Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Does Avid know what people think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_9 View Post
I really cannot find any useful information in their open letters, blogs, interviews, etc. They are very informative of what they CANNOT inform, nothing else really.
Do you know any company who gives you proper future information about their moves?
I don't.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 AM

I don't think anyone expects a 10 year plan to be announced but I think this
is different, because there are real issues. It's not like everything is perfect, and no-one really needs to know what's coming in the future, because they do.

Things are going to change one day, and I don't want to spend money on equipment I might not have needed, or just sit waiting without a clue about what's going on.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Do you know any company who gives you proper future information about their moves?
I don't.
Ok, agreed, companies just dont divulge sensitive information such as future developments, but I am sure you will agree that certain updates and improvements are implied and expected. We can all expect improvement in certain areas such as software enhancements, processor speeds, faster and bigger Vid cards, etc., but really, Avid has been lagging behind many requests and fixes for the longest time, and unfortunately nothing is implied or expected.

What Im trying to say is you can expect a 004 for instance, you just do not know if it will be worth the wait, and if all the customer requests will be addressed. I understand that ALL of them cannot be addressed, but at least the no-brainers.....

One example is Intel for instance, (just an example) I knew that there would be 6 and 8 core i7's rolling out, but I decided to purchase my 4 core, and Im happy. These developments are implied and expected, and if we cannot expect or believe that our needs and requests will be met, how can we make wise purchasing decisions? How can we be expected to stick around and just wait for them to throw a bone?

Avid will not and should not begin divulging their development plans, but if they begin consistently serving up the tools we need and want, then we can "expect" greater things from them in the future and stick around, which is what we want to do. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
For example,
Intel releases their strategy,
Microsoft tells what is coming!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
one example is intel for instance, (just an example) i knew that there would be 6 and 8 core i7's rolling out, but i decided to purchase my 4 core, and im happy. These developments are implied and expected, and if we cannot expect or believe that our needs and requests will be met, how can we make wise purchasing decisions? How can we be expected to stick around and just wait for them to throw a bone?
bam!!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username_1 View Post
I can't speak for everyone obviously, as some people are happy with their HD systems, but do Avid know that a lot of people are unhappy with the current situation? The limitations of LE, prices and problems with HD and TDM, and the too many version of Pro Tools? Have Avid shown any indication of changing anything at all?

Basically, my question is can anyone see Avid developing just one native Pro Tools for all hardware in the next few years?

If they know people aren't happy and still continue to do nothing then there is nothing we can do, but if they aren't fully aware of the extent of this then we can try to do something. Maybe we could make a petition thread and try to get our message through.
Yes they are... it's called Media Composer and it is their flagship product. Adding RTAS and Stereo Audio tracks to media composer is just the beginning... eventually everything from PT will be merged into Media Composer... making it one product for everyone's needs, video and audio. Maybe they will call it something different in the end, once everything from PT is merged into it, maybe Media Tools instead of Media Composer... But it's pretty apparent that's what they are working towards.

For the time being, they will try to add more and more of PT's features into MC and more of MC's video features into PT until they can just stick the two together. It'll take at least a couple years... but from everything I hear them saying, cutting out the BS marketing babble, this is pretty much what they are saying for the long term.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Yes they are... it's called Media Composer and it is their flagship product. Adding RTAS and Stereo Audio tracks to media composer is just the beginning... eventually everything from PT will be merged into Media Composer... making it one product for everyone's needs, video and audio. Maybe they will call it something different in the end, once everything from PT is merged into it, maybe Media Tools instead of Media Composer... But it's pretty apparent that's what they are working towards.

For the time being, they will try to add more and more of PT's features into MC and more of MC's video features into PT until they can just stick the two together. It'll take at least a couple years... but from everything I hear them saying, cutting out the BS marketing babble, this is pretty much what they are saying for the long term.
Derek,
You hit the nail on the head !!!
That's exactly what's going to happen to ProTools.
Avid "MediaTools" or "ProComposer" take your pick.
_Fletch
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Very interesting. I figured they would have to bring RTAS to Media Composer to make everything cross-compatible, but it would be logical to bring it all together. Hopefully we might have some new hardware options in a couple of years too.

Thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM

Will this be a good thing?
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM

I think so. It'd be great to finally have everything combined into one program,
and be able to pick and choose any hardware you like. There's too much going on at the moment.

As long as they don't lose touch with the audio side of things, it should be good.