of it overwriting some of it's own files and really mucking up your computer. Thus even once the computer was restarted the drive may have been too full for the OS to do what it needs to do with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Not unusual behavior for recording to the internal drive.

So you know how to buy an external audio spec drive right? At least 7200rpm or SSD (I would still go with a spinning audio drive, SSD for system), likely Firewire800 (not USB 2) and if so then Oxford chipset, not a "green" drive, esp. not a WDC Caviar Green. Look for drives from Glyph, G-Tech or OWC that are described as suitable/qualified for Pro Tools.

If you have not bothered with the basics like a proper drive setup you may also not have bothered with the other basics like optimizing your system for Pro Tools. Things like disabling WiFi and Bluetooth, disabling spotlight etc. Spotlight indexing can reach down Pro Tools' throat and rip its beating heart out, causing exactly the behavior you have seen, especially if you are recording to the system drive or an under spec drive.

Darryl
Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 PM

I did indeed optimize the system, and kept double-checking after the restart and shut down. Like I said, I know that the bulk of the issue was my own ignorance in not retrieving my hard drive when packing up. However, I find a bit of comfort in knowing that the system itself just didn't have enough room left to do its thing. I've already gone and removed over 30GB of needless crap.

Now while we're on the subject, Darryl, you suggested a Firewire drive. I picked up an OWC with eSATA, and I route that straight to an ExpressCard/34 adaptor. Seeing as how Apple discontinued that particular bus, is this still recommended?

AV
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Genius Audio View Post
I did indeed optimize the system, and kept double-checking after the restart and shut down. Like I said, I know that the bulk of the issue was my own ignorance in not retrieving my hard drive when packing up. However, I find a bit of comfort in knowing that the system itself just didn't have enough room left to do its thing. I've already gone and removed over 30GB of needless crap.

Now while we're on the subject, Darryl, you suggested a Firewire drive. I picked up an OWC with eSATA, and I route that straight to an ExpressCard/34 adaptor. Seeing as how Apple discontinued that particular bus, is this still recommended?

AV
An ExpressCard/eSATA OWC drive should be fine. Just use that for audio/session files.

Darryl