Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-14-2004, 03:03 AM

Default Copy and drag Bus Assignments?

It's nice to be able to drag and option-drag plug ins around so I can repeat EQ's across several channels, etc. It's also nice to be able to apple-shift-c my plug in settings and paste them into neighboring plug ins as well. It would be SWEET to be able to do these same things with bus assignments. Any thoughts on this subject?

John Gray
Old 09-14-2004, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Copy and drag Bus Assignments?

Been discussed since PT5.1 or whenever drag and drop was interduced.

I've found that for standard bus assignments, headphone, subgroups, etc, it's best to start with a template before tracking. If I find I need more tracks as I record I simply duplicate the track Opt / Sht / D, rename and go about my business. Of course this does nothing for me while mixing regarding FX sends.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:00 PM

Not sure if this helps but...

Select all the tracks you want to alter, then Shift-Option-Click and change your buss assignments.
This also works for enabeling plug-ins on multiple tracks of the same kind (ie. just the mono tracks).
Old 09-17-2004, 04:04 AM

Thanks guys, I use those techniques, I was just wondering if there was any news about the possibility of drag and drop for busses because it would come in handy sometimes, especially to be able to add a bus while playing back (without a click would be nice, too)

Thanks

John
Old 09-17-2004, 09:40 AM

I was promised this back when 5.1.1 first came out by Dave Lebolt and Wendy Abowd at NAMM.. but haven't seen it yet.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 09-18-2004, 03:14 AM

yeah, I feel like a dork asking for this because who the hell am I, and of course why can't I just make a template beforehand, because of course I should intuitively see this kind of thing coming, but it happened again today... 2" 24-track dump from an immaculate Studer 827, through Neve, into HD at 192 kHz, SYNCed to blackburst with a Lynx II, super cool client who we all grew up listening to (OK, generalization, but I bet you have heard these songs before!) who says during a dump "hey, let me hear some verb on those vocals." SO I am in the position of explaining to him how our machine doesn't let us do that without stopping the music first, and he's used to guys just patching something in and turning up a send, and I can't do that in this situation without stopping. Sure, I could also sneak a patch with a mult out of the tape deck in between verses, and into a reverb and deal with it that way but each track sheet for each song was different and no template in the world would help me unless I just made a real nice one with every send on every channel and every aux I might want flown in already but while said client is sitting there next to me and watching what I do, I must admit I don't think this is as realistic as bitching about it every week or so until I can pop in a bus and a reverb while sync dumping into our $50,000 music editor without having to make some kind of excuse each time. Thanks in advance

John Gray
Old 09-18-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:
who says during a dump "hey, let me hear some verb on those vocals." SO I am in the position of explaining to him how our machine doesn't let us do that without stopping the music first, and he's used to guys just patching something in and turning up a send, and I can't do that in this situation without stopping. Sure, I could also sneak a patch with a mult out of the tape deck in between verses, and into a reverb and deal with it that way but each track sheet for each song was different and no template in the world would help me unless I just made a real nice one with every send on every channel and every aux I might want flown in already but while said client is sitting there next to me and watching what I do, I must admit I don't think this is as realistic as bitching about it every week or so until I can pop in a bus and a reverb while sync dumping into our $50,000 music editor without having to make some kind of excuse each time. Thanks in advance

John Gray
Your going throught the desk, right? Just turn up a send on the vocal track on the desk. Patch into the lexicon and send the returns to a new channel. That's it. Hope this helps.
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-20-2004, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Your going throught the desk, right? Just turn up a send on the vocal track on the desk. Patch into the lexicon and send the returns to a new channel. That's it. Hope this helps.
Peace,
Brandon
Nope. This was a bitch about "why dosn't my $50,000 editor do this?" not an attempt to find a work around.
And it's a valid request that has gone back several years. "If I can drop a plug, why can't I drag a send?"
I believe the author would like to here from Digi on this one.