Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM

Default Pro Tools 9.0.5 Not recording or playing back audio

Hey all, I'm having a crap ton of issues. Basically, it comes down to 2 things:

1. Whenever I arm a track to record, then press record, the stop, play & record buttons flash a few times then it doesn't record anything. I've tried the playback engine trick and it works but that leads to another problem.

2. Whenever audio is played back, it doesn't play through anything. Basically, meters move, the time moves forward, everything that should normally happen happens but no audio plays.

I'm running PT 9.0.5, Win 7, Intel Core i5-661, 14 GB ram, 1tb HD and a Mackie Onyx 1640 for the interface. Any help would be amazing!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.5 Not recording or playing back audio

Would be interested to know if you're using firewire - I have a similar topic going with a new PT9/Mbox Pro 3 system and my best guess is that I didn't see the firewire specs for Pro Tools before I ordered the PC. I have the same problem with no audio at times but it interleaves with getting a few seconds of audio then the audio buffer overflow error message, so I'm assuming they are related at this stage.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf View Post
Hey all, I'm having a crap ton of issues. Basically, it comes down to 2 things:

1. Whenever I arm a track to record, then press record, the stop, play & record buttons flash a few times then it doesn't record anything. I've tried the playback engine trick and it works but that leads to another problem.

2. Whenever audio is played back, it doesn't play through anything. Basically, meters move, the time moves forward, everything that should normally happen happens but no audio plays.

I'm running PT 9.0.5, Win 7, Intel Core i5-661, 14 GB ram, 1tb HD and a Mackie Onyx 1640 for the interface. Any help would be amazing!
What's your signal chain. You say that the meters move so, something is getting recorded. Whether you are able to monitor is the problem I think. What kind of monitors do you have?
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:22 PM

With my similar situation I just learnt one of the Pro Tools commandments the hard way "Though shalt not run Pro Tools with a wireless network connection enabled". I thought I had disabled it but not so......

The system has run flawlessly for a few hours now - no transport issues, no error messages, nothing but perfect behaviour. I also stripped it back to use a max of 4 out of 6 cores (and tried just 2 without issue).

One happy Pro Tools user now (and one happy Adam A7X user!)

Lesson learnt....now to make some music!

Integrated IEEE-1394 Firewire Port (VIA)
Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm, SATA 6Gb/s, 32MB Cache
2 x Western Digital 1TB, 64MB, 7200rpm, SATA 6GB/s, Caviar Black
Samsung STORY USB 3.0 1TB (backup)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:56 AM

Well, after completely uninstalling PT9 and reinstalling it, everything works now. I don't know what the issue was but I haven't had any problems.

I'm running my Onyx in via Firewire.

As for meters moving and no monitoring, it was never a problem when recording. The problem came when playing the audio back. Id see waveforms in my edit window but nothing was playing.

Like I said, a fresh reinstall of PT9 seems to have fixed things. Hopefully no more problems