Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 AM

Default recording live show, afraid of crashing

Hi,
i'll record 6 Bands live, about 1 hour, 18 channels each Band on saturday. I use My Powerbook G4 1,5 and will record on an external Lacie FW800 Disc(with enough space). I never recorded 60 mins, 18 Tracks without pushing stop and i don't know if this will work out. Can someone tell me, how to configure my setup best for this issue?? I know i should push the max-track-lenght to infinity. I dont need low latency, no plugins, nothing, i just record and push solo-buttons to make shure, everything is routed right and the signals are good.
Thanks a lot!!

Florian

Powerbook G4 1,5 Ghz, 1,5GB Ram, Lacie 500GB FW800, 002R, PT 7.1 OSX 10.4.8
Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: recording live show, afraid of crashing

Why not just do a test sometime before you go do the session? Put PT in record with 18 tracks and let it run for an hour, see how it does.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM

Set for the highest buffer setting allowed may help.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM

When we record a live show at minimum the recorder (Alesis HD24) gets powered from a UPS; usually the recording desk (if used) and preamps also go on the UPS, not so much as a backup power source, but just to have a nice clean supply, and lower the risk of something getting zapped by a spike on the line. PCs which we may be using for monitoring (Smaart etc) also is on the UPS.

All the rest of the gear (monitors, FOH amps and main desk) are powered from non-UPS.

FWIW…

- Wil
2Gb RAM
Windoze XP 5.01.2600 SP2
Old 09-19-2007, 07:46 PM

I don't think you want to change the max length to infinity. You are better off limiting it to a finite amount, but an amount greater than what you need. Set it to 2 hours if you are recording for one hour.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think you want to change the max length to infinity. You are better off limiting it to a finite amount, but an amount greater than what you need. Set it to 2 hours if you are recording for one hour.
Yes, I have found that setting a record limit is much more stable than allowing it to use the whole hard drive. This applies to my LE system as well as my HD system.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 AM

How do you record 6 bands in an hour? There must be a break to press stop. I'd rent the Alesis HD24, or the new HDX24. Never use a laptop for recording live!!!!!! You are asking for trouble!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Right...and of course adats never malfunction.

Do what the others have said...but test it 2 to 3 times first, not once. For some reason nothing ever goes wrong the first time. At least in my experience. Also BRH is right, there has got to be some setup time in between bands where you can give the harddrive and PC a break. Even if it's only 5 minutes.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
How do you record 6 bands in an hour? There must be a break to press stop. I'd rent the Alesis HD24, or the new HDX24. Never use a laptop for recording live!!!!!! You are asking for trouble!
I'm pretty sure he meant 1 hour, 18 tracks FOR each band.

I recorded 18 tracks, live, on a 1gHz Powerbook about a year ago. I was worried as well, but things went fine. However, I didn't record for an hour straight because I was concerned about crashing just like you. What I did was create a session template and then some pre-named sessions from that template. About every 30 minutes I would open a new session. I had a hand signal I would give the band that they needed to pause a bit longer after a song so I could get the session up and all the tracks in record mode. I could do this very quickly so it wasn't a big deal.

However, I honestly think it was probably unnecessary. Things went smooth and I probably could have recorded sets from beginning to end.

The advice you've gotten here is actually quite good. Since the band doesn't need to monitor itself through Pro Tools (I'm assuming that's the case), you might as well go for the highest buffer setting, and setting the record limit to two hours is a good idea. Also, to build up your confidence in your rig, do what Slim suggested and try recording for an hour or more on all 18 tracks with the interface, computer and hard drive you'll be using at the gig. If it doesn't crash during the test, chances are very good it won't crash during the show.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 PM

I just got the Digi002r and recorded our band last Friday for it's maiden voyage. I had 3 templates set up ahead of time and just opened the session for the next set during our break. I also set the preferences to backup the session every 15 minutes, just in case. 9 tracks at a time, the first set was close to 2 hours long. I recorded straight onto the system drive, which I shouldn't have done, but it worked fine. The ibook has minimal ram, but it was very stable. I recorded at 16/44,100.

18 channels is a lot of tracks to record simultaneously though. I agree you should setup the whole rig, including the mics, run a stereo, tv or some kind of noise that would have the DAW actually creating all 18 wave files at the same time. If your sets are going to be an hour each, test the setup recording up to 2 hours. Push it harder than you will need to in the real recording scenario.

FYI, as much as I love PT LE, my mbox, Digi01 and now Digi002r, if I do it again, I am going to try to rent a Korg D888 or Akai DPS24MKII. Even with my external preamps all rack mounted in the same box as the Digi 002r, it was a pain to hook everything up and that box is pretty heavy to lug around. I wouldn't have to obsess about stability and potential power harness failure. With a HDR, everything needed is in one box, it is stable and when all is said and done, just dump the wave files into the PT system and mix.

Do you really need to use all 18 inputs at a time?

bilco